Am pretty happy with next season, although very disappointed not to have Onegin.  How long will we have to wait?!  Am quite surprised that they are not showing the new Swan Lake again.

Am particularly happy with all of the below, with the exception of Frankenstein.  I can't believe they are reviving it, but I guess that once again mine is a voice in the wilderness!  Is it Acosta's DonQ that is being presented?  Just wondering as they say 'from the 19th century'.  Can't wait to see the Ashton ballets.  I will definitely be skipping Nutcracker as I really want to see something else at Christmas!

The Season will feature a number of revivals from the 19th century including: La BayadèreDon Quixote, The Nutcracker and the 20th century, including: The FirebirdFredrick Ashton's Les Patineurs, The Two Pigeons, A Month in the Country, Kenneth MacMillan's Winter Dreams, Mayerling, and Romeo and Juliet, Jerome Robbins's The Concert and George Balanchine's Symphony in C.

Modern day revivals in the 2018/19 Season include Asphodel Meadows and Frankenstein by Liam Scarlett, Within the Golden Hour by Christopher Wheeldon, with new design by Jasper Conran, Infra by Wayne McGregor, and Flight Pattern by Crystal Pite.

• Like 5

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fabulous news!!!!! Several items from my wish list including Bayadere (which ticks all the anniversary boxes of Petipa, Nureyev and Fonteyn), 2 Pigeons, Patineurs, Month in the Country and Winter dreams. Like Anna C above my only disappointment was no Onegin but I suppose we have to leave something for another season! Some great programmes filmed for cinema as well. Where are the details; dates etc? Do they follow later?

• Like 4

Well, a lot of people will be happy about the Bayadere and the Pat/Pig (assuming it *is* actually that).  I was wondering whether Winter Dreams and Month in the Country might feature in a bill of works inspired by Russian literature, but we shall see.  Like Sim, I'm a bit surprised not to see any repeats of Swan Lake immediately, but maybe they're giving everyone time to have a rethink about whether there are things which don't work.  Wonder whether Frankenstein will get a reworking?  I think it's had a couple of runs in San Francisco by now, hasn't it?  And I'm assuming R&J at the beginning of the season, if it has to fit in with the Ring Cycle.  Oh, and glad to see Flight Pattern returning, since I had to miss it last year.

Alison, Romeo and Juliet appears to be at the end of the season as it's being filmed for cinema release 11th June 2019. Yes I too am a bit surprised as to no Swan lake repeats now I've had time to think about it but with so many other treasures on offer I don't really care!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alison said:

Well, a lot of people will be happy about the Bayadere and the Pat/Pig (assuming it *is* actually that).  I was wondering whether Winter Dreams and Month in the Country might feature in a bill of works inspired by Russian literature, but we shall see.  [...]  And I'm assuming R&J at the beginning of the season, if it has to fit in with the Ring Cycle. 

Oops, wrong in just about every conceivable respect :)  So, just no ballet at all during the Ring?  Mid-October is a very late start compared with what we've been used to in recent years.

Didn't expect the Cherkaoui, though ... and hoping there's something interesting happening at Sadler's Wells during early spring.

Mayerling 08/10 to 30/10

La Bayadere 01/11 to 17/11

Infra/The Unknown Soldier/Symphony in C 20/11 to 29/11

The Nutcracker 03/12 to 15/01

Les Patineurs/Winter Dreams/The Concert 18/12 to 04/01

Asphodel Meadow/The Two Pigeons 18/01 to 13/02

New Scarlett for the RBS/The Two Pigeons 12/02 to 16/02

Don Quixote 15/02 to 04/04

Frankenstein 05/03 to 23/03

Romeo & Juliet 26/03 to 11/06

Within the Golden Hour/New Side Larbi Cherkaoui/Flight Pattern 08/05 to 21/05

The Firebird/A Month in the Country/Symphony in C 04/06 to 14/06

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

No sign of any dates or the configuration of the mixed bills that I can see yet...

They are there under the specific Autumn 2018 heading- so SiC with infra and the new Marriot in November is the first one....

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:36, bangorballetboy said:

World Ballet Day returns on 2 October.

26 performances of R&J, including 2 schools' matinées!

McGregor is also doing a new full length, the "first part" of which will be premiered on tour in LA.

Edited by alison

2 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

26 performances of R&J, including 2 schools' matinées!

McGregor is also doing a new full length, the "first part" of which will be premiered on tour in LA.

Not sure how that constitutes 'full length'! Seems a bit strange to premiere a work before it's complete. (But by the time it's shown in London the following season, it will be complete.)

• Like 1

Yes, that is a late start to the season, all because of the Ring Cycle???  So we will have four full months with no RB, no visit from one of the Russian companies and not much else happening visit-wise?  Aaarrggghhh!   Will have to start saving my pennies now so that I can perhaps go to Paris or another European city to catch some classical ballet....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Not sure how that constitutes 'full length'! Seems a bit strange to premiere a work before it's complete. (But by the time it's shown in London the following season, it will be complete.)

Seems that we've got to have at least one annual McGregor, no matter what....

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Pleased to see Don Quixote -   but no immediate follow up for the new Swan Lake production -  any comments ?  I was rather  hoping to see Hayward as Odette.

My guess it will open the 19/20 season - or dominate the autumn anyway. So you may well get your wish! :-)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes, that is a late start to the season, all because of the Ring Cycle???  So we will have four full months with no RB, no visit from one of the Russian companies and not much else happening visit-wise?  Aaarrggghhh!   Will have to start saving my pennies now so that I can perhaps go to Paris or another European city to catch some classical ballet....

Yes, thank God it's such a good September at Sadler's Wells!

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 4

Delighted to see The Firebird, Symphony in C, Flight Pattern, Les Patineurs and Asphodel Meadows. And that The Two Pigeons is back. Always pleased to see Mayerling and R&J. Surprised no Swan Lake, but as Alison says maybe that's to wait and see how it's bedded down in year 1. The new Marriott work sounds interesting, but I hope not relying too heavily on film footage etc which can be very effective but can also be distracting - depends how it's used. I think a little of Don Q goes a long way, so I'm not thrilled to see it back. And ditto re La Bayadere, in fact, although obviously the Shades Act is wonderful so I will look forward to seeing it again. I was a little disappointed when I first saw the lists, but now I'm contemplating the actual performances - with the brilliant dancers we currently have - I can't wait!

• Like 2

Overall I'm pretty pleased - at least three really good mixed bills, which is great news.

I'd like to have seen them doing more for women choreographers - making a headline of a Linbury commission from Aletta Collins shouldn't fool anyone.  (I know there's also the Flight Patterns revival, but I'd say that, given its success, that picked itself.)

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, alison said:

Oops, wrong in just about every conceivable respect :)  So, just no ballet at all during the Ring?  Mid-October is a very late start compared with what we've been used to in recent years.

Well the first Mayerling is on 8 October, which I don't think is much later than usual is it?

3 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Well the first Mayerling is on 8 October, which I don't think is much later than usual is it?

Well, recent RB seasons have started, I think, in the early 20s or even late teens in September.  And it's not as if the season runs any later in the summer to compensate.  Assuming a similar number of performances to previous years, that suggests a more compressed season, which I hope won't have any adverse effects on the dancers.

17 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

See here for production run dates.

The ballet season starts 1.5 weeks later than 2017/18.

Smashing! That's what I was after. Thank you. 

Edited to add that the matinee distribution is much, much better than last season. Matinees galore for some programmes and i think only one that doesn't have one at all.

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 2

I will look forward to Symphony in C (twice!), Asphodel Meadows, Infra and Flight Pattern in particular. Always enjoy Nutcracker and Bayadere, and generally speaking, nothing that makes me shudder with dread. Though 24 R&J's does seem a tad excessive!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, zxDaveM said:

I will look forward to Symphony in C (twice!), Asphodel Meadows, Infra and Flight Pattern in particular. Always enjoy Nutcracker and Bayadere, and generally speaking, nothing that makes me shudder with dread. Though 24 R&J's does seem a tad excessive!

I hope that the good thing about the long R&J run is not only that we can get to see the "junior" principals and first soloists get more than one show each,  but also that we can see some new Juliets.....O'Sullivan?  Magri?  Gasparini?   Just my wish list....

• Like 9