ENB - article in The Times

4 minutes ago, Mary said:

They are now very widely used in any settlement involving someone leaving a job- a quick fix legal agreement yes, but  often without any actual legal action taking place. So someone who wanted to go before a contract expired, for example or without working notice: and they do prevent one then following up in any way, or even telling anyone about, the problem that made one want to leave....

Perhaps people are asked to sign a confidentiality agreement at the start of their employment too.

• Like 1

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, David said:

Yes but I try hard to stick to known facts avoid negative comment about individuals.

I do understand the difficulties but one can't have it both ways.    

8 minutes ago, David said:

What I am saying is that contributors on this forum are making or implying all sorts of very serious and damaging allegations. I don't know who they are but they are doing so anonymously and based on unattributed comment.

I'm sorry but I don't think that quoting something seen in a populist documentary constitutes a known fact about the person you named.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I'm sorry but I don't think that quoting something seen in a populist documentary constitutes a known fact about the person you named.

15 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

49 minutes ago, David said:

What I am saying is that contributors on this forum are making or implying all sorts of very serious and damaging allegations. I don't know who they are but they are doing so anonymously and based on unattributed comment.

I disagree. In the main they are discussing a newspaper article and then a post by a Dance Critic.  By implying that abuse took place under Wayne Eagling's tenure, surely you are actually "making or implying" similarly serious allegations? 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, David said:

Yes - it happened under Wayne Eagling's watch and he was clearly aware of it.

In 2012, during the furore surrounding Wayne Eagling's departure, I posted on here about my personal (very positive) experiences of working with Eagling and ENB.  I was taken to task by one of the Moderators for not signing my full name to the piece, as I had made a few criticisms of the Board, which I was very happy to rectify.  If you are saying that you have first-hand knowledge of abuse under Eagling's directorship, perhaps you would be kind enough to put your full name to your post (which I believe is one of the rules of using this Forum for posts which might be considered inflammatory).  However, if you are only surmising abuse from the TV documentary (which, as I pointed out at the time and Jan McNulty has mentioned here, was filmed over a long period of time and heavily edited - again I have some personal experience as I was around when filming started) then perhaps you should clarify this.

Irmgard Berry

Adviser to the Mary Skeaping Estate

• Like 13

2 hours ago, David said:

So far all we have is a form of character assassination by anonymous, unattributed comments. It’s not good enough and if people are not prepared to put up, they should shut up!    

It really saddens me to read that dancers, who are after all in the weakest position, should "shut up" (because they have spoken out anonymously). They'd risk their career and livelihood if they revealed their identity!!!!  Why are the weakest individuals in this whole story "vilified" for not revealing their identity? Who would do so in their right mind if they'd risk not getting roles any longer and being sidelined?

No one for a moment has criticised what Tamara Rojo has brought in terms of repertoire and financing to the ENB. What The Times article highlights above all is seemingly "mismanagement" of the dancers. Management may think they are doing the right thing but apparently they are not (or not doing enough??); as it has been pointed out before, so many dancers left last season and it is obvious that there are dancers whose problems and deep concerns have not been seriously addressed (or not sufficiently).

The issues the ENB dancers seem to have may be at risk of being "brushed under the carpet"  because  "...Tamara Rojo has done sooooo much for the ENB.....". Great! Fabulous! I admire her for that but let's not forget the dancers in the first instance who are asking to be listened to, their concerns acted upon and their problems dealt with - whatever they may be. 

Edited by Nina G.
  • Like 17

43 minutes ago, Nina G. said:

It really saddens me to read that dancers, who are after all in the weakest position, should "shut up" (because they have spoken out anonymously). They'd risk their career and livelihood if they revealed their identity!!!!  Why are the weakest individuals in this whole story "vilified" for not revealing their identity? Who would do so in their right mind if they'd risk not getting roles any longer and being sidelined?

No one for a moment has criticised what Tamara Rojo has brought in terms of repertoire and financing to the ENB. What The Times article highlights above all is seemingly "mismanagement" of the dancers. Management may think they are doing the right thing but apparently they are not (or not doing enough??); as it has been pointed out before, so many dancers left last season and it is obvious that there are dancers whose problems and deep concerns have not been seriously addressed (or not sufficiently).

The issues the ENB dancers seem to have may be at risk of being "brushed under the carpet"  because  "...Tamara Rojo has done sooooo much for the ENB.....". Great! Fabulous! I admire her for that but let's not forget the dancers in the first instance who are asking to be listened to, their concerns acted upon and their problems dealt with - whatever they may be. 

I completely agree with this post. I had intended responding to the earlier post that dancers 'should put up or shut up' but Nina G expresses my view far more eloquently.

I had difficulty accepting that in this day and age, when the press regularly reports public interest concerns about abuses of power, whether real or imagined, that possible victims should be criticised for failing to disclose their names.

Edited by RobR
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

This is a very strong statement, David.  Given that abuse of any sort can only thrive through fear, secrecy and silence, is it any wonder that employees or students find it difficult or impossible to speak out, even anonymously? Implying that people should "shut up" or go public and risk losing everything is dangerous.  

I accept your point completely which makes it all the more important that others should speak up for them. But not through anonymous, unattributed and unsupported  comments  in a forum such as this. Is it suggested that the anonymity of the various contributors to this thread conceals the identity of dancers within the ENB who are speaking from personal experience? Their agents? Their families?If so, then even greater the concern. But many contributors to the forum speak with great expertise and I have always assumed must hold significant positions in the ballet world. At this point in time in particular with such an emphasis on the need to treat people with respect there are surely many both in this forum and in the wider ballet community in a position to take up the dancers' case if it is so dire as is being suggested? Why is this not happening?

By any external analysis the ENB shows no sign of an organisation in crisis - indeed the opposite.The article in the Times will have triggered discussion, not only in the ENB but also amongst their sponsors and the Arts Council. Warranted or not, these allegations in The Times will have consequences! If they prove to be substantiated it is obviously a matter of great concern for us all. If unwarranted they do great damage to Ms Rojo herself and either way it all poses a significant threat to the future of the Company and her attempts to turn it into a world class company!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David said:

But many contributors to the forum speak with great expertise and I have always assumed must hold significant positions in the ballet world. At this point in time in particular with such an emphasis on the need to treat people with respect there are surely many both in this forum and in the wider ballet community in a position to take up the dancers' case if it is so dire as is being suggested? Why is this not happening?

Are you able to say with complete authority that no one posting here has ever voiced concerns regarding the company to those in authority?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, David said:

By any external analysis the ENB shows no sign of an organisation in crisis - indeed the opposite.

I have no inside knowledge of the ballet world, but others have previously pointed out the known very high number of departures last season. That is an accepted sign of trouble in any organisation.

I can't speak for everyone, but far from taking any sort of vindictive or salacious pleasure in this story, I would still very much like to believe that all is well at ENB. I'd just rather not do so at the expense of these allegations being properly looked into.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Nina G. said:

Please  - - I have not suggested this of the dancers for one moment- rather I have stressed that it is because of their vulnerability that others should speak up for them. What I have been saying, or trying to say, is that so far  the allegations in the Times article that are being perpetuating in the various posts in this thread are unsubstantiated and that this is not the place to debate them. Clearly as Lizbie1 says the allegations must be properly looked but there are always two sides to any issue and natural justice demands a right of reply and a presumption of innocence until proven guilty. That seems to have been singularly lacking in this thread and is the only reason I made my post. And I ask the question that is always asked in these situations: if others in position of power and influence in the ballet world are aware of what is allegedly going on, why haven't they spoken out?     

7 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Graham Watts has added a postscript to his FB post:

"I want to clarify that I support unconditionally the rights of dancers (or, indeed, any employees) to be able to make complaints about abuses of power (fraud, violence, harassment) through an internal grievance process; but I certainly do not agree that anonymous leaks to the press are an acceptable alternative particularly when none of the aforementioned abuses of power are at all relevant. It strikes me as being mischievous and vindictive."

The problem with Watt's post is his 'concern' for the dancers is a post script! He very well knows that whistleblowers are usually anonymous and to accuse those brave enough to speak up as "mischievous and vindictive" is another example of why these dancers have not been believed, or their concerns listened to and their position has been so miserable.  Their plight is only being discussed now because of The Times article. Even on this BCF when the discussion's has focused on the unusually high amount of dancers who have left the company or the relationship between Rojo & Hernandez was mentioned - people didn't like it. For various reasons... 

I personally don't care who Rojo dates - I care about how it effects the dancers, and if dancers are saying that this relationship is making their position within the company so difficult that they have to leave - (& 2 such dancers have told me this  is why they left - & no, I won't name them as they have their careers to protect and  the ballet world is small and Rojo's connection's and influence is large,  does that also make me 'mischievous and vindictive Mr  Watt's?) - then they should be listened to. 

Noone is minimising Rojo's artistic achievement's - but she is a human being at the end of the day and therefore vulnerable to petty human conditions like jealousy, anger, revenge like the rest of us.

She is not omnipotent. Just as those sadly departed dancers are not just disgruntled, jealous dancers.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, David said:

If unwarranted they do great damage to Ms Rojo herself and either way it all poses a significant threat to the future of the Company and her attempts to turn it into a world class company!

So it wasn't a 'world class' company before Ms Rojo came along? I'm sorry, but I would beg to differ. Since Tamara Rojo took over yes she has replaced some excellent dancers with some different excellent dancers and yes she has added to the repertoire and yes she has drummed up some media interest. Otherwise ENB remains essentially ENB/LFB... 'world class'.

Edited by Darlex

3 hours ago, Nina G. said:

Please - I have not suggested this of the dancers for one moment- rather I have stressed that it is because of their vulnerability that others should speak up for them. What I have been saying, or trying to say, is that so far  the allegations in the Times that are being perpetuating and elaborated in the various posts in this thread are unsubstantiated and that this is not the place to judge them. Clearly as Lizbie1 says the allegations must be properly looked but there are always two sides to any issue and natural justice demands a right of reply and a presumption of innocence until proven guilty.  

So on the one hand, the public isn't supposed to believe an article in a reputable newspaper because the sources wished to remain, understandably, anonymous:  this must mean that it is nothing more than mischief and vindictiveness.  On the other hand, it's ok for the public to assume that there was bullying or abuse happening at the company because of a heavily edited documentary shown on TV?  Something is saying 'double standards' to me here.  

• Like 9

Just picking up Graham Watts' point about whistleblowing policies: to satisfy my curiosity I've just dug up the policy of a charity I'm well acquainted with.  From the way it's worded it's clear that it's designed to meet all the charity's legal obligations, and I don't think it's a bad policy, but there are definite limits to what it covers: for example, it explicitly states that it can't be applied to "reconsider" anything which has already been through the disciplinary or complaint process.

ENB's may differ in this respect, however.

6 hours ago, David said:

I am not aware that any anonymous, highly critical comments had been allowed to stand on this forum (as it would contravene AUP), but of course the Report function is available if anyone thinks otherwise.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Geoff said:

This story was published in Rupert Murdoch's Times, a loss-making product all too conscious of its need to fight its corner in a collapsing and ever more competitive market. The current editor, John Witherow, is highly professional but not known for his sympathy for the "arts". His instinct will be to want arts stories to fight their way into the paper on the same basis as any other, ie not because most people are interested in the arts per se (sadly most people aren't) but because readers respond to controversy and good stories.

This particular article is co-authored by that paper's new arts correspondent, David  Sanderson, who has clearly been brought in by Witherow to "stir things up" (see Sanderson's recent character assassination of a BBC arts executive, perhaps deserved, perhaps well-sourced but not typical of what previously passed as "arts coverage", which is not always the liveliest of corners of any newspaper). 

There may be truth in this story but its primary purpose is to offer scandal or at least controversy about a usually hidden world

I'm afraid a lot of newspaper coverage (even in the supposedly "quality" papers - after all, they are generally the ones which cover the arts) is heading in the same direction.  (Remember the Times(?) interview on the occasion of Ed Watson's 40th birthday which focused almost entirely on the negative reviews by a certain critic and the reaction to them?  Or another figure in the arts makes a fairly throwaway comment taking up less than 1/10 of an interview, but that gets made into the big headline because it's seen as controversial, and the figure gets a lot of stick as a result.)  I'm also not convinced that the primary motive for investigating sporting scandals is always love of the sport, rather than because it sells, but then perhaps I'm just overly cynical ;)

8 hours ago, David said:

I see there is to be a live worldwide cinema relay by the ENB of Akram Khan’s Giselle on the 25th April in which Ms Rojo is to be joined by James Streeter, Jeffrey Cirio and Stina Quagebeur - and which hopefully will eventually find its way to DVD.

There is - and it has been discussed in another thread.  However, it's totally irrelevant here.

8 hours ago, David said:

The trouble is, David, that, as Irmgard Berry has pointed out, you also appear to be making allegations under the cloak of anonymity. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought that we had to declare who we were on here if we were being critical of a named individual.

• Like 9

I think an issue is that Tamara Rojo is not just the boss of ENB. She's also its headline star and romantically involved with a principal dancer. There are a lot of boundaries that I imagine get blurred when the boss is also the company's biggest star and her boyfriend is in the company. The turnover at ENB seems to be a reflection of that. 

• Like 2

I think Tamara Rojo's job is incredibly difficult because of the many hats she has to wear. 

Considering this perhaps it's impossible for her to be successful on all fronts. Is it too much for one person? 

She must be aware of the problem of losing very good dancers she herself has recruited and wanted in the Company  ....I'm sure she doesn't mean to shoot herself in the foot as it were and am guessing ....as have no private knowledge ....that she must be a little worried about this and will be reflecting upon it. 

Is there anybody employed in companies like ROH and ENB to specifically look after dancers welfare?

something I witnessed a long time ago .....which may be fairly normal in ballet companies I don't know....made me think back then that the Artistic Director just cannot look after everything and all the issues which come up on a daily basis for dancers.

• Like 1

As uncomfortable as it might be to have a relationship at the workplace of this type - I doubt that that same relationship affects the dancers pay or payslip, the allowances or stipends for touring, the condition or state of the facilities, the ease or difficulties of getting the correct pointe shoes, the renewing or adding of work visas, passports, tour information, the difficulties of travel internationally and nationally, the lack or plenty of communication between administrative staff, artistic staff, music, dancers, dressers, Board... hopefully we get the point!!!  A well paid, clearly visibly paid dance company with attention to their needs of shoes, tights,  dance equipment, rehab facilities, prevention facilities, adequate rehearsal space, lockers, showers, the basic building needs, medical, financial/tax advisors - provides for healthy and safe employees. THESE are what should be looked at - not a work relationship that hasn't even seemed to have caused casting discreptencies.

Turnover in a company (arts or other) like turnover in a government doesn't necessarily mean trouble. It means change - and life whether business or personal is fluid - always has been and always will be. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MellissaHuntsley said:

As uncomfortable as it might be to have a relationship at the workplace of this type - I doubt that that same relationship affects the dancers pay or payslip, the allowances or stipends for touring, the condition or state of the facilities, the ease or difficulties of getting the correct pointe shoes, the renewing or adding of work visas, passports, tour information, the difficulties of travel internationally and nationally, the lack or plenty of communication between administrative staff, artistic staff, music, dancers, dressers, Board... hopefully we get the point!!!  A well paid, clearly visibly paid dance company with attention to their needs of shoes, tights,  dance equipment, rehab facilities, prevention facilities, adequate rehearsal space, lockers, showers, the basic building needs, medical, financial/tax advisors - provides for healthy and safe employees. THESE are what should be looked at - not a work relationship that hasn't even seemed to have caused casting discreptencies.

Turnover in a company (arts or other) like turnover in a government doesn't necessarily mean trouble. It means change - and life whether business or personal is fluid - always has been and always will be. 

I think you will find if you have read the entire thread that almost everyone here is indifferent to this relationship.

Now, what are your views on the claim that dancers are being made to perform while injured?

• Like 2

As in any athletic endeavor - the line between healed and not fully healed is blurred. The decision of when this occurs becomes a partnership of the athlete and the medical staff who approach the artistic staff together. So - is the medical staff, availability of treatment, timely appointments, consistent rehab - all in place?  Is the communication between those booking the appointments for the medical and those handling the insurance for the company/dancer clear?  Is there well established procedures?  Are there realistic guidelines for all involved?  Is there understanding on all sides of all this?

I don't know the answer to these questions - do you?  Can one feel unprepared for return if the procedures have been irractic or inconsistent?  What if the communication between medical and dancer is muddled, between staff and medical muddled  - this is an ongoing conversation in every single athletic organization in the world...  and yet, comes down to such an individual journey ...the key - as usual - open honest caring communication. 

• Like 1

To put all this into context, I think that it's only fair to point out that it was not that long ago that there was disquiet about the working conditions at the RB. I seem to remember that the union was called in and that a senior dancer, on resignation, complained of 'a lack of care and coaching'. And principals leave the RB too. In the relatively short time that I have been watching ballet the following principals have left the RB: David Mahkateli, Alina Cojacaru, Johan Kobborg, Rupert Pennefather, Roberta Marquez and Matthew Golding. Now, one could say that some of them retired from dancing but at least some of those may have planned to continue dancing if they had not left the RB. I certainly think that the number of dancers leaving ENB last season is a big red flag but I just wanted to point out that senior dancers have left the RB too in somewhat ambiguous circumstances. 

1 hour ago, aileen said:

To put all this into context, I think that it's only fair to point out that it was not that long ago that there was disquiet about the working conditions at the RB. I seem to remember that the union was called in and that a senior dancer, on resignation, complained of 'a lack of care and coaching'. And principals leave the RB too. In the relatively short time that I have been watching ballet the following principals have left the RB: David Mahkateli, Alina Cojacaru, Johan Kobborg, Rupert Pennefather, Roberta Marquez and Matthew Golding. Now, one could say that some of them retired from dancing but at least some of those may have planned to continue dancing if they had not left the RB. I certainly think that the number of dancers leaving ENB last season is a big red flag but I just wanted to point out that senior dancers have left the RB too in somewhat ambiguous circumstances. 

Those dancer left over a longer period of time, also the RB is larger than ENB, therefore the percentage of leavers is smaller;

• Like 2

I guess this is something we are accustomed to seeing in the U.S.  When Angel Corella took over Pennsylvania Ballet, there were dancers who left, knowing full well that his vision would change the company.  Several key staff members were fired instantly.  Within two years, the company lost 40% of its dancers through defection and firings.  I do not think we have seen the end of it.  Houston Ballet has had a slow bleed of dissatisfied, key dancers over the past several years, which has not received as much attention, but has been noticed by balletomanes.  The bigger story, which has never been publicized anywhere, is the revolving door at Boston Ballet during Nissinen's tenure.  Except for a few key dancers, many of us in the audience feel that we see a new company every year.  I wish someone would have kept track of the comings and goings, as I am sure it would be shocking.  As I mentioned before, when Zelensky took over in Munich, many dancers left the company (ironically being replaced by ENB dancers).  

In addition, I found this a very interesting comment from Graham Watts' facebook wall from Charlotte MacmIllan:  "In my 44 years of living on this earth and having had the privilege of seeing many many companies around the world; known dancers and directors, I can attest to the fact that with any arts institution, the boring old cliche “you can’t please all of the people all of the time” applies to every single ballet director I have ever met. I watched my father having to deal with the emotionally challenging ordeal of finding out that many of his favourite dancers were secretly voting to have his directorship at the Royal Ballet cut short, I have witnessed members of the Paris Opera Ballet threaten to walk out because they didn’t want to perform ‘Song of the Earth’ (apparently too contemporary for them in the 1980s)... Not to mention the vituperative reaction to the last 3 directors of ENB ... I could go on. We must not forget that the institutionalisation of dancers can produce a gaggle of infantilised adults who want/need to be loved and nurtured. And directors have the very difficult task of having to look after their ‘children’ as well as please the bums on seats. I applaud Tamara who has shown that the unenviable task of juggling two jobs at ENB can be done and with panache and taste. And who the hell cares about personal relationships ? Let’s not open the debate about directorship and sexual relationships as there are too many to mention who abused this power. In this instance, it is not."

• Like 1

Except that when Angel Corella fired so many of his dancers there was a torrent of negative publicity and criticism. PA Ballet sales remain rather slow and there's no telling whether Corella's slash and burn tactics will be successful. So yes it happens in the U.S. too but when it does there is negative publicity about it. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, fromthebalcony said:

In addition, I found this a very interesting comment from Graham Watts' facebook wall from Charlotte MacmIllan:  "In my 44 years of living on this earth and having had the privilege of seeing many many companies around the world; known dancers and directors, I can attest to the fact that with any arts institution, the boring old cliche “you can’t please all of the people all of the time” applies to every single ballet director I have ever met. I watched my father having to deal with the emotionally challenging ordeal of finding out that many of his favourite dancers were secretly voting to have his directorship at the Royal Ballet cut short, I have witnessed members of the Paris Opera Ballet threaten to walk out because they didn’t want to perform ‘Song of the Earth’ (apparently too contemporary for them in the 1980s)... Not to mention the vituperative reaction to the last 3 directors of ENB ... I could go on. We must not forget that the institutionalisation of dancers can produce a gaggle of infantilised adults who want/need to be loved and nurtured. And directors have the very difficult task of having to look after their ‘children’ as well as please the bums on seats. I applaud Tamara who has shown that the unenviable task of juggling two jobs at ENB can be done and with panache and taste. And who the hell cares about personal relationships ? Let’s not open the debate about directorship and sexual relationships as there are too many to mention who abused this power. In this instance, it is not."

I have no idea what is happening at ENB. But a few comments about what Charlotte Macmillan says:

• citing 'you can't please all of the people all of the time' is a time-honoured way of dismissing any negative views about anything, regardless of any justification there may be in them
  • since Kenneth Macmillan's directorship of the RB ended more than 40 years ago, Charlotte Macmillan would have been about 3 at the time of any voting about this issue
  • to dismiss dancers as 'infantilised adults' is grossly offensive to talented individuals who work in very demanding circumstances
  • any abuse of power that may or may not be happening is for others to decide on. It is not, in my view, appropriate for Charlotte Macmillan to seek to close down any such discussion
  • Like 12