2 minutes ago, Sim said:

I hope that the good thing about the long R&J run is not only that we can get to see the "junior" principals and first soloists get more than one show each,  but also that we can see some new Juliets.....O'Sullivan?  Magri?  Gasparini?   Just my wish list....

yes, there is that - which will raid my wallet! lol

And they do seem quite spread out, so less danger of becoming overloaded with it, and so losing its dramatic hold

• Like 3

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Sim said:

I hope that the good thing about the long R&J run is not only that we can get to see the "junior" principals and first soloists get more than one show each,  but also that we can see some new Juliets.....O'Sullivan?  Magri?  Gasparini?   Just my wish list....

And maybe a Romeo for Richardson, Sissens, Sambe and certainly Hay? Those are added to my wish list.  

• Like 9

• John Mallinson changed the title to Royal Ballet 2018/19 Season
9 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

am I the only one on the forum who would like to give Frankenstein another chance?  

I've always quite liked it - though there are a couple of scenes i'd cheerfully trim or cut completely, so wouldn't call it unmissable

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Sim said:

I would give it another chance if someone told me it had been completely re-choreographed....

Not completely, surely, Sim?Yes, i was derivative but I still found it watchable. Some reworking, trimming, more emphasis on the psychological basis for the monster's development would definitely help but I've seen far worse at the ROH.

• Like 2

Just now, ninamargaret said:

I get the impression you don't like it!!

Indeed not!  I did see it three times, with different casts, just to make sure, but I'm afraid it just didn't float my boat.  As a matter of fact, I felt as if I were sinking further down the longer it went on.  Yes there were a couple of good pdd, but that isn't enough to make me spend any money seeing it again.  I'm glad there are enough people who want to see it again to make it worth reviving;  it must have cost a bomb to produce!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Not completely, surely, Sim?Yes, i was derivative but I still found it watchable. Some reworking, trimming, more emphasis on the psychological basis for the monster's development would definitely help but I've seen far worse at the ROH.

Not sure if I've seen a worse full length, though it's a close call between it and Isadora.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sim said:

I would give it another chance if someone told me it had been completely re-choreographed....

It was 'tweaked' in San Francisco!

I, for one, hope that the cast which was listed but did not perform last time around (Nunez/Muntagirov) and other new leads will be fielded next season. You never know, they might help us to see the work differently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sim said:

Yes, that is a late start to the season, all because of the Ring Cycle???  So we will have four full months with no RB, no visit from one of the Russian companies and not much else happening visit-wise?  

no Glastonbury either  :-(

" Within the Golden Hour by Christopher Wheeldon, with new design by Jasper Conran"

A quick search online indicates Jasper Conran has previously done sets & costumes, including for ballet  (I just associate the name with homeware, fashion, eyewear & perfume!).

I hope his new design for Within the Golden Hour does include the costumes, because IIRC, those shorts & belts for the men were not flattering. I don't think the women's costumes were great either.    Although after Erdem's recent designer costume contribution, perhaps I should be careful what I wish for...  ;)

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Indigo said:

" Within the Golden Hour by Christopher Wheeldon, with new design by Jasper Conran"

A quick search online indicates Jasper Conran has previously done sets & costumes, including for ballet  (I just associate the name with homeware, fashion, eyewear & perfume!).

I hope his new design for Within the Golden Hour does include the costumes, because IIRC, those shorts & belts for the men were not flattering. I don't think the women's costumes were great either.    Although after Erdem's recent designer costume contribution, perhaps I should be careful what I wish for...  ;)

I've never seen Tombeaux, but judging by the pictures I've seen Jasper Conran's costumes for it were gorgeous. Others here can no doubt confirm or otherwise!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Most notably Tombeaux

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Not sure if I've seen a worse full length, though it's a close call between it and Isadora.

I remember Mary Queen of Scots by Scottish Ballet a very long time ago - approx. 100 people in the theatre.... that was a very bad one!

32 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I wish we could establish a house rule: 'No vintage underwear'

• Like 7

Plenty to look forward to - fantasy casting time for Symphony in C!  Absolutely love that ballet and delighted it is coming back. Like many, agree it's a shame about Onegin - it's been quite a while now so fingers crossed for next time round. Great re Two Pigeons, Month, Patineurs, Winter Dreams - some of my all time favourite one act ballets and wonderful to have the Pite back again. Sadly got a bit carried away with speculation about Cinderella being revived - again perhaps one for next year? I'm in the 'prepared to give Frankenstein another go' camp - it's never going to be a desert island ballet but would love to see Kish in this again - I thought it was one of his best ever roles. Not sure I'm up for months of R&J - I would quite like this to disappear for a good few years (bottoms on seats notwithstanding) and come back really fresh but no doubt when I see the casts, I will be reaching for the credit card once more. All in all really quite excited about this - a big please to Vadim as Rudolf!

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Indigo said:

33 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I've never seen Tombeaux, but judging by the pictures I've seen Jasper Conran's costumes for it were gorgeous. Others here can no doubt confirm or otherwise!

The tutus for Tombeaux are absolutely gorgeous.  He did even more costume designs for David Bintley including Edward ll.

He also did the costumes and set and costumes for Galina Samsova's productions of Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake for Scottish Ballet.  Swan Lake was particularly ravishing.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

Hopefully Osipova and Watson perform again for Mayerling and they record it so I can buy a dvd! :D

The Morera/Bonelli partnership in this ballet was astonishing, and just as worthy, IMHO, as Osipova/Watson for recording.....oh dear, choices, choices!!  I wish we could have them both!

• Like 8