Best Teachers in the North East?

Angeline NEDC

I’m looking for recommendations for the best dance teachers in the North East, and I know as a community you are likely the most informed in the UK on such matters.

Mostly I am interested in sourcing classical ballet teachers, but I am keen to hear recommendations for all the primary theatre branch subjects and contemporary dance too. 

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Many thanks, and kindest wishes, 
Angeline 

• Like 1

Hi Angeline,

I do remember you being a lovely teacher when you taught at Dance City!

There is a wonderful Cecchetti teacher called Ann Loades; I believe she is a Fellow. She lives in Scotland but does travel to Newcastle to teach. Lorraine Jukes is also an excellent Cecchetti teacher; both are strict, including with adults, but in a good way - they take adults seriously. Julia Williamson trained as a teacher with Ann and teaches at St Hilda's Ballet School in Jesmond. She's very good with both children and adults. Emily Wallace, who also trained as a teacher with Ann, teaches Cecchetti in Sunderland and has a real love of ballet and great sense of humour. 

Further south, and RAD, in Darlington Irene Hand is great - very thorough. One of those teachers whose words come back to you years later when you're doing a certain step in a crowded class, and you're glad she took the time to really explain the mechanics of it. And Rachael Tiffany puts together wonderfully dancey combinations for adults.  

Hi RHowarth, thank you very much, that is very kind.  Sadly I am yet to be well enough to teach regularly again myself, even after all these years (Dance City being my last hoorah - I so miss it!), but I am hoping to start building a team around me who can actualise the vision I have for the co-op.  I am also searching out potential teachers who might be able to assist a few private vocational students who have contacted me looking for supplementary training.  

Thanks so much for your suggestions, I know what my work will be today :)  By the way, if you haven’t already do please check out the NEDC Facebook Page - we have a few events we are on the cusp of announcing that you might be interested in.  Thanks again! 

• Like 1

Hi Angeline,

I'm sorry to hear that. I particularly remember learning one of the shades solos from Bayadere with you - and I did your summer classes at Gateshead College too; must have been 2011.

I'm in a mad rush now but I will send you a PM later today with contact details for all those teachers, as well as a bit more info, as they may be hard to track down online.

I've been joined up the the NEDC email list from the start and have loved the way things have seemed to be ramping up lately. I would certainly encourage others to check it out! 

• Like 2