1 hour ago, Jane S said:

I remember people saying the Tombeaux tutus were ravishing, some of the most beautiful ever designed! (I thought so too)

Yes, and it was one of the (many) items on my wishlist not to appear in the 18/19 programming (or the 17/18, 16/17, ...) :(  Once they took the boning out, I could find no fault with them.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The RB have posted Vadim rehearsing Solor so I have a feeling he'll get the cinema outing - WHICH IS GRAND!!!   I look forward to a shot by Corrales as well.  He seems to me to be built for it somehow.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Sim said:

The Morera/Bonelli partnership in this ballet was astonishing, and just as worthy, IMHO, as Osipova/Watson for recording.....oh dear, choices, choices!!  I wish we could have them both!

True. I wouldn't mind seeing that either! I'm hoping they at least record Bayadere so I can buy it on dvd, too. But I think I'm just being greedy now. Would love to see Vadim and Natalia perform together for that.....

• Like 3

Firebird/Month in the Country/Symphony in C - pretty much my dream mixed bill!

HOW many Romeo & Juliets?

And it's nice to see a range of things available over Christmas for a change - the Patineurs triple and Hansel und Gretel (the opera) as well as the ubiquitous Nutcracker.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sim said:

Or, Osipova with special guest Shklyarov.....he is a sensational Solor (just as I am sure Vadim will be!).

I'll admit to that particular thought crossing my mind - much though I love the RB's up-and-comings I'd give a lot for them to sign him on this summer's transfer market, especially given next season's repertoire.

• Like 3

There are some things I'm very pleased to see in the announcement, but for my taste a season that is split - very roughly - into 1/3 19th century classics, 1/3 Macmillan and 1/3 everything else is not exactly well-balanced!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sim said:

Or, Osipova with special guest Shklyarov.....he is a sensational Solor (just as I am sure Vadim will be!).

Yes please and I'd also love to see Shklyarov in Mayerling and MacMillan's Romeo & Juliet, neither of which he has danced before. We can hope :) 

I also agree that Corales will make a terrific Solor ! 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

Is it for certain that Shklyarov will be guesting next season? Other than Vadim, I really wouldn't know who to cast as Solor (among the principals). 

No, not at all.....it is simply my wish!!  :)

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

Other than Vadim, I really wouldn't know who to cast as Solor (among the principals). 

I agree, which is one of the reasons I would LOVE to see Shklyarov guest in this.....I think there are more possibilities in the lower ranks than in the principal one at the moment, but not sure how many are ready for this one next season.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sim said:

I agree, which is one of the reasons I would LOVE to see Shklyarov guest in this.....I think there are more possibilities in the lower ranks than in the principal one at the moment, but not sure how many are ready for this one next season.  

Actually, I totally forgot about Hirano. I think he would surprise us if he got the chance. I imagine if Shklyarov does guest, the other two would be Hirano and Vadim. But if not, then replace Shklyarov with Bonelli.  * That is if there are only three casts. 

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 1

Not sure I'd like any sort of external guest artist taking on Crown Prince Rudolf: it does seem to me the sort of role you ideally need to have grown up through the company to take on, rather than being parachuted in from outside, given all the interactions with the rest of the cast and so on that you have.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, alison said:

Not sure I'd like any sort of external guest artist taking on Crown Prince Rudolf: it does seem to me the sort of role you ideally need to have grown up through the company to take on, rather than being parachuted in from outside, given all the interactions and so on that you have to do.

I tend to agree with that, however I could make an exception in the case of one non RB dancer: Vlad Lantratov.

• Like 1

Delighted so far with Bayadere, Ashton works, a good number of mixed bills which will be perfect to take my daughter to (lots of different choreographers so a good education!) and look forward to seeing Winter Dreams. 

Looking forward to seeing what the RBS contribution to the mixed bill will be.

1 hour ago, HappyTurk said:

Just realized Don Quixote will have a quite long run. More debuts perhaps?

* Actually, it's not that long. So probably no debuts; just the usual: Nunez, Osipova, Takada, and Lamb. 

Could be a good one for Corrales?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Blossom said:

It would be a mistake not to cast him. He has the bravado for it! In fact, I would like to see him with Takada. I feel like they would work together well. 

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blossom said:

No Acosta this time around, so a Basilio vacancy.  Anyone here see Corrales dance the Don Q pdd at Emerging Dancer?  Sensational is an understatement,   An Osipova/Corrales Don Q quickens my pulse just thinking about it.

• Like 3

On the subject of possible guests: A propos of a guest in Mayerling, Shklyarov seems to be getting to know the company through the guesting, but Alison's  is a good point about how the role is so embedded in the fabric of the company and its history. I would be very happy to see Shklyarov  as Romeo, especially as he has said it is a role he would like  to dance in the MacMillan repertoire..Lantratov would be a very interesting and maybe an inspired  choice in Mayerling! And what about Leonid Sarafanov, while we are looking east - not Mayerling but Romeo or Bayadere.. (some amazing dancing on display by him as Solor on YouTube)?...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MAB said:

I tend to agree with that, however I could make an exception in the case of one non RB dancer: Vlad Lantratov.

I'd be happy to see Lantratov in pretty much anything. Has he ever guested with the RB or, for that matter, any other companies?

3 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

I'd be happy to see Lantratov in pretty much anything. Has he ever guested with the RB or, for that matter, any other companies?

He's dancing Giselle with Nunez  this weekend  at Teatro di San Carlo, Naples..

• Like 3

Have had a good look at the 18/19 season and it's pretty solid, with quite a few ballets off my personal wish list, chiefly 'Mayerling', 'La Bayadère', 'Symphony in C., 'The Concert' and 'The Firebird'.

Also excited about 'Winter Dreams'. 

All I really need to do is win the lottery so I can buy all the ballet tickets, alas one must live with reality and there will be some serious decision making on what performances to see live at the ROH and what ones I will go see at the cinema. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sim said:

Is it Acosta's DonQ that is being presented?  Just wondering as they say 'from the 19th century'. 

Fraid so Sim: the listing for the cinema transmission clearly says "Carlos Acosta's staging of Don Quixote, Tuesday 19 February'. Too much to hope that some staff person might do some (always tactful of course) "invisible mending"?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

The RB have posted Vadim rehearsing Solor so I have a feeling he'll get the cinema outing - WHICH IS GRAND!!!   I look forward to a shot by Corrales as well.  He seems to me to be built for it somehow.  

Who is Vadim?  I am not so familiar with the Royal Ballet as to know first names.

• Like 5

Actually, that is quite exciting.  At least two triple bills where I want to see everything on it, and another one that is a definite possible.  And at least two full length works that I shall be saving my pennies for.  I haven't seen La Bayadere for ages.  Perhaps someone could ask Hayward what days she is performing on, so I can sort my diary out in advance? :)

Shame about Cinderella, but maybe Mr O'Hare has it earmarked for the following season? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scheherezade said:

They would be perfect together. Maybe a touch of the barnstorming Osipova/Vasiliev Don Q.

Would that they could have a different orchestration/conductor.  That's ultimately what does this production in for me ... but I realise I'm very much out on a limb hereabouts on this particular score.  (Pun intended.)  

• Like 1

Just now, Bruce Wall said:

Would that they could have a different orchestration/conductor.  That's ultimately what does this production in for me ... but I realise I'm very much out on a limb hereabouts on this particular score.  (Pun intended.)  

I'm with you on the orchestration/conducting, Bruce. It's all too toned-down and muted. Bring back the traditional orchestration!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sim said:

The Morera/Bonelli partnership in this ballet was astonishing, and just as worthy, IMHO, as Osipova/Watson for recording.....oh dear, choices, choices!!  I wish we could have them both!

I saw both casts and I found Morera/Bonelli more moving, nuanced and absorbing. Plus there's already a Watson DVD, so I'd love to have their performance recorded.

• Like 7