TooTu

Good Luck/Audition results 2018

Hi Meadowblythe - she will be 16 in June but hasn’t done very much contemporary. I think would prefer ballet. I haven’t heard of Chantry. Will look into that thank you.

I haven’t Stressedbeyondbelief. I will suggest that to dd. Worried that to try again and get another ‘no’ would knock her confidence completely, but yet how will she know if she doesn’t try... 

To be blunt, if you can't cope with "no," then possibly any form of dance (or arts) related career is going to be difficult.    It really does go with the territory.   I also think, personally speaking, it's worse for the parents than the children.  I would do anything to take the hurt and pain away but all I can do is be there to offer hot chocolate and assure them that not getting xxxxx is not the end of the world.  This applies as much to my musician daughter as dancer son.

• Like 15

Fair point  meadowblythe I do know that the dance world is a very tough one and to be honest so does dd. I think as a parent you want to protect them from the disappointments of life, never mind the added stress/expense/juggling etc just to get to the audition!

• Like 1

How many ‘nos’ has she had, if you don’t mind me asking Ballet12345? Even the dancers who get yeses usually have their fair share of nos too! Most of dd’s friends are applying to at least 5 colleges and all of them would be very happy with just the 1 ‘yes' at the end of the day. Keep going - and good luck! 

• Like 3

Just one BlueLou, but she has only applied for one school. We don’t live in GB so any audition involves flights, hotels as well as the normal fees for auditions. The cost of these is dictating what she has applied for. Also getting time off work for mid week auditions is virtually impossible. It seems the odds are stacked against her 😢

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ballet12345 said:

Just one BlueLou, but she has only applied for one school. We don’t live in GB so any audition involves flights, hotels as well as the normal fees for auditions. The cost of these is dictating what she has applied for. Also getting time off work for mid week auditions is virtually impossible. It seems the odds are stacked against her 😢

Auditioning is not cheap, but then nor is full-time training.  Then if you manage to get through your training, auditioning for company contracts can be a horrendously expensive business, once you factor in flights and accommodation costs for what can sometimes be a 10 minute audition.   

I take it you don't have any full-time upper schools in your home country? Some schools hold auditions abroad; ENBS included. 

7 hours ago, amos73 said:

An email came yesterday - if you didn't receive one best to contact them! Good luck for finals 🍀

Thank you and good luck to you too .  I will drop them an email to check thanks . What year are you auditioning for ? We are year 8 x 

2 hours ago, Ballet12345 said:

Do bear in mind that some schools will accept videos at least as a preliminary "audition" from overseas applicants. I suspect you may have left it too late for most schools this year, but you've little to lose by ringing round and asking if it's a possibility.

As others have said, you need to cast your net as wide as possible. Whilst there are of course some students who gain fully funded places at their first choice schools on their first auditions, they are few and far between. Even those who have attended the most sought after lower schools tend to apply for multiple upper schools. The competition is intense and there are no guarantees for anyone, so it's best not to put all your eggs in one basket.

It's definitely worth trying elsewhere. A "no" from Central isn't necessarily a predictor of what will happen elsewhere. If you read the stories on here, both regarding upper and lower school auditions you will see just about every possible permutation of results, as all the schools have subtly different approaches and requirements. 

Talk to the schools you are interested in - video auditions maybe or an option or they may be prepared to be flexible and see her outside of a standard audition day. That way you may be able to keep your costs down by going to several places in one trip. If they say no, you're no worse off than now, and at least you will know you have tried all possible avenues.

I hope things work out for your DD in the end.

• Like 6

Thank you so much for the sound advice Pups_mum, and indeed everyone who has given me advice. I will look into the DVD options...hadn’t really anticipated just how much of a rollercoaster ride this is!

• Like 3

On 13/02/2018 at 15:22, Ballet12345 said:

Anyone had any results from the Leeds CSB audition? Dd got a ‘No’ and is gutted! Wondering where to go from here. No other auditions planned as funding for auditions/travel and the courses themselves (if she was accepted) is a big issue for us. Not sure that she would get a DADA as they seem to be only for exceptionally talented children. 

Im afraid that if you are not resident in the UK she wouldn’t be eligible for a DaDa so you need to look at schools that offer school scholarships.  

• Like 2

I don't think you have to be a UK resident. I thought it was an EU citizen living in an EU country for the past 3 years. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RosaMac said:

I don't think you have to be a UK resident. I thought it was an EU citizen living in an EU country for the past 3 years. 

Eligibility

To get help with fees you must:

• be an EU citizen and have been living in the EU for 3 continuous years immediately before the start of your course
  • have ‘settled status’
  • have ‘indefinite leave to remain’ in the UK

To get help with living costs you must be from England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

• Like 1

Is anyone doing the Hammond first round lower audition in March? I requested a later date due to my own health issues. I did want to change to an earlier date but my dd has been insistent I leave it as it'd be unlucky to change it. Last year we had finished all the first round auditions by Jan so it's feeling very strange leaving it so late. 

3 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

Sounds like your daughter had good news?

Yes she was accepted so looking did others that may have too x

7 hours ago, Shellz said:

Hi

Has anyone been accepted at bodyworks. Looking for people who will be going. Thank you 

My dd has a recall for there.x

Hope she is ok Auntie Nora is she at another vocational school or just a normal one at the moment! She must have been amazing to be at finals x

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Dancer123 said:

Hope she is ok Auntie Nora is she at another vocational school or just a normal one at the moment! She must have been amazing to be at finals x

Ditto, I was just thinking exactly the same

• Like 3

She’s at a normal school. She has done really well  for only starting a few years ago!

We did Tring today which she enjoyed would need funding if offered a place. With 2 WL finals under her belt you never know maybe 3rd time lucky, have another go next year!

• Like 8