We don't appear to have an overarching thread for next season's cinema ballet broadcasts, so here it is!

Details of the Bolshoi season are here: 

Do we have the Royal Ballet details anywhere yet?  I can't find them. 

55 minutes ago, alison said:

We don't appear to have an overarching thread for next season's cinema ballet broadcasts, so here it is!

Details of the Bolshoi season are here: 

Do we have the Royal Ballet details anywhere yet?  I can't find them. 

I have the following from Salthill Park  arts centre in Bracknell:

ROH Live The Nutcracker Sun 24 Dec 2 pm

ROH Live The Winters Tale Wed 28 Feb 2018 7.15 pm

ROH Live Bernstein Centenary (triple bill) Tues 27 Mar 2018 7.15 pm

ROH Live Swan Lake Tue 12 Jun 2018 7.15 pm

I assume these will also be available in other cinemas here and overseas.

ROH Live 

Edited by AnneMarriott
Add time start for Bernstein Centenary

So,

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, 23rd Oct

The Nutcracker 5 Dec

The Winters Tale Wed 28 Feb 2018 7.15 pm

Bernstein Centenary (triple bill) Tues 27 Mar 2018 7.15 pm

Manon Thu 3 May 2018 7.15 pm

Swan Lake Tue 12 Jun 2018 7.15 pm

• 1 month later...

I've just had an email in from Odeon saying that MyODEON members - of which I appear to be one - can now save 10% on ticket prices by booking online.  Might help slightly to reduce the cost of tickets.  This appears to be an ongoing offer - although the booking fee appears to have been reinstated at some time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve discovered that the university at the end of the road is showing Alice as an Encore screening at considerably less cost than the Odeon in town so I shall be watching that instead. They intend to show a lot of Bolshoi transmissions but I wish they were doing the Royal Ballet as well.

• Like 1

My adult ballet class is going to see our local Picturehouse screening of The Red Shoes in November. It's part of their Sunday Classics season - so look out for it in other towns! (and it's only £5 for members). The Classics seasopn generally is great - I saw 42nd Street a couple of months ago.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 22/01/2018 at 14:24, SPD444 said:

It's just been announced that the ENB/Akram Khan Giselle is being shown at cinemas at the end of April.   Great News.   DVD Next?? ??

On 22/01/2018 at 17:58, Jan McNulty said:

And the official press release:

ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET AKRAM KHAN’S GISELLE COMES TO CINEMAS FOR THE FIRST TIME FROM 25 APRIL 2018

Running time 105 minutes / BBFC TBC / Released from 25 April 2018

Hailed as ‘a masterpiece of 21st century dance' from English National Ballet, Akram Khan’s Giselle is released in cinemas for the first time from 25 April 2018, thanks to a collaboration between English National Ballet and digital commissioning agency The Space, giving ballet fans nationwide the opportunity to see this award-winning production in glorious high definition on the big screen. Recognised as one of the greatest romantic ballets, Giselle has been re-imagined by celebrated choreographer Akram Khan, with Artistic Director and Lead Principal of English National Ballet, Tamara Rojo, dancing the role of Giselle, one of a community of migrant workers cast out of their jobs in a condemned garment factory. 

His first full length ballet, Khan’s Giselle features set and costume designs from Academy Award-winning designer Tim Yip, known for his work on the hit film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and an adaptation of the original Adolphe Adam score by composer Vincenzo Lamagna, orchestrated by Music Director, Gavin Sutherland and performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic. Giselle also features dramaturgy from Ruth Little and lighting design from Mark Henderson.

Alongside Rojo, further Principal casting sees Soloist James Streeter perform in the role of Albrecht, Guest Artist and Principal of American Ballet Theater Jeffrey Cirio perform as Hilarion, and Artist of the Company, Stina Quagebeur perform in the role of Myrtha, Queen of the Wilis. 

The ballet has won an Olivier Award and the South Bank Sky Arts Award for Dance, has received rapturous 5-star reviews and was sold out when performed at London's Sadler's Wells. This is the first time an English National Ballet production has been filmed for cinema, extending the reach of the company beyond its existing national and international touring programme. The film was commissioned by The Space, the digital agency which supports UK arts organisations to grow their audiences across digital, cinema and broadcast platforms.  

‘We are very proud of Akram Khan’s Giselle, a beautiful and original re-imagining of the one of the most traditional pieces of the classical repertoire. At English National Ballet we aim to push the boundaries of ballet, taking the art form to the widest possible audience, and so it seems entirely fitting that this stunning work should be the first production from English National Ballet to be released in cinemas. The company is incredibly excited that our fans across the country and around the world will have the opportunity to see this iconic work on the big screen.’
Tamara Rojo CBE, Artistic Director, English National Ballet 

Filmed live at the Liverpool Empire in October 2017, Akram Khan’s Giselle is directed for the screen by Ross McGibbon.
Co-produced by Manchester International Festival and Sadler’s Wells. Supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England. 

AKRAM KHAN’S GISELLE
IN CINEMAS FROM 25 APRIL 2018

For more information and to book cinema tickets visit www.ballet.org.uk/giselle-cinema
#ENBGiselle

NOTES TO EDITORS  
About English National Ballet
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has played a major role in the growth and history of ballet in the UK. Today, English National Ballet is renowned for taking world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through its national and international tour programme, offsite performances at festivals including Glastonbury and Latitude, its distinguished orchestra English National Ballet Philharmonic, and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice and delivery, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet’s Dance for Parkinson’s. Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo, English National Ballet has gained new acclaim as it introduces innovative new works to the Company’s repertoire while continuing to honour and reinvigorate traditional ballet. www.ballet.org.uk

About Akram Khan Company
In just over fifteen years, Akram Khan Company has established itself as one of the foremost innovative dance companies in the world. Embracing an artistic vision that both respects and challenges Indian kathak form and contemporary dance, Akram Khan has created a substantial body of critically acclaimed work that ranges from classical and modern solos to artist-to-artist collaborations and company productions. The Company has a major international presence and enjoys busy tours that reach out to many cultures and peoples across the globe.
www.akramkhancompany.net

About More2Screen
More2Screen is a leading distributor of Event Cinema with an unparalleled reputation among its blue-chip partners for professionalism, responsiveness and the delivery of great cinema events to audiences around the world for a maximum commercial return.  Founded in 2006 by CEO Christine Costello, it has been a global pioneer in the harnessing of digital technology to bring the very best in live music, performance arts and cultural entertainment to local cinema audiences. In collaboration with its stellar list of long-standing content partners, M2S has acted as consultants, producers and worldwide distributors in bringing over 150 ‘special event’ productions to its network of more than 7,000 cinemas in 65+ international territories. Its extensive catalogue of world-class productions from across the cultural spectrum is second to none and includes many sector ‘firsts’. More2Screen is proud to have been named Global Box Office Award winners in 2014 and 2015 (Event Cinema Association), a Screen International Awards finalist in 2015, 2016 and 2017, and winners of the inaugural Best European Distributor award in 2015. 
www.more2screen.com

About The Space
The Space is a commissioning and development organisation, established by Arts Council England and the BBC to support greater digital access to the arts. The Space is committed to supporting and facilitating the UK arts sector to realise its digital ambitions. The organisation commissions arts projects and provides a production and distribution pipeline to ensure that these projects reach a wide and diverse range of audiences.
https://www.thespace.org/

Edited by alison
Added press release

• 5 weeks later...

I wondered what was going to happen: the standard date for the Encore version of The Winter's Tale - the Sunday afternoon afterwards - also clashes with the date of the Bolshoi broadcast of The Flames of Paris.  It rather looks as though the Encore screenings will be curtailed, if the Odeon website is anything to go by.  If so, that'll be really annoying for me, at least, because I don't think I can make the live screening :(

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Ballet and dance in the cinema 2017-18
  • 1 month later...

There is also a screening of the La Scala version of Le Corsaire by Anne-Marie Holmes in June. This is on at the Barbican in London on 6th June (https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2018/event/teatro-alla-scala-le-corsaire-12a) and a seemingly eclectic range of cinemas elsewhere, such as Bridlington, Builth Wells, Chichester, Ripon and Shrewsbury, all on different dates. There may well be more but it's very difficult to find a complete list of screenings. Search your local area! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pulcinella said:

This is on at the Barbican in London on 6th June

Sadly clashing with the first night of ENB Sleeping Beauty at the Coliseum. Tried searching for encore screenings but - as yet - not found any. As Pulcinella says, there seems to be no single site listing all the screenings. Maybe someone with Italian could tackle La Scala's site?

This Google search might help to narrow it down for those based in the UK:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q="la+scala"+ballet+"le+corsaire"+cinema+site:uk+2018&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&ei=EoPMWpeoJJHTkgXY-q_wAg&start=10&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=647

My experience was that quite a few Odeons at least showed the previous La Scala broadcasts, none of which I was able to see, unfortunately.  Looking at the dates, there are a number of live arts broadcasts around that time, including Bolshoi and Royal Ballet (which, given that it's Swan Lake, may spawn more than the usual number of Encore showings), so I could quite understand individual cinemas not wanting to schedule it live for fear of saturating the market.   My guess is that if it's shown at all it may either be in cinemas which don't normally show the Bolshoi/RB broadcasts, or at some pretty random time, but there won't be any encore screenings as such - those are only scheduled where there is expected to be demand, and I think the uptake for this will probably be pretty low.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks as though the recording to An American in Paris (featuring Cope and Fairchild, I think?) is being broadcast on 16th May - not sure if other dates are available.  I thought we'd mentioned this here, but apparently not.

• Like 3

While hunting around for cinema availability for tonight's live relay of Manon, I've been very surprised to see how much prices vary across the London area - including some suburban Odeons being pricier than the central ones.  Also, there appear to be a limited number of Encore performances - and many of those on Sunday.  Not sure I can cope with Saturday evening, Sunday afternoon and Monday matinee performances within 48 hours!

On 4/10/2018 at 10:11, Geoff said:

Sadly clashing with the first night of ENB Sleeping Beauty at the Coliseum. Tried searching for encore screenings but - as yet - not found any. As Pulcinella says, there seems to be no single site listing all the screenings. Maybe someone with Italian could tackle La Scala's site?

La Scala's Le Corsaire will be transmitted live in cinemas on 16 May:

http://www.allopera.rai.it/en/opere/le-corsaire/

• Like 1

Matthew Bourne's Cinderella  - showing on 15th May in the cinema I was looking at (this is getting ridiculously crowded now!) - comes complete with a satellite Q&A session.

Ha!  Look what I've found for An American in Paris (UK only, but I suspect there are related sites for various other countries):

https://www.anamericaninpariscinema.com/?campaign=AAIPUKsite

Mainly this Wednesday, but a few other dates including Sunday 20th May and 5th June at some of my relatively local Picturehouses.

Now, Allopera, that's how to put the information out so that people can find your showings!

• Like 1

Reading all the reviews of Swan Lake made me determined to see the cinema broadcast at least since I was too busy with family issues outside London when booking opened.  But I was disappointed to see on the ROH website that I would have to go to Worthing or Bogner to see it as I'm still detained in darkest Sussex during the summer.  Luckily a neighbour of my mother told me that Swan Lake is actually being shown in Littlehampton, only 5 minutes away and I've manged to get one of the few remaining seats.   

I think the ROH should review and update its information and for any others who can't get to the ROH, I recommend you check with all your local cinemas just in case.  I'm thrilled I can see the new production, especially since it seems I'm going to be in a capacity audience - so unlike my local cinemas in London which have had far too many empty seats in the past.

But maybe cost is a factor - my senior citizen ticket cost me all of £13.00 with just a 60p booking fee plus 2-for-1 offers. There are some advantages to being on the coast after all (not to mention having a pre-show drink on the beach). Anyone fancy joining me?

Linda

• Like 1

The new Depot cinema ( lovely complex) next to the train station in Lewes is showing Swan Lake on Tuesday June 12th Not much use for you but I wonder if this shows up on the ROH website. It's fairly new and I've only just discovered they show these live relays. 

• Like 1

On 08/05/2018 at 15:43, Amelia said:

La Scala's Le Corsaire will be transmitted live in cinemas on 16 May:

http://www.allopera.rai.it/en/opere/le-corsaire/

What a shame they didn't design a website which works properly.  I believe there were some UK showings tonight, and I would probably have gone had I been able to find out where they were.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

La Scala's Le Corsaire is a glorious romp! I have to admit to a definite partiality to the ballet, because Medora (wonderfully danced in this case by Nicoletta Manni) is such a fiesty heroine, and the instigator of much of the action. When she looks at Conrad at the opening of Act 1, her gaze is partly  'come hither', but also shows amusement, admiration and interest. No mean feat when  surrounded by so many macho men. Timofej Andrijashenko gives us an extremely technically competent Conrad, although given Medora's agency, he's usually playing catch-up. He (he being Conrad) probably wouldn't believe it, however. The two villains of the piece, Lankendem (Marco Agostino) and Brabanto (Antonino Sulera) are suitably villanous while reveling in the technical demands of their roles. Matina Arduino is also feisty as Gulnare. Her domination of the harem, evidenced by the way she treats the major domo in le jardin anime sequence, is proof enough of this. The only slightly unclear attribution relates to the dancer portraying Ali (his role in the pdt sizzles). The theatre website lists Claudio Courello, but other sources indicate that Courello was injured, and replaced by Mattia Semperboni of the corps de ballet. If so, he is a guy to watch. 

Choreographer Anna-Marie Holmes starts the film by talking about the many changes she made, while retaining the Petipa core, and Luisa Spinatelli (sets and costumes) talks about the trully ravishing costumes. Just one question, which someone on this forum must be able to answer. Is the ending happy or sad? Madura and Conrad finish up on a rock, admittedly a larger rock than that in the ENB production, but still a barren rock in the middle of the Mediterranean.  The future on either does not look promising. (Oh, and I should point out that Medora is first out of the water, and assists Conrad. Viva les femmes!)

Edited by jmb
  • Like 1

Have to agree with you jmb about this production which I've just returned from seeing in Builth Wells. Loads of really exciting dancing, especially from Mattia Semperboni as Ali in the Pas de Trois, I don't remember ever seeing anyone turn so fast before in his solo. Really liked Nicolette Manni as Medora, loads of spirit and fabulous dancer. I did wonder what happened to the other characters on the ship, presumed drowned? All in all a really enjoyable evening and came out to a fabulous sunset over the river Wye. What could be better!

• Like 1