Barbican MacMillan Steps Back in Time

Buried at the bottom of today's Times article about MacMillan is this listing:

● Viviana Durante Company
The former ballerina directs extracts from MacMillan’s House of Birds and Danses Concertantes with Laiderette staged in full. Dancers from the Royal and Ballet Black. Barbican, London EC2, April 18-21

I can't find any sign of it on the Barbican website or elsewhere on the internet. One to keep an eye out for!

• Like 9

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more information on this from the press release...

Viviana Durante Company – Kenneth MacMillan: Steps Back in Time

Wednesday 18–Saturday 21 April 2018, The Pit

Press night: Wednesday 18 April 2018, 7.45pm

In honour of Kenneth MacMillan, the hugely influential and ahead-of-his-time choreographer, the legendary ballerina Viviana Durante directs extracts from his enthralling earliest works.

Tearing up convention and turning staid ideas on their head, MacMillan began creating his own ballets in the 1950s. Believing that dance had the power to explore the human condition, he made potent stories with an emotional quality that invited audiences to become caught up in the fate of his characters.

As an artist whose association with MacMillan dates back to their time at The Royal Ballet, Durante has both danced and revived his creations. To celebrate his legacy and to mark 25 years since his death, she selects three short ballets: House of BirdsDanses Concertantes and Laiderette, the latter staged in full. Together, they highlight the boldness, insight, complexity, wit and relevance of MacMillan’s choreography. Performed by artists from Ballet Black and The Royal Ballet, including principals Lauren CuthbertsonLaura Morera and Edward Watson, each contains a passionate pas de deux, another famous MacMillan forte.  

Kenneth MacMillan: Steps Back in Time

Viviana Durante Company

UK

Performed by artists from Ballet Black and The Royal Ballet, including principals Lauren Cuthbertson, Laura Morera and Edward Watson

Wed 18–Sat 21 April 2018 (5 performances)

7.45pm; 2.30pm on Sat 21 Apr 2018

1 hour/no interval (includes post-show talk after each performance)

£18 plus booking fee

Age guidance: 10+

Presented by the Barbican

#MacmillanBarbican

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
"Performers
Ed Watson House of Birds and Laiderette
Lauren Cuthbertson House of Birds
Francesca Hayward Laiderette
Akane Takada (RB principal) and José Alves (Ballet Black)/Benjamin Ella (RB soloist) Danses Concertantes
Corps de ballet (12) from Ballet Black and Scottish Ballet"

Laura Morera's name was also mentioned.  I could certainly see her in Danses Concertantes.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Josephine said:

Laura Morera is mentioned in the Barbican's performance overview, but presumably will not dance at all performances as due to dance Manon at ROH on Thursday 19 April:

http://www.roh.org.uk/events/9vxlq

According to the Barbican website, there is no performance on Thursday, April 19.  There are only four performances listed:

April 18: 19:45

April 20: 19:45

April 21: 14:30 and 19:45

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

According to the Barbican website, there is no performance on Thursday, April 19.  There are only four performances listed:

April 18: 19:45

April 20: 19:45

April 21: 14:30 and 19:45

Thank you very much for this information. My apologies - I should have read the listing more carefully. A relief not to have to choose between conflicting shows!

Edited by Josephine

• alison changed the title to Viviana Durante / Kenneth MacMillan: Steps Back in Time
  • 3 months later...

Just had a phone message about the MacMillan programme at the Barbican in April - Thiago Soares is replacing Ed Watson.  

There are also some seating changes as well so as to accommodate a slightly bigger stage and I need to exchange my ticket beforehand at the box office.  I'm sure those affected will be contacted by the box office.

https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2018/event/kenneth-macmillan-steps-back-in-time

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JohnS said:

Just had a phone message about the MacMillan programme at the Barbican in April - Thiago Soares is replacing Ed Watson.  

There are also some seating changes as well so as to accommodate a slightly bigger stage and I need to exchange my ticket beforehand at the box office.  I'm sure those affected will be contacted by the box office.

https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2018/event/kenneth-macmillan-steps-back-in-time

Interesting....I haven't been contacted by them in any way, and I have row A tickets for April 21st.  I hope they will remain row A!!  :)

12 minutes ago, Sim said:

Interesting....I haven't been contacted by them in any way, and I have row A tickets for April 21st.  I hope they will remain row A!!  :)

You need to contact them.  A bench (row AA) has been placed in front of row A and there's no rake.  I believe they've moved some people from row A to row AA but the problem with that is that the AA bench is almost  backless.  I'm not sure what they mean by this but they did say that it wasn't possible to lean back into it.  Anyone who has tickets in row  A should definitely contact the Barbican Box Office.

Wonder if they're going through the purchasers either by number of performances purchased or date of purchase?  After all, if they are phoning each individual (and my interaction with them was quite long) it's going to take a while.

My move is from B19 to B17 on 18 April.  Must be a bit of a nightmare for the box office.  

I'm sure there's a 'Puzzle for Today' lurking somewhere - what's the minimum number of seats that have to be reallocated given a different layout for the auditorium?  Or perhaps the Barbican are looking for the maximum number of changes?