Winter Olympics 2018

Shade

Thanks Alison for the suggestion. That was a beautiful short skating program from Medvedeva - such artistry. She is as beautiful as a film star and as graceful as a ballerina. Just sitting down to watch the rest of the team event on catch up.

• Like 4

I love ice skating. It was the very first thing I wanted to be when I was about five or six. I used to watch World of Sport with my dad and some ice skating came on. I was transfixed. I loved the way the ladies glided along with one leg in the air. Didn't know the thing was called an Arabesque back then. I used to try and slide along the kitchen floor on the Lino with my other leg in the air behind me. Then a few years later I saw a bit of Ballet on TV, and I no longer wanted to become an ice skater but a ballet dancer. A few decades later, and my one and only time ever going on ice, while I was in Japan. What do I do? The moment I step on to the ice I try and do an Arabesque. I ended up on my backside, of course. 

• Like 5

I've been watching it too this evening- a gripping and lovely contest, Thank you BBC i player!

Interesting that the- really beautiful- German piece was choreographed by Christopher Dean. Shame there was no GB pair for him to assist!

By the way, has anyone found an actual, up-to-date television schedule somewhere on the BBC website?  With all the delays to the skiing, I wanted to set the recorder overnight, but can't because I don't know what channel I should be recording or when!

Nobody celebrating GB's first medal yet?  Congrats to Dom Parsons - although it was nailbiting for a few minutes, as he was in 4th place, 2/100ths of a second off the medals.

And boy, that is a spectactular medal presentation stage!

• Like 2

Enjoyed very much the men's short pieces...(though could do with a bit less focus on boring old quads) and the commentaries by Robin Cousins and Christopher Dean. What a wealth of experience they have. Not sure how much expertise they have in ballet but they are very good communicators and really understand performance...perhaps one of them should present the live screenings :-)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mary said:

Enjoyed very much the men's short pieces...(though could do with a bit less focus on boring old quads) and the commentaries by Robin Cousins and Christopher Dean. What a wealth of experience they have. Not sure how much expertise they have in ballet but they are very good communicators and really understand performance...perhaps one of them should present the live screenings :-)

Robin Cousins choreographed a piece for some of the graduate students at Elmhurst a few years ago. Unfortunately I didn't get to see it it as it was only performed at a gala for which the tickets were too expensive.

• Like 1

Huge congratulations to Lizzy Yarnold and Laura Deas for their successes in the skeleton - Yarnold defending her Olympic title.  I felt desperately sorry for the Austrian who ended up finishing 4th, though.

And heartbreaking to see Elise Christie crashing and being stretchered off in the short-track skating - but at least there are apparently no bones broken and she should be back for Tuesday's races.

• Like 7

Have you noticed how, when skaters perform to a vocal track, the artist and song title are named?  Yet if it's an opera, all we get is the composer and the opera title.  No title of the aria, no artist credited.  Seems a bit unfair to me.

• Like 2

Wow just seen the short programme of the Canadian ice dancers absolutely fab!!

The problem us there is now an Olympic thread so don't really know where to write this! If should be on other thread Mods can move if want!

• Like 1

Yes, the X-rays/scans were horrible! :(

Rant: I think there's something inherently wrong about having world records in figure skating, because all the programmes are so individual - different elements, different music, different combinations etc.  It's far worse than having a marathon world record (which I believe they now do, somehow).  I could understand it in, for instance, diving, where you might be doing a reasonably fixed set dive, but putting together a skating programme is such a personal thing.  And if it should turn into some competition just to see which man can do the most quads (and hence score the most points), that would become really boring.

• Like 3

Have to say it's only the figure skating that I find watchable in the WO. Curling, for goodness sake...  I'd prefer a version where they simply keep the main Olympic sports and the associated clothing but just do them on ice  - imagine weightlifting on ice, the 100m sprint, dressage (OK, use seals if necessary), icekwondo...  

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 4