28 minutes ago, WoodlandGladeFairy said:

All I really need to do is win the lottery so I can buy all the ballet tickets, alas one must live with reality and there will be some serious decision making on what performances to see live at the ROH and what ones I will go see at the cinema. 

Decision making: Besides winning the lottery I'll have to start again with the Excel spreadsheets... when I know what ENB is going to do and who is coming when to Sadler's Wells etc. ;)

• Like 2

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Petunia said:

Decision making: Besides winning the lottery I'll have to start again with the Excel spreadsheets... when I know what ENB is going to do and who is coming when to Sadler's Wells etc. ;)

And here's me thinking I am the only one with the excel spreadsheet to work out exactly which dates to go! 

I think I'm going to find it tought to do ENB Manon and Swan Lake when it's going to be my busiest season at the ROH - I will probably forego ENB as I will see those ballets at ROH this year. 

• Like 2

(Speaking of which, if anyone’s own spreadsheet would benefit from a prepared list of all ROH performances in the upcoming season - one row per day, all performances listed in one column - I’ve already filled mine in, so PM me your email address and I’ll send you the extract.)

• Like 4

Too many delights too mention, including at least 6 works from my wish list. I'm wielding my casting pen already!

Don't get me wrong, I love both Lantratov and Shklyarov but, hey, let's give the home team a shout before we start shipping in guests :)

Among my potential highlights would be:

Osipova/Muntagirov/Nunez in La Bayadere

also Takada, Kaneko and Lamb as Nikiya and Corrales, Hirano, Ball , Clarke and Ella as Solor

Osipova/Corrales in Don Quixote (despite the production)

Watson and Bonelli (surely?) and Muntagirov (hopefully?) in Mayerling

Ball, Clarke, Muntagirov  in both Winter Dreams and Month in the Country

Hayward and Naghdi getting a crack at Two Pigeons

Takada and O'Sullivan as Juliet; some new Romeos including Ella (and Naghdi/Ball getting more than one show!)

Opportunities for more couples to have a go at Two Pigeons (although I did like the 2015/16 casts - mostly)

Symphony in C with anyone and everyone

plus new line=ups to breathe life into Frankenstein

I have a feeling that this sort of casting might imply the need for some dancers who have taken some of these, and other, roles for a long time to stand down in favour of the up--and-comings. If so, that's a pity in many ways but I would still say, "Bring it on please, Kevin"!

• Like 6

I'm still trying to think of potential couples for Don Quixote that actually work. We already know Vadim and Nunez will most likely be paired. I hope Kevin doesn't just put random principals together. :D I don't think casting worked all that well last time around. 

I also think I read somewhere that Carlos made changes to ACT II? 

Edited by HappyTurk

Some very interesting triples, particularly, and i’m happy to see Frankenstein have another go. Glad that there is more Ashton but still no Daphnis & Chloe (sigh!) or Cinderella. Perhaps it’s the step-sisters (although I can imagine two of the new female principle character artists making it work - I *think* that this has been tried before?) or the cost of a re-design. But there is so much great choreography in it (IMO) that it’s a shame it seems to have fallen out of the regular rep. Symphony in C always welcome & the intensely moving Flight Pattern & Infra too. 

• Like 1

Well now I've had time to look at the full press release as well as the performance dates I can give a more considered opinion of the new schedule. First a request to Mr O'Hare: please, please, please could we have Muntagirov in the cinema Bayadere!!?? I know there are rumours that he may be dancing it but I have wanted to see him as Solor since he first came to RB and to see him at the cinema (and possibly a following dvd; one can only hope!) would be really brilliant. it would also be wonderful if Osipova was cast with him as I have long wanted to see them together but it's never happened. Also could we please have more variety in casting the cinema broadcasts, giving some of the more recent principals/soloists a chance. For example I would love to see Hayward/Sambe in Don Q and Nagdi/Ball in Romeo and Juliet. Just examples, I'm sure others would have other ideas, but it is frustrating for those of us who depend on the cinema broadcasts to see the same casts again and again. As I've said a million times, those who don't know the dancers won't care who's dancing and those who do would like to see different dancers.

It's great we have some Ashton and really pleased to see Patineurs (keep seeing Sambe as the Blue Skater!) and Pigeons (one of my favourite ballets, have nearly worn out the dvd!); would love to see Hayward and Nagdi in the lead. Just slightly disappointed there isn't an Ashton evening as such; pity Patineurs or Month in the Country isn't with Pigeons. Also disappointed there isn't more different Ashton. Given his huge output it would be great to see something that hasn't been staged for a while. However, intrigued to see the RBS doing Pigeons. That is a lovely idea and a great ballet to allow many to be on stage as a friend or a gypsy as well as 4 leading roles.

Re the lack of Swan Lake I've been wondering that as the RB seems to like to film new productions as much as possible to give them greater exposure perhaps this is another reason for it being postponed until later; so it can be filmed again. Just been struck by how often Don Q, Winters Tale and Frankenstein have been filmed for broadcast; it seems more than other ballets. I was particularly annoyed this season when Winters tale was filmed again and not Sylvia which hasn't been filmed for ages.

Anyway, really pleased generally with the new season. For the first time in 3 years I'm not disappointed with the rep. The only problem will be how to afford all the performances and debuts I'm sure I'll want to see! The lack of Onegin is a disappointment but we must leave something for the 2019 season so fingers crossed see that then and also possibly Fille and Sylvia (Hopefully Sylvia will be filmed next time, preferably with Vadim) Also as 2019 is Fonteyn's centenary there should be a celebration of this as nothing has been mentioned for later this season.

• Like 8

Surprised that no-one has commented on the prospect of a new Marriott.  Or is the silence saying more than words can?  Have any of his works stayed in the repertoire after their initial outings?

But delighted that Symphony in C and the Concert are included.  Don't want to see any more Don Qs or Bayaderes thank you - I just think they are do not fit with the RB's style.  What with all the Nuts and R&Js, I suspect it's going to be a cheap year for me.

Wouldn't mind seeing Coppelia again, though.  And I echo IanLond's wish for Daphnis & Chloe.  One of Ashton's best I think. Pigeons, Pats and Month have all had plenty of outings so let's have more of his less frequently performed works.

Linda

• Like 5

I could definitely see Reece Clarke as Solor. Also would love to see Fumi Kaneko as Nikiya. 

(jmhopton: Osipova & Muntagirov danced together in Sylvia last year (admittedly only due to Bonelli being injured). I do agree with the excitement of a prospective Muntagirov/Osipova/Nuñez cast for La Bayadere though.)

For Don Q: Laura Morera strikes me as another potential Kitri? Also Akane Takada. For potential Basilio’s; Muntagirov/Corrales/Bonelli (with Laura perhaps?)/Sambe (definitely). 

I love Mayerling so I don’t mind it coming back so soon. Although, my immediate thought was that it’s possibly there to include Ed Watson’s final performance? :( 

I would like to see Francesca Hayward as Mary this time around (as well as both Osipova & Morera reprising the role). And perhaps some younger Rudolfs. 

Speaking of guests, perhaps David Hallberg will be sufficiently recovered to dance with Natalia in Romeo & Juliet. With so many performances it still leaves plenty of spots for in house debuts as well (with hopefully more than 1 performance each, fingers crossed). Would love to see James Hay as Romeo (although unsure who he would be paired with). Almost dreading casting for this, as I’ll know I’ll probably want to see almost all of them & I’ll have to really restrain myself!

Very excited for the Mixed Bills. I actually haven’t seen any (!) of them besides 2 Pigeons. 

I’ll be interested to to see the seat prices for this new season. When are they typically announced? I’m wondering if the prices that were set for Swan Lake are now permanent or if they were solely to help offset the cost of the new production? Maybe it’s obvious, I don’t know. I know what I’m hoping, of course....

• Like 5

11 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

not bad at all. Pleased to see Firebird, Mayerling,  the various triple bills, and am I the only one on the forum who would like to give Frankenstein another chance? Maybe there will be some changes to it following its run in America. 

Definitely not alone, no. Looking forward to seeing it again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loveclassics said:

Surprised that no-one has commented on the prospect of a new Marriott.  Or is the silence saying more than words can?  Have any of his works stayed in the repertoire after their initial outings?

Most of them, I think, have had two outings, just like (nearly) everybody else's.

I really want to see Hirano as Rudolf. And as many roles as feasible during the season for Campbell and Hay!

But there's really an embarrassment of riches in all ranks and both genders at the RB at the moment, so I'm sure it's going to be nearly as challenging for KOH et al to do the casting as it will be for us to choose who to see! (He could always post on the Forum if he wanted any advice. :D )

• Like 2

Am I imagining things or did the RB used to announce Autumn casting with their yearly schedule up to a few years ago? Does anyone have any idea when Autumn casting will be announced? In time for Premier friends booking on May 29th? Anyway, it's fun to speculate. Perhaps it's had to be delayed these days because of the embarrassment of riches on offer. I agree with bridiem it must be nearly as difficult for KOH to choose dancers as it will be for us to choose performances. I think it's a good job there aren't any Russian Companies coming this summer as it will take ages to save up all I need to see the RB (and even then I'll probably need a substantial lottery win to see everything I'd like!)

Incidentally I too am pleased to see the return of Frankenstein as I really enjoy it as a ballet and might even see it at the ROH as well as the cinema relay. For me it's major flaw is not making more of the actual creation scene. Surely it is the pivotal moment of the book and should be of the ballet? It's great to see the creative 'technology' and wonderful set but there should at least be a pas de deux between Frankenstein and the Creature when the latter is expressing his wonder to be 'alive' and then gradually looking for love from his 'creator' and Frankenstein himself expressing his growing horror as to what he has done and rejecting the Creature, resulting in the Creature then exiting hurriedly in great distress. This would not only explain the creature's subsequent actions but make the ballet more dramatically credible.

• Like 3

Very pleased with the season though wish it included Onegin! The Concert is one of my favourites and I hope they use this  opportunity to give Bonelli/Morera the Mayerling live screening (preferably with a DVD release)!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, loveclassics said:

Wouldn't mind seeing Coppelia again, though.  And I echo IanLond's wish for Daphnis & Chloe.  One of Ashton's best I think. Pigeons, Pats and Month have all had plenty of outings so let's have more of his less frequently performed works.

Linda

By the time Patineurs comes back, it’ll be 8 years since the RB last did it. I have only been attending ballet regularly since a few months after the last run, and had it not featured in the 2016 RBS showcases I would therefore never have had a chance to see it at all. I therefore welcome this revival!

• Like 3

I have rather mixed feelings about the coming season, there is much to enjoy but I am bitterly, bitterly disappointed that there are no programmes dedicated to Fonteyn at all, especially in view of the extensive MacMillan celebrations this year, I would have thought the only British ballerina to bear the title 'assoluta' deserves at least something. 

As for the rest, a good idea to revive Bayadere, personally I don't care much for the production but it gives huge scope to the RB's talented youngsters, with four terrific roles.  I would love to see Haywood and Naghdi alternate with one another as Nikiya and Gamzattii and can't wait to see Sambe as the Golden Idol.  Symphony in C gives huge opportunities for displaying a number of dancers in each movement.  Don Q? well I've already mentioned the couple I want to see but isn't it time Ms Magri got a big role?  I reckon she'd make a fabulous Kitri.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, bangorballetboy said:

Then don't go to see it.  You can go to what looks like an excellent triple bill at Christmas time instead.

As I think I've already said elsewhere, I was struck by the fact that there are three interesting and varied shows running around the Christmas period (including Hansel und Gretel, the opera) all of which are family- and season-appropriate and make a nice change without depriving people of Nutcracker who think it wouldn't be Christmas without it.

I also note that the RB seem to be getting a whole 4-day break over Christmas, which makes a change from previous years when they've had a Christmas Eve matinee and are straight back into a 2-show day on the 27th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

I’m so excited by the new season but have to say I’m totally fed up of Nutcracker every year. 

noooooo! Love Nutcracker! Music fab, and there is some iconic dancing in it. I get swept up in it every year, I can't deny! :-)

• Like 4

Yes, but we have had an awful lot of it. Really, an awful lot! If it was packed into a box and put up in the loft for a while for  a little rest,  it might come out again even more sparkling.....

But it is indeed very welcome that we have other options near Xmas this year - Patineurs for me.

• Like 2

I must admit much as I'm looking forward to seeing Bayadere again (especially with the hope of some exciting debuts!!!) I don't like the RB version and wish we could acquire another one. I have fond memories of going to see POB's version  every day for a week at the Lowry about 12 years ago and this is possibly by favourite version though I like the Bolshoi and Mariinsky as well. I'm not a big fan of the reconstructed final act (though I know it makes more dramatic and plot sense to have it). However, for me you need to leave out too much to accommodate it though at the time the RB acquired it in the 80s I think there may have been issues of orchestra overtime for ballet with the powers that be trying to get programmes finished in 3 hours (not something opera seems to have to bother with). Perhaps it may be possible to review the ballet and put back some of the omissions such as the Indian dance and Nikyia's 'happy' dance at the betrothal when she thinks Solor has given her the flowers. Also, is the slave pas de deux missing? There is no elephant or parrots and the procession that starts the second act which I usually love has hardly anyone in it as there are no Indians and the bronze idol is in the last act. Don't get me wrong, I'm still really looking forward to it. It's been missing for far too long but I would like to see it amended somewhat.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

yes, me too - that would be terrific. Wonder if Kevin susceptible to hints! :-)

I would see that as something for a future season when each of them is debuting in a maximum of one of the roles - not for one in which neither of them has danced either role before.

Meanwhile, a Nunez/Osipova swapsie would be fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Then don't go to see it.  You can go to what looks like an excellent triple bill at Christmas time instead.

Maybe it’s unfounded, but I’m not keen on triple bills as I find they tend to be a bit of a mixed bag. I really want a revival of Cinderella, but I guess it’ll be a while before that happens. I like The Nutcracker, but I think the first part in the living room drags on too much and the second half is much stronger.