Short video feature on the Royal Ballet's Steven McRae and Alexander Campbell

Yet another cold, but still another deadline...it's been raining for days....winter has been going on for at least a year...unable to go to any ballet - yes, a bottle of 'McRae' to spritz round the house is JUST what's needed!!

• Like 3

Really good documentary. Made me cry too. I've always liked them both a lot but now my admiration  is even greater- they have both overcome so much and as we know many other young dancers also leave home and family and struggle with loneliness,  injury and  more. Humbling!

I do hope Steven recovers soon from his current injury, I miss him.

Wouldn't it be good if this was just number 1 in a series!

• Like 6

What a wonderful film. Interesting and honest and I found it desperately moving.

Both clearly had an innate talent. Their families were so full of love and so brave about 'losing' them. And must have given them a superb base which enabled them to fulfil their talent and launch their careers. So I hope that in spite of the loss they know that they 'did right' by them.

• Like 5

I felt it was too short and rushed - Australian Story often does two-parters and this I feel should have been such. Did anyone else get the impression the two men don't actually get on at all?

I did laugh watching Alexander coming out of the stage door at QPAC to be greeted by the entire family - I was (just) off-camera left, desperately avoiding being caught on film as I had actually sneaked up to Brisbane for the weekend, having fudged my actual whereabouts to family and most friends!

I was so pleased to see Winter's Tale live finally, and thrilled my third and final show was Bennet Gartside and Marianela Nuñez, who were utterly absorbing and said so much just with their eyes.

• Like 5

I felt it was too short too (but then I am somewhat biased!).

Does Australian Story cover just Australians abroad?

I expect there to be a feature on Lachlan Monaghan before too long (and yes, I am biased on that one too!).

• Like 2

I so enjoyed this film. What wonderful supportive families they have. I guess you would expect them to be close because of where they're from - but that's not what decides friendship or intimacy. Alexander came across as a really nice guy, I also had no idea of his hearing difficulties, it's an example of his character that he had just got on with it his whole life and had learnt to lip read. He did appear lonely though and I hope he meets someone soon - (maternal instincts going into overdrive 🤗).

• Like 6

On 3/1/2018 at 20:16, Sophoife said:

I felt it was too short and rushed - Australian Story often does two-parters and this I feel should have been such. Did anyone else get the impression the two men don't actually get on at all?

I did laugh watching Alexander coming out of the stage door at QPAC to be greeted by the entire family - I was (just) off-camera left, desperately avoiding being caught on film as I had actually sneaked up to Brisbane for the weekend, having fudged my actual whereabouts to family and most friends!

I was so pleased to see Winter's Tale live finally, and thrilled my third and final show was Bennet Gartside and Marianela Nuñez, who were utterly absorbing and said so much just with their eyes.

I didn't get the impression that they don't actually get along but I could tell the huge difference between the two. Though Steven is the same age as Alexander, he's always felt somewhat older to me, more mature or something , like you get with Federico or Edward. I guess "seasoned" is another word?  (I'm saying that wrong). Alexander seems so much younger, like a college kid. This video really expressed the difference between them. Though one thing they do share is having such supportive family's..

• Like 2