Wayne McGregor's latest project: Winged Bull in the Elephant Case

• 2 weeks later...

Have just,watched this. Like Ian MacMillan I totally lost my way but enjoyed the Dancing, particularly Ferri. Apart from losing my way I found the whole thing difficult to see - dark clothes, low lighting, low lit venues. I may just be getting old but I do like to see what I'm supposed to be looking at! I know I'm not the first poster to complain about this. And I was fascinated to see how many people were involved in making the programme -should think they were all falling over each other!

Edited by ninamargaret
Spelling correction
  • Like 2

Nina, I agree about the numbers involved - and that takes me to a frequent niggle about the credits on BBC programmes.  Even on a fairly big screen, the numbers named and font size went past so quickly that it was only by going back to the link on John's original post that I was able to confirm that it was Joanna McGregor that I'd seen as pianist.

48 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Nina, I agree about the numbers involved - and that takes me to a frequent niggle about the credits on BBC programmes.  Even on a fairly big screen, the numbers named and font size went past so quickly that it was only by going back to the link on John's original post that I was able to confirm that it was Joanna McGregor that I'd seen as pianist.

I cheated by recording it and watching it this morning so could use the pause button!  But in general I agree about font sizes - thought it was just my elderly eyes.

I very much enjoyed the latest Wayne McGregor production and I’m sure I’d gain more from further viewing.  There’s a great deal going on and it may well be there’s simply too much.  I thought a lot of the dance worked well in the National Gallery environment, particularly the Alessandra Ferri ‘Encounter’ section and I very much liked the ensemble for ‘Return’ with Beethoven’s ‘Appassionata’.  The contrast with the slate mine scenes was fine and I was impressed with Tunde Jegede’s solo ’cello, ‘The Elements: Earth’.  The extraordinary contortions of the male dancer were also telling; was the close up photography of the muscles mirroring the folds in the slate mine?  I thought it very brave to include the murmurations film, surely some of the most inspiring movement in the natural world where dance can not hope to compete in terms of fluidity and shape. 

The sense of ‘busyness’ and questions wanting answers for me led to a slight feeling of irritation.  I like Clemency Burton-Hill as a presenter but I did think more explanation would have been helpful.  Which paintings were moved to the slate mine, what characters drawn from the paintings were the dancers presenting, was there more of a narrative than simply five titles for the sections, why the choice of music, and why the murmurations film?  When in London for the last couple of Winter’s Tales, I’m intending to visit the exhibition at the National Gallery where some further information may be gleaned.  I get the impression the film will be on a permanent loop as part of the exhibition.  That would be interesting - I very much enjoyed the Today documentary loop which was at the National Portrait Gallery last year, with ad hoc audiences forming, giving a sense of performance.

I’m not saying that viewers should be spoon fed and told what to think, but given the wealth of talent going into the production, surely a more helpful programme note would have been merited?  The programme was not highlighted in Radio Times at all (it was simply on the listings page) nor from what I can tell in the media and it seems a bit disappointing that such artistic endeavour is not brought to attention.  As others have said the production drew on a great number of artists, including I’m pleased to say Charlotte Edmunds. 

I am a bit concerned that failure to publicise new work is becoming a more general problem.  For example the Bernstein Triple Bill to me has been ill served by the Royal Opera House website - poor casting information, little signposting of the music, no explanation of titles or themes, and it took two weeks to put the Insights programme on the web.  More information was provided by dancers’ social media posts than by the ROH’s website.  I can't understand why the fall back position is so often to hide a light under a bushel and I’m afraid there is a real danger that such approaches will exclude many from the arts, programmes being created solely for the initiated, which ultimately could end up in programmes being made just for the performers.  I would suggest there’s an unhealthy arrogance in the ‘don’t explain’ stance taken too readily by some.

Edited by Ian Macmillan
Font size adjustment
  • Like 1

yes, the level of explanation was unusually scant - normally its the other way round, with all explanation then snippets or highlights of whatever they are discussing - which I find REALLY irritating. This was at least a bit challenging in that respect - and as I recorded it, I will watch again (though probably won't end up any the wiser! :-)  )

I was pleased to visit the National Gallery to see the Manod exhibition which include a loop of the Winged Bull in an Elephant Case.  Disappointingly the exhibition was opposite the shop, by the cloakrooms so no doubt a good footfall but pretty noisy and didn't really lend itself to groups being able to watch the film.  The loop didn't include the Clemency Burton-Hill introduction.  

There are some interesting photos - historic and of the present day (abandoned) mine.  The exhibition includes a few more explanatory notes - largely as set out on the press notice:

https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/about-us/press-and-media/press-releases/manod-the-nation-s-treasure-caves  

I hadn't appreciated that the entire National Gallery collection went to Manod.  

Not included in the press notice but part of the information displayed, there was a useful reference to the destruction of art in Mosul in 2015, including the statue of a winged bull at the gates of the ancient city of Nineveha.  It was also helpful to have the subtitles for Isaiah Hull’s preface which I’d had difficulty hearing on iPlayer.

The information suggests the characters are drawn from just one painting - not named but Titian’s Bacchus and Ariadne as seen on the film.  But I didn’t get a sense that the dancers were Titian’s characters or if there was supposed to be any direct link.

The exhibition is very much presented as a defence of art against the ravages of war and the need for extraordinary protection.  But I do wonder if the arts might do a little more to avoid possible self inflicted injury where choosing to be deliberately obscure and of relevance to fewer and fewer cognoscenti.

Given the resources going into this project, I have to say that a little more thought to communication and engagement would have been welcomed.

• Like 2

On 20/03/2018 at 14:05, JohnS said:

I am a bit concerned that failure to publicise new work is becoming a more general problem.  For example the Bernstein Triple Bill to me has been ill served by the Royal Opera House website - poor casting information, little signposting of the music, no explanation of titles or themes, and it took two weeks to put the Insights programme on the web.  More information was provided by dancers’ social media posts than by the ROH’s website.  I can't understand why the fall back position is so often to hide a light under a bushel and I’m afraid there is a real danger that such approaches will exclude many from the arts, programmes being created solely for the initiated, which ultimately could end up in programmes being made just for the performers. 

I quite agree.

I see the winged bull statue is now in place in Trafalgar Square so have added a link:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/mar/28/winged-bull-syrup-cans-unveiled-fourth-plinth-trafalgar-square

The exhibition has some references to both the Mosul destruction and the Trafalgar Square winged bull.

As an aside, living out in the sticks has many attractions but there are one or two downsides, not least when landline/broadband fails, particularly as mobile coverage is at best flaky.  Pleased that the landline has been repaired bringing with it internet access and able to catch up on a few things, including the Ballet Forum.  It's been pretty unsettling the last 48 hours being without modern communications.

I went to look at this in the National Gallery on Thursday- and totally agree JohnS that the siitng of the small exhibition ( which is very interesting indeed) and the screen showing McGregor's work, is terrible- in a very busy corridor- so I couldn't really enjoy it- a shame- I wonder why they didn't give it a special room and a couple of benches? Especially, as you say, after a lot of resources have gone into it. I am afraid noone else stopped to even glance at it while I was there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is currently available to watch on the BBC iplayer, for those in the UK, and is well worth a viewing.  The contortionist segments should come with a "don't attempt this at home" warning, however!  Enjoyed Alessandra Ferri, and I always find Fukiko Takase mesmerising - I'd say she is my favourite contemporary dancer. 

Edited by Quintus