The Royal Ballet: The Winter's Tale, London, Spring 2018

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Royal Ballet - Winter's Tale - Spring 2018
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be there! So excited.

I saw Christopher Wheeldon creating this ballet on a backstage tour of the ROH a good while back, so for me to be seeing Winter's Tale for the first time will be a proper treat.

Also, when I met Darcey Bussell at a book signing a few years ago, I mentioned that I'd come late to ballet and missed seeing her dance. When I asked who the 'next' Darcey Bussell I shouldn't miss was, she answered without hesitation 'Lauren Cuthbertson'. Lauren was out with injury at the time and various factors have transpired to prevent me seeing her since then, so this'll be my first time seeing her perform. So it's a double treat for me!

Finally, to triple up the treat, it's my girlfriend's first time to the ROH, so I'm really excited for her to see it too. :D

• Like 11

2 hours ago, BristolBillyBob said:

I will be there! So excited.

I saw Christopher Wheeldon creating this ballet on a backstage tour of the ROH a good while back, so for me to be seeing Winter's Tale for the first time will be a proper treat.

Also, when I met Darcey Bussell at a book signing a few years ago, I mentioned that I'd come late to ballet and missed seeing her dance. When I asked who the 'next' Darcey Bussell I shouldn't miss was, she answered without hesitation 'Lauren Cuthbertson'. Lauren was out with injury at the time and various factors have transpired to prevent me seeing her since then, so this'll be my first time seeing her perform. So it's a double treat for me!

Finally, to triple up the treat, it's my girlfriend's first time to the ROH, so I'm really excited for her to see it too. :D

You are in for a treat and, yes, Lauren Cuthbertson is wonderful - desperately moving - in this ballet.

• Like 4

Bottom of the escalator again, folks!  That is our regular place whilst all the works are going on.  

Lauren is one of the great dance actresses, IMHO.  BillyBob, you will love her.   Hope to see some of you later.  Black trousers, white jumper, that's me.

• Like 4

Marcelino very much in evidence tonight.  Riveting.

Well, the performance never really caught fire for me. Maybe I had a bad case of missing Ed,but it wasn’t the production I remember with such enthusiasm.  Ryochi does all the right things and looks splendid but I never felt anything other than he was a dancer playing a part.  For me, he didn’t live it but I know others felt differently.

Lauren as wonderful as always - this is so much her role, and Laura Morera a revelation to me in this role.  But I thought Matthew Ball was woefully miscast, not helped by wearing a costume both too long and too big.  It was hard to take him seriously dressed in what appears to be Bonelli’s handmedowns which swamped him.  

Act II was better.  Sarah lamb is wonderful: all youthful joy and cheeky exuberance. As for Muntagirov - well is there anything this guy can’t do?  He lacks Macrae’s swagger and sheer physicality,but...

So that’s it, really.  A pleasant evening.  See it, say it, sorted,as the announcer says every five  minutes on South Western trains.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

As for Muntagirov - well is there anything this guy can’t do?  He lacks Macrae’s swagger and sheer physicality,but...

I can't imagine that being a problem in this particular role?

Glad to hear Marcelino is back.

• Like 2

I wondered if the 'reconciliation' pas de deux in act 3 might have been expanded, but that's probably my poor memory! 

While I loved this wonderful action packed ballet as much as I always do, I felt that it seemed like some of the partnerings were still getting used to each other in these roles, as there were lots of substitutions for this cast.  

Some other scattered thoughts (one of the great things about this forum is not having to assemble these into prose!) 

- Isabella Gasparini really stood out the corps

- I felt like Hirano portrayed Leontes as being taken over by an external force, rather than the envy coming from within, which was interesting.  It was certainly a more gutteral, vengeful, desperate portrayal than others I have seen. 

- Loud (loudest?) cheers for Laura Morera's Paulina

- Sambe and Stix Brunell are an excellent pairing. They were radiant! 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, standingticket said:

I wondered if the 'reconciliation' pas de deux in act 3 might have been expanded, but that's probably my poor memory! 

While I loved this wonderful action packed ballet as much as I always do, I felt that it seemed like some of the partnerings were still getting used to each other in these roles, as there were lots of substitutions for this cast.  

Some other scattered thoughts (one of the great things about this forum is not having to assemble these into prose!) 

- Isabella Gasparini really stood out the corps

- I felt like Hirano portrayed Leontes as being taken over by an external force, rather than the envy coming from within, which was interesting.  It was certainly a more gutteral, vengeful, desperate portrayal than others I have seen. 

- Loud (loudest?) cheers for Laura Morera's Paulina

- Sambe and Stix Brunell are an excellent pairing. They were radiant! 

Interesting if so about the reconciliation scene, because that was one of the main criticisms I seem to recall- that this moment passed far too quickly.

• Like 1

The bear was clearer this time as well.  I could actually see it from the amphi, and he seemed to hang around for a longer time so that we could all recognise that this is what that sheet actually is!

For the rest, I really enjoyed it and agree that Beatriz And Marcellino were a very sunny couple....great to have him back.  Whenever I want to find Isabella amongst the corps I just look for the biggest smile on the stage, and it will invariably be attached to her.  

With all the excitement about the young talent in the company, it was wonderful to be reminded of the 'older' principals, and how darn good they are.  Lauren Cuthbertson, Sarah Lamb and Laura Morera were all superb.  Ryoichi Hirano is a relatively new principal and I thought did very well, and will get better as he develops into the role, but I did feel his pain.  I also liked Matthew Ball's Polixenes (I didn't notice about the clothes, and assume that as he has always been scheduled to go on that they were made just for him!);  imperious, arrogant and bad tempered, then all sweetness and light when he finds that the girl his son loves is a princess.  There is much in Shakespeare's work about hypocrisy, forgiveness, humble pie, pure love....hmmm, sounds like Giselle!  Muntagirov danced beautifully, and again the seeming effortlessness of everything he does is a joy to behold.  He was a delightful and secure partner for Lamb, who was also on great form.  Lauren Cuthbertson inhabits the role of the wronged Hermione like no-one else.  The purity of her dancing, the total credibility of her dramatic interpretation and her deep empathy with the character's pain is evident from start to finish.  Brava Lauren. 

I look forward to seeing the two more casts that I am going to see.  I think this was a good opener, especially with all the cast changes.  

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Sim said:

The bear was clearer this time as well.  I could actually see it from the amphi, and he seemed to hang around for a longer time so that we could all recognise that this is what that sheet actually is!

it always seems a bit of a struggle to 'see' it down in the SCS area, even when you know what you're looking at. Perhaps I should try and see it from upstairs at some point  :-)

2 hours ago, Mary said:

Were there any changes in the production this time round that anyone could see?

I wondered if the statue of Mamillius in Act III had been redesigned in an attempt to make it seem more life-like?? I'd be glad of any other views on this. My memory may be playing tricks!

12 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

.  But I thought Matthew Ball was woefully miscast, not helped by wearing a costume both too long and too big.  It was hard to take him seriously dressed in what appears to be Bonelli’s handmedowns which swamped him.  

Poor Matthew Ball. Now he is being criticised for his clothes. I do not think he was ''woefully miscast'. For goodness sake give a lad a chance. He needs to supported and encouraged. That is how dancers get stronger mentally and go on and give their best.He is a very bright prospect in the RB and I for one am glad to see him shining.

• Like 9

Ha ha I could never see it from SCS or the amphi;  I think they must have tweaked it because this is the first time it was even slightly obvious as to what it was.  But maybe, as you say , it's because I know it's there!!  :)

10 minutes ago, nevsky said:

Poor Matthew Ball. Now he is being criticised for his clothes. I do not think he was ''woefully miscast'. For goodness sake give a lad a chance. He needs to supported and encouraged. That is how dancers get stronger mentally and go on and give their best.He is a very bright prospect in the RB and I for one am glad to see him shining.

Agreed, and to dance two debuts in a matter of 72 hours is no mean feat for any Principal let alone for a dancer who is only months into being a First Soloist. 

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, nevsky said:

Oh dear, it really is getting so one can't say anything on this forum and it's such a pity. Shall I take one hundred lines and write out Matthew Ball is wonderful or just cut to the chase and say in my review ' Everything was fabulous?'

If you have read any of my previous posts, you will know that I am a huge, big-time fan of Matthew Ball.

I'm not going to defend what I said - I called it how I saw it - whilst making the point that others saw it differently.

I do not think he worked in the role.

They are not 'his' clothes, they are chosen by Wardrobe who I don't think had done a good job as they didn't appear to fit.  What looked dashing on Bonelli swamped Ball.  Incidentally, I thought the same about Laura Morera's dress which was much longer on her than it had been on Zenaida Yanowsky.

As for giving the lad a chance, well, words fail me.  I adore his dancing, love his characterisation and am inevitably moved by any part he plays.  However, I do not think this was his best role - perhaps it just needs work.

This forum is going to become a deadly dull place if all we do is say how much we enjoyed everything.  But maybe that is what's wanted?  Well, I'll give it a miss until we have the space to express views.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Laura Morera's dress which was much longer on her than it had been on Zenaida Yanowsky.

I don't think that's right - in both cases, the dresses (both black and blue) were an inch or two above their pointe shoes

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Oh dear, it really is getting so one can't say anything on this forum and it's such a pity. Shall I take one hundred lines and write out Matthew Ball is wonderful or just cut to the chase and say in my review ' Everything was fabulous?'

If you have read any of my previous posts, you will know that I am a huge, big-time fan of Matthew Ball.

I'm not going to defend what I said - I called it how I saw it - whilst making the point that others saw it differently.

I do not think he worked in the role.

They are not 'his' clothes, they are chosen by Wardrobe who I don't think had done a good job as they didn't appear to fit.  What looked dashing on Bonelli swamped Ball.  Incidentally, I thought the same about Laura Morera's dress which was much longer on her than it had been on Zenaida Yanowsky.

As for giving the lad a chance, well, words fail me.  I adore his dancing, love his characterisation and am inevitably moved by any part he plays.  However, I do not think this was his best role - perhaps it just needs work.

This forum is going to become a deadly dull place if all we do is say how much we enjoyed everything.  But maybe that is what's wanted?  Well, I'll give it a miss until we have the space to express views.

Of course it's not what's wanted - but if you express strong, forthright views, it's reasonable to expect others to strongly disagree with them at times.

• Like 8

I don't think 'give the lad a chance' is a view.  It is a 'request' to refrain from criticism.  As for strong and forthright, have you actually read my review which is about 80% admiring, whilst making some comments about areas that I found less than pleasing?

Anyway, defensive in a 'discussion' forum  is ridiculous.  I'll watch where this goes and then leave it alone.

13 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

I don't think 'give the lad a chance' is a view.  It is a 'request' to refrain from criticism.  As for strong and forthright, have you actually read my review which is about 80% admiring, whilst making some comments about areas that I found less than pleasing?

Anyway, defensive in a 'discussion' forum  is ridiculous.  I'll watch where this goes and then leave it alone.

I think it's quite strong and forthright to say that someone is 'woefully miscast' but you are perfectly entitled to say it and someone else is perfectly entitled to find it harsh. And yes, I read your review and 'liked' it, if you notice. (I have no view about the opinion itself, since I haven't seen Winter's Tale and am not sure if I'm going to. But I enjoyed your comments.)

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Rachelm said:

I think we should all be respectful of each other's opinions on this forum, and also be kind when talking about dancers- they are people with feelings.

Nobody could quarrel with that but it depends on your definition of kind.  I cannot see that remarking that the dancer is not at his best in a particular role or commenting on ill-fitting clothes is in any way unkind.  Unkind would be 'blogs didn't seem to be putting the effort in,' or 'smith really isn't up to standard.'  The more I've thought about it, the more I stand by my belief that Matthew was not at his best last night.  I was looking forward to seeing him, seeing it as in some way making up for the disappointment of not seeing Ed but, for me, it didn't work. 

One can make all sorts of qualifications from a position of knowlege - new cast/second new role in four days/preparing for debut in big new ballet - but these are not observations audience members who are not huge ballet fans would make.  I don't have the knowlege of so many on here whose archive is breathtaking, but I know what I see and try to review from that perspective.  There are so many who are able to point out the technical stuff, thought a viewpoint from a different perspective might be a useful contribution.  I come at things from a more visual/visual/emotional angle.  Which is probably why I adore Ed so much as he is, apparently, not a classical dancer.

Whatever.

• Like 3

Foteini Christofilopoulou was at the rehearsals of the Royal Ballet's 'The Winter's Tale', February 2018
Here are some sample photos...

40217932572_1489d34699_z.jpg

Artists of the company
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. 
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

40217931472_107813f4b5_z.jpg

Federico Bonelli, Fumi Kaneko

25391299517_d5f2374f4e_z.jpg

Beatriz Stix-Brunell

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: RB - The Winter's Tale (2018)

By kind permission of the Royal Opera House

• Like 9