EYB Coppélia Rickmansworth

dancemum09

Hi

my DD is doing Coppélia with EYB at Rickmansworth and the casting audition is on Tuesday. Does anyone know what to expect as she’s quite nervous. 

Also do any of you know what parts she may get? She just turned 15, is on pointe and she’s 5’3/5’4. Thanks! Xx

Hi, I can't really remember what happens but I wouldn't worry,  she's done the hardest part in getting through the audition.  In all honesty they know who they're looking for and which parts at the audition stage.  Can't help as I'm not familiar with this ballet. I think they'll want to see her en pointe and I do remember Miss Lewis only giving them a pointe position if they could handle it.  Hope she has fun.

• Like 1

The casting is quite fun, everyone seems to enjoy it.   Dancers grouped by ability / Pointe / non Pointe / height then given some steps in groups.   There is a bit of shuffling while they get the groups right.

After that they go for press shots.

• Like 2

Hi we will be there. When you arrive you will be given a number, this is only for casting. She will do a class and then they have a break. After that casting starts. Those en Pointe will do some exercises and then Miss Lewis and Julie-Anne will start to group the girls and cast them. It’s actually very relaxed and enjoyable. Once everyone has been cast they will take a whole cast photo and then the press photos for local papers. The further away you live the earlier you will finish. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 2

To answer the other part of your question, if I recall rightly the parts for girls en pointe are:

The Coppelia Doll - just one obviously!

Swanhilda's "big" friends - about 6.

Morning Stars - a big group of maybe 20/30 (and very pretty costumes).

Little Friends/Prayers are sometimes also en pointe but these tend to be younger/smaller girls.

But EYB are very good at adapting parts and choreography to each particular cast so every production is subtly different.

There are no "bad" parts and everyone gets plenty of time on stage. Your DD will probably have a great time, whatever part she gets. Enjoy!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Danceroo said:

Congrats everyone. My DD was cast as one of Swanildas friends last night. She really enjoyed the experience and meeting some new people.  I have never seen Coppelia before, will she be a friend for both acts? 

If she's a "big" friend then yes, she's the same part throughout. Little friends are friends in act 1 and prayers in act 3.

1 hour ago, Danceroo said:

Congrats everyone. My DD was cast as one of Swanildas friends last night. She really enjoyed the experience and meeting some new people.  I have never seen Coppelia before, will she be a friend for both acts? 

As already said if she is one of the 6 big friends then she is on in all 3 acts. 

Coppélia is one of my favourite. 

Well done to everyone,  your dds will have a great time!

My dd has done EYB quite a few times before and loved each one.  She hasn't done Coppelia though and this venue is actually closest to where we live.  But she is away at school now so can't attend the rehearsals sadly :(

We might come and watch it though.

A post on this thread is hidden as it contravenes the Acceptable Use Policy and/or forum moderation policy, which can be found here:  http://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/417-the-balletcoforum-acceptable-use-policy/

Some posts which responded to the hidden post have also been hidden, to retain the flow of the thread.

Many thanks.

Anna C

on behalf of Balletcoforum Moderators

• Like 1

Sounds OK so far. For my part, I've been conducting painstaking research concerning the local eateries and hostelries in the area. So far Coach and Horses has come up trumps. A remarkably good (though small) fine wine list at very reasonable prices, and the food's good too. Maurizio's up next - for an eat-in-the-car-while-driving-home pizza!

PT - sounds like your DD's solo is quite something - can't wait to see the run-through....

Edited by thewinelake
spelling correction
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thewinelake said:

Sounds OK so far. For my part, I've been conducting painstaking research concerning the local eateries and hostelries in the area. So far Coach and Horses has come up trumps. A remarkably good (though small) fine wine list at very reasonable prices, and the food's good too. Maurizio's up next - for an eat-in-the-car-while-driving-home pizza!

PT - sounds like your DD's solo is quite something - can't wait to see the run-through....

Winelake, loving your research :-)

10 hours ago, Pointetoes said:

DD says Pizzicato from Sylvia 

and she should know 

it it reminds me of the old Cadbury Fruit & Nut advert. 

The Fruit and Nut song is from the Nutcracker I think ..... ?

Used to love those adverts .....

• Like 1

There is simply something about this piece of music that reminds me about it, it did the same when DD played it in her string quartet. 

They were great adverts. 

Anyway the answer to the to the question is Pizzicato by Sylvia 

Edited by Pointetoes
  • Like 1

On 17/02/2018 at 11:15, thewinelake said:

Sylvia who?  ;-)

I'm sure it does appear in adverts from time to time...

So are we all in the press this week? Ben does a very good job with those photos.

Sorry thought I had replied that this - google Pizzicato from Syliva and you get the music. 

We we were finally in the paper this week. They contact me for more info and asked for a different photo. 

This EYB seems to be flying by, incredible to think this time next week they will be in theatre. 

Had a tip off that The Gate in Chorley Wood is supposed to be good, so the boss and I will be lunching there before today’s preview performance.

DW also a little concerned that DD, who’s understudying Friends, might be thrown in to performing something she’s not so well versed in. Poor old No. 11 (the winner of the scholarship) seems to have hurt her ankle quite badly - and has an exam tomorrow before the live shows & all.

Looking forward to trying to guess who some of you are later on... I’ll be the one smelling of roast beef!

• Like 1