Birmingham Royal Ballet: The Sleeping Beauty (Wright), Spring Tour 2018

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Birmingham Royal Ballet 'The Sleeping Beauty' - Spring Tour 2018
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the rehearsal in Southampton's Mayflower Theatre earlier this week. Only now having the chance to post some photos - so here they are:

40027712482_4ef4d053f0_z.jpg
Momoko Hirata
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

39161825645_ca349abb75_z.jpg
Jenna Roberts, Nao Sakuma
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

25188129147_573fd82ee3_z.jpg
Mathias Dingman, Momoko Hirata
©  Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more... 

Set from DanceTabs: BRB - Sleeping Beauty
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Great photos Dave. Have just seen Delia Mathews and Brandon Lawrence this afternoon. They were quite superb. They are so perfectly matched. With Will Bracewell having left BRB, I do hope that they will be together in R&J in a few months time

if it wasn't 6Nations aftenoon, I might have joined you in Southampton for that

• Like 3

Brandon and Delia were sublime this afternoon. What a special, tender and mutually empathetic partnership they have. You would never have known that this was only their second performance of Beauty.  They will be performing it in Birmingham and Salford next.  It's worth travelling from anywhere to see them.  On a train now so more later.  

• Like 4

• John Mallinson changed the title to Birmingham Royal Ballet: The Sleeping Beauty, Spring Tour 2018

I have just re-read TTP's lovely interview with Delia Mathews, posted at the beginning of this thread.  Now that I have seen her dance Aurora, I wanted to read again what she said about how she was going to approach the role, and was just as concerned (if not more so) with getting the characterisation right as with learning the steps and executing them effectively.  

Well, whatever exploration she undertook into the character worked very convincingly.  Delia's interpretation of Aurora was spot on.  In the first act, she was joyous, and flirted sweetly with the four princes (although we already knew she wasn't serious about any of them!).  Her Rose Adagio was technically very assured;  no wobbles at all, and with lovely positioning all the way through.  She was really well supported by her four princes, especially Tyrone Singleton.   In the second act, she was a lovely and enticing vision (what man wouldn't want to find her and wake her up), and during the awakening pas de deux couldn't believe that after waiting 100 years she lucked out by being woken up by such a noble prince as Brandon Lawrence.  By the third act, she had transitioned from the almost giggly teenager at the beginning to a regal bride;  brimming with love and confidence.  The final act pdd was beautiful.  Delia takes everything slowly so that we can see and appreciate everything she is doing;  it is also narratively very believable that she would take her time over things:  in Act One so that the four princes can all get a good look at her as she is supposed to marry one of them;  in Act Two so that Florimund can get a good look at this vision and decide whether he wants to take things forward;  and in Act Three so that everyone can admire the woman she has become;  graceful and noble.  Such an assured performance for just the second outing.  Delia can and will be one of the best Auroras around.

Her regular dancing partner, Brandon Lawrence,  also only on his second performance of Florimund, was a gorgeous prince to Delia's princess.  As I said in my previous post, these two have such chemistry, and such a deep understanding of each other, that every time they are together on stage it feels totally natural and it never occurs to me that it is anything other than reality.   I remember reading in an interview that TTP did with Brandon a couple of years ago that when one of them runs off the stage, even for just a couple of minutes, they really miss each other!  I loved the way Brandon looked at Delia from the moment he first set eyes on the sleeping vision of Aurora, all the way to the final few moments of the ballet, when he was so thrilled that the real Aurora had lived up to the vision's promise.  This was a gentle prince, with deep feelings and oh so noble.  He too can't believe his good fortune and looks so very proud of the girl he is in love with, and how lucky he feels that she loves him back.  Technically he was on fine fettle, with beautifully placed landings, very well-controlled turns and his usual lovely lines.  I think that the Mayflower stage is just a bit small for him;  I could see that he had to hold back on things with those long legs of his, especially during the maneges around the stage in his Act Three variation.  I would love to see him do this on a big stage where he can really let rip.  

Nice performances from the rest of the cast too....I really enjoyed Nao Sakuma's Carabosse;  the perfect evil foil for Yvette Knight's Lilac Fairy, a benevolent presence throughout.  I loved the foppy princes in Act One, all vying for Aurora's attention, and making me think how relieved she must have been to have been put to sleep for a hundred years just to avoid having to marry one of them!!  I found the vignettes in Act Three somewhat understated for some reason, although the pas de quatre was very nicely done by Karla Doorbar, Reina Fuchigami, Aitor Galende and Gus Payne.  I wonder why in this production Little Red Riding Hood is actually Little Orange Riding Hood?!

The Royal Ballet Sinfonia sounded lush and wonderful under the baton of Koen Kessels (as any orchestra he seems to conduct does).   A couple of thoughts about the production:  I really like the way the awakening pas de deux is in this version.  It makes total sense that they should be left alone to get to know each other a bit before their marriage is announced.  I would like to see the solo for Florimund put into this production.  He seems to be perfectly ok with the countess;  he sends the hunting party off so he can be alone, but Lilac Fairy appears immediately so there is no time for us to be told that he is actually very unhappy.  A couple of quick glimpses during the blindfold play, but I think that solo really clarifies things, and explains why the prince is so willing to rush off to find Aurora.  And it also gives the male dancer a bit more to do!

But these are just a couple of niggles;  I very much enjoyed the performance, and I would say that the Mathews/Lawrence partnership is a very special one that I hope will continue to be nurtured by BRB so......please can we have them as Romeo and Juliet in a few months' time?   I can already see in my mind's eye how lovely they would be  in it.

In a few months' time, I hope there will also be a promotion for Brandon Lawrence.  IMHO he deserved one at the end of last season, but he has now proved beyond any doubt that he deserves one at the end of THIS season.  

• Like 10

Sim - the awakening pdd was added a few years ago; originally act 2 ended with the kiss and her waking up.  The hunting scene was cut down - I vaguely recall (but Two Pigeons will have a better recollection than me) that the Prince did have a solo.  Also there was some hilarious action with Gallison that has now been taken out (I well remember Michael O'Hare getting drunker and drunker at the side of the stage during the hunting scene).

I assume the hunting scene was cut down to keep the production within a 3-hour running time.

I'm looking forward to my 2 performances in Birmingham next week but I think it will be a bit bittersweet without Steven Monteith as the first Prince in the Rose Adagio.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cavycapers said:

Looking at the pictures confirms what I have thought for a long time, that the BRB have the loveliest costumes of all the UK companies.

I do so agree.  This production was premiered in 1984.  How many different productions have the other major companies had over the last 34 years?

On 03/02/2018 at 19:13, Sim said:

Brandon and Delia were sublime this afternoon. What a special, tender and mutually empathetic partnership they have. You would never have known that this was only their second performance of Beauty.  They will be performing it in Birmingham and Salford next.  It's worth travelling from anywhere to see them.  On a train now so more later.  

The casting for Birmingham is now up - very pleased to have been allocated this pairing, with the lovely Jenna Roberts as the Lilac Fairy :)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sim said:

I have just re-read TTP's lovely interview with Delia Mathews, posted at the beginning of this thread.  Now that I have seen her dance Aurora, I wanted to read again what she said about how she was going to approach the role, and was just as concerned (if not more so) with getting the characterisation right as with learning the steps and executing them effectively.  

Well, whatever exploration she undertook into the character worked very convincingly.  Delia's interpretation of Aurora was spot on.  In the first act, she was joyous, and flirted sweetly with the four princes (although we already knew she wasn't serious about any of them!).  Her Rose Adagio was technically very assured;  no wobbles at all, and with lovely positioning all the way through.  She was really well supported by her four princes, especially Tyrone Singleton.   In the second act, she was a lovely and enticing vision (what man wouldn't want to find her and wake her up), and during the awakening pas de deux couldn't believe that after waiting 100 years she lucked out by being woken up by such a noble prince as Brandon Lawrence.  By the third act, she had transitioned from the almost giggly teenager at the beginning to a regal bride;  brimming with love and confidence.  The final act pdd was beautiful.  Delia takes everything slowly so that we can see and appreciate everything she is doing;  it is also narratively very believable that she would take her time over things:  in Act One so that the four princes can all get a good look at her as she is supposed to marry one of them;  in Act Two so that Florimund can get a good look at this vision and decide whether he wants to take things forward;  and in Act Three so that everyone can admire the woman she has become;  graceful and noble.  Such an assured performance for just the second outing.  Delia can and will be one of the best Auroras around.

Her regular dancing partner, Brandon Lawrence,  also only on his second performance of Florimund, was a gorgeous prince to Delia's princess.  As I said in my previous post, these two have such chemistry, and such a deep understanding of each other, that every time they are together on stage it feels totally natural and it never occurs to me that it is anything other than reality.   I remember reading in an interview that TTP did with Brandon a couple of years ago that when one of them runs off the stage, even for just a couple of minutes, they really miss each other!  I loved the way Brandon looked at Delia from the moment he first set eyes on the sleeping vision of Aurora, all the way to the final few moments of the ballet, when he was so thrilled that the real Aurora had lived up to the vision's promise.  This was a gentle prince, with deep feelings and oh so noble.  He too can't believe his good fortune and looks so very proud of the girl he is in love with, and how lucky he feels that she loves him back.  Technically he was on fine fettle, with beautifully placed landings, very well-controlled turns and his usual lovely lines.  I think that the Mayflower stage is just a bit small for him;  I could see that he had to hold back on things with those long legs of his, especially during the maneges around the stage in his Act Three variation.  I would love to see him do this on a big stage where he can really let rip.  

Nice performances from the rest of the cast too....I really enjoyed Nao Sakuma's Carabosse;  the perfect evil foil for Yvette Knight's Lilac Fairy, a benevolent presence throughout.  I loved the foppy princes in Act One, all vying for Aurora's attention, and making me think how relieved she must have been to have been put to sleep for a hundred years just to avoid having to marry one of them!!  I found the vignettes in Act Three somewhat understated for some reason, although the pas de quatre was very nicely done by Karla Doorbar, Reina Fuchigami, Aitor Galende and Gus Payne.  I wonder why in this production Little Red Riding Hood is actually Little Orange Riding Hood?!

The Royal Ballet Sinfonia sounded lush and wonderful under the baton of Koen Kessels (as any orchestra he seems to conduct does).   A couple of thoughts about the production:  I really like the way the awakening pas de deux is in this version.  It makes total sense that they should be left alone to get to know each other a bit before their marriage is announced.  I would like to see the solo for Florimund put into this production.  He seems to be perfectly ok with the countess;  he sends the hunting party off so he can be alone, but Lilac Fairy appears immediately so there is no time for us to be told that he is actually very unhappy.  A couple of quick glimpses during the blindfold play, but I think that solo really clarifies things, and explains why the prince is so willing to rush off to find Aurora.  And it also gives the male dancer a bit more to do!

But these are just a couple of niggles;  I very much enjoyed the performance, and I would say that the Mathews/Lawrence partnership is a very special one that I hope will continue to be nurtured by BRB so......please can we have them as Romeo and Juliet in a few months' time?   I can already see in my mind's eye how lovely they would be  in it.

In a few months' time, I hope there will also be a promotion for Brandon Lawrence.  IMHO he deserved one at the end of last season, but he has now proved beyond any doubt that he deserves one at the end of THIS season.  

Fine review, Sim.  I too enjoyed this performance (after a hellish train journey to Southampton from Waterloo which only went from bad to worse).  The defining highlight for me was Lawrence's first solo - seen here in the hunting sequence.  His placement was entirely world class ... and he has that stunning port de bras to match (currently) Germain Louvet (which is going some).  Appreciated Mathews' maturity of grace in the rendering of her Rose Adagio.  Given that it was only their second performance it gives a lot of scope for future joy.  Agree too that the orchestra honoured the score with adroit finesse.  Bless Mr. Kessels.  I nestled his sound scape in my ear throughout my journey home.  (I gave up on the train and took the coach.  Much more enjoyable - and 20 minutes quicker than the morning's ultimate misadventure.)  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the 2 performances yesterday.

In the afternoon we saw Miki Mizutani and Cesar Morales with Nao Sakuma as Carabosse and Arancha Baselga as LilacFairy.

In the evening we saw Delia Matthews and Brandon Lawrence with Jade Heuson as Carabosse and Yvette Knight as Lilac Fairy.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

In the evening we saw Delia Matthews and Brandon Lawrence ...

Lovely! I imagine they were very special together. Tonight I am seeing Momoko Hirata and Mathias Dingman with Yvette Knight (Lilac Fairy) and Nao Sakuma (Carabosse).

• Like 2