Good Luck/Audition results 2018

TooTu

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone had any results from the Leeds CSB audition? Dd got a ‘No’ and is gutted! Wondering where to go from here. No other auditions planned as funding for auditions/travel and the courses themselves (if she was accepted) is a big issue for us. Not sure that she would get a DADA as they seem to be only for exceptionally talented children. 

15 hours ago, Twoballerinas0004 said:

Bluelou we received my daughters email before lunch. I would call them tomorrow morning. They may have just made an error and overlooked your daughters email.

Emailed Central - got a very quick response - she’s through to finals :D

• Like 19

On 12/02/2018 at 14:43, Skintdancemum said:

Out of curiosity , Has Anyone had the email from elmhurst with final timings on it yet ? My emails from them seem to go missing , received last years final details the day before ! 😱

An email came yesterday - if you didn't receive one best to contact them! Good luck for finals 🍀

• Like 1

On 13/02/2018 at 15:22, Ballet12345 said:

Anyone had any results from the Leeds CSB audition? Dd got a ‘No’ and is gutted! Wondering where to go from here. No other auditions planned as funding for auditions/travel and the courses themselves (if she was accepted) is a big issue for us. Not sure that she would get a DADA as they seem to be only for exceptionally talented children. 

How old is your daughter?  If she is 16, and contemporary is your chosen style, she has time on her side.  Have you looked at Chantry's post 16 programme?  

• Like 2

To be blunt, if you can't cope with "no," then possibly any form of dance (or arts) related career is going to be difficult.    It really does go with the territory.   I also think, personally speaking, it's worse for the parents than the children.  I would do anything to take the hurt and pain away but all I can do is be there to offer hot chocolate and assure them that not getting xxxxx is not the end of the world.  This applies as much to my musician daughter as dancer son.

• Like 15

How many ‘nos’ has she had, if you don’t mind me asking Ballet12345? Even the dancers who get yeses usually have their fair share of nos too! Most of dd’s friends are applying to at least 5 colleges and all of them would be very happy with just the 1 ‘yes' at the end of the day. Keep going - and good luck! 

• Like 3

Just one BlueLou, but she has only applied for one school. We don’t live in GB so any audition involves flights, hotels as well as the normal fees for auditions. The cost of these is dictating what she has applied for. Also getting time off work for mid week auditions is virtually impossible. It seems the odds are stacked against her 😢

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ballet12345 said:

Just one BlueLou, but she has only applied for one school. We don’t live in GB so any audition involves flights, hotels as well as the normal fees for auditions. The cost of these is dictating what she has applied for. Also getting time off work for mid week auditions is virtually impossible. It seems the odds are stacked against her 😢

Auditioning is not cheap, but then nor is full-time training.  Then if you manage to get through your training, auditioning for company contracts can be a horrendously expensive business, once you factor in flights and accommodation costs for what can sometimes be a 10 minute audition.   

I take it you don't have any full-time upper schools in your home country? Some schools hold auditions abroad; ENBS included. 

2 hours ago, Ballet12345 said:

Do bear in mind that some schools will accept videos at least as a preliminary "audition" from overseas applicants. I suspect you may have left it too late for most schools this year, but you've little to lose by ringing round and asking if it's a possibility.

As others have said, you need to cast your net as wide as possible. Whilst there are of course some students who gain fully funded places at their first choice schools on their first auditions, they are few and far between. Even those who have attended the most sought after lower schools tend to apply for multiple upper schools. The competition is intense and there are no guarantees for anyone, so it's best not to put all your eggs in one basket.

It's definitely worth trying elsewhere. A "no" from Central isn't necessarily a predictor of what will happen elsewhere. If you read the stories on here, both regarding upper and lower school auditions you will see just about every possible permutation of results, as all the schools have subtly different approaches and requirements. 

Talk to the schools you are interested in - video auditions maybe or an option or they may be prepared to be flexible and see her outside of a standard audition day. That way you may be able to keep your costs down by going to several places in one trip. If they say no, you're no worse off than now, and at least you will know you have tried all possible avenues.

I hope things work out for your DD in the end.

• Like 6