Good Luck/Audition results 2018

TooTu

23 hours ago, Anna C said:

Some posts on this thread have been hidden while under review for being thought to contravene the Acceptable Use Policy and/or forum moderation policy, or because they respond to/quote a hidden post.

Balletcoforum Moderators

Alison, I was referring to this post by Anna about posts being hidden.

i totally appreciate the time the moderators put in voluntarily in order for this forum to exist.

Edited by atacrossroads
Added content
  • Like 1

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiding them while they're discussed is not the same as removing them. Thanks to Anna for tidying things up!  

Good luck to everyone waiting for results of auditions and those nervously awaiting auditions yet to come. My son's now nearly 25 and I find myself still missing all this, even with all the stress that came with it! It's a cliché but all you can do is your best.

• Like 10

Just to move the thread on, my DS has a no for Y7 at Hammond. He’s beside himself, but has vowed to keep fighting. I’m going to call for feedback next week. Any specifics I should ask?? DS said the only negative things he heard came from the physio assessment around lack of strength?

Feeling sad for him today...😟 xx

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that @MrsMoo2. My dd had similar feedback last year. She has spent the last year working hard to improve her muscle tone and strength. I can really see a difference in her now. I hope he keeps perusing his dream. Is there a CAT scheme local to you? They've been such a brilliant help to my dd since she started and booked her in with physio as soon as she started with them.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Sarah2203 said:

Sorry to hear that @MrsMoo2. My dd had similar feedback last year. She has spent the last year working hard to improve her muscle tone and strength. I can really see a difference in her now. I hope he keeps perusing his dream. Is there a CAT scheme local to you? They've been such a brilliant help to my dd since she started and booked her in with physio as soon as she started with them.

Thanks Sarah, I think our nearest CAT scheme is Manchester, about 90 minutes away. I’ll look into it. He has come on so much in the last 18 months I know he will get where he wants to be one day. At 10, he still has time on his side, just!

He’s playing in the snow now with the dog, I just can’t look when he throws his sledge down big hills, as all I see are broken legs! 🙈🙈🙈

• Like 4

Honestly looking back at the standard my daughter was at last year, she just wasn't ready. She wanted it but she wasn't too upset when it didn't happen. This year however she has got a real fire in her belly and she's determined to succeed. She has spent so much time practising and taking every class she can.

I'm so very grateful we have very little snow otherwise I know she would be out sledging x

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sarah2203 said:

Such good advice.  All growing students progress and develop at vastly different rates.  CAT schemes and good Associate schemes can be invaluable for so many reasons.  Even if a child isn't ready for full-time training at 11, doesn't mean they will never be.  Time and good quality training with different teachers can be all that's needed. 

• Like 4

Am I right in thinking this was your son's first audition?  He'll have learnt a lot and boys in particular have time on their side.    Look at some of the stories from this site, some of those with the most spectacular stories hadn't even started dancing at his age.

• Like 4

@MrsMoo2 picking up on a point that I have just made on a different thread, there are definite advantages to going to vocational school a little later.  My musical DD went in year 10 (went to equivalent of CAT before that) and it meant she went at a point when they could walk into town, went into the big musical ensembles ..  she had a first class academic education under her belt from 3 years at the local grammar which meant she could manage the GCSEs without too much struggle which gave her time to adjust musically.  She also knew how the school worked before starting A levels (original plan had been just to go for sixth form).  

She was always a little behind some of the contemporaries musically, but had the maturity to cope and has had exceptional offers for Conservatoire.  

• Like 8

DD has been offered a place at Hammond for year 7 but I'm not expecting her to get a MDS award tbh. She is a lovely dancer and has no issues getting into things like LCB and EYB, but I've been given feedback that her size and strength is lacking compared to others, so am pinning our hopes on a bursary and have been saving like mad since before Christmas! 

Good luck to everyone waiting for Elmhurst results and all dc attending the funding audition at Hammond this week. May the funding fairies be kind to all xx

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Hardworkingballetdad said:

Anyone know when Elmhurst results are out? 

I asked this question when DD was at finals last Thursday, we were told the end of next week-so should be by the end of this week!! 

Good luck 🍀

• Like 4

On 18/03/2018 at 11:05, MrsMoo2 said:

Just to move the thread on, my DS has a no for Y7 at Hammond. He’s beside himself, but has vowed to keep fighting. I’m going to call for feedback next week. Any specifics I should ask?? DS said the only negative things he heard came from the physio assessment around lack of strength?

Feeling sad for him today...😟 xx

it must be so hard to see your son despondent, but at least he has the determination to keep going. You could perhaps comfort him with my son's training history - he didn't start vocational school until he was 14 and made it all the way through to professional contract. There's plenty of time for your son to develop and I do sometimes think my son gained a lot from having a completely normal life up until 14....... 

• Like 11

Facebook reminded that 9 years ago today my son auditioned for ENBS and we got home to an offer email and a phone call. To say I was excited is an understatement (it was the first upper school audition result we got so were feeling a bit on edge!). 

Good luck everyone

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Twoballerinas0004 said:

Just wondering if anyone has had their results of Tring upper school dance funding finals. My daughter was given a physio appointment along with her friend who has already received her results. We are still waiting. 

I know someone that has been offered part funding for the US at Tring on the 12th March, I think the funding audition was on the 9th. Not sure how long you have been waiting. ;) Fingers crossed for you

PS  Just remembered that this was for MT course (incl A Levels) and not Ballet. So not sure if this is of any help.    

Edited by balletbean
Added PS.

On 16/03/2018 at 09:36, Anna C said:

This is not a new phenomenon; Luke Jennings wrote an article in 2012 about the tiny chance of progressing through White Lodge from year 7 and into RBS Upper School.   What we do need to take into account are those children whose paths changed from classical ballet; either due to injury or stopping dancing. 

I would just like to add that besides the obvious injury and the general decision to stop dancing, Mother Nature also has a hand in whether a pupil from LS doesn't make it to US. Absolutley no reflection on their talents or the training received. 

I'm not always sure that this is factored in when the discussion of how many pupils from LS are offered a place at the US is held. There was a BBC Wales programme (a few years ago now) that covered this same subject. Can be heartbreaking for those concerned but a reality of (ballet) life, however, those concerned have often diversified and attended an MT/Contempoary dance school/college instead.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Twoballerinas0004 said:

Just wondering if anyone has had their results of Tring upper school dance funding finals. My daughter was given a physio appointment along with her friend who has already received her results. We are still waiting. 

No news is good news, waiting list for us.