ENB - article in The Times

Looking at the article, I would say that is the case.

Not good enough. I’m sure ENB have procedures in place. Whether or not they are being used properly is quite another matter. Of course the Board will tell the AC what it wants to hear. Who is asking the dancers?

• Like 6

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, MAX said:

Ok then everything is perfect now !  end of story  :mellow:

More than 7000 views here on BCF !

The terribly sad thing, if the report in The Stage is true, is that dancers' concerns may have gone unheeded. Having the correct procedures in place does not prove anything.

An interesting couple of reviews in Dance Europe, received today.

First, Lauretta Summerscales and Yonah Acosta in Don Quixote in Munich. "Virtuoso from start to finish, an incredible balance in attitude en pointe that seemed never to end, thirty-two fouttes, single and double consecutively, remaining on the spot" and, Yonah " an indescribable sequence of jetes en tournant in the coda that left the audience gaping in disbelief".

Cesar Corrales in Le Jeune Homme et la Mort. "....he does not look ,or perform like anyone else .......... as his every move and expression appears to explode and evolve from within the darkest corners of his soul ......... His vulnerability is painfully exposed in searing chasms as he becomes engulfed with the desire for Zhang's ravishing yet callous Girl"

These 3 stars were all at ENB but a few months ago. In a recent interview, Yonah said that he and Tamara "were fighting a lot". Now Cesar is leaving too. What a loss to the Company.

Nuff said.

• Like 9

There is clearly something very wrong going on at ENB.  I have heard rumours for a while and those in the know clearly can’t say publicly as it would be career suicide.  What a thoroughly depressing situation for such a fantastic company of dancers, always been my favourite company ever since Festival Ballet days.

I have read this thread from the start and some of the views Put forward about the dancers being childish or vindictive I find utterly shocking.  Dancers are clearly in a subordinate position and have always been made to feel they have no voice - goes with the training.  Things are changing for the better - slowly - but the attitude of ‘put up and shut up’ from some of the so called ballet lovers on this site is totally abhorrent to me.  It also shows a complete lack of understanding about the true nature of the training dancers receive

(or a burying of the head in the sand).  How can you profess to love ballet, know the history of the classics and make critical judgements on dancers when you have no concept of the reality of the training both physically and psychologically? 

I truly hope this does not die down and get blown over but it appears that an improved repertoire, a higher profile and presumably higher profits means that the actual dancers are just a problem to be silenced. 

• Like 14

ACE never acted when it was revealed Ms Rojo had been appointed director before the post was advertised in contravention of employment rules, nor did ACE act when a deputation expressed concern about the dismissal of Wayne Eagling and the behaviour of the board.  Why then did anyone expect a thorough examination of current problems?

Teflon Tamara appears untouchable.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nina G. said:

Can't the dancers insist on an independent enquiry? ACE and ENB Management seem to have met up, and settled, whilst the dancers are all away on their mid-Season break. That's not very democratic! 

What makes us think the dancers were not apprised of what has been taking place or that they have had not input?  We cannot make that assumption.

13 minutes ago, fromthebalcony said:

What makes us think the dancers were not apprised of what has been taking place or that they have had not input?  We cannot make that assumption.

The dancers are on their winter break.  Perhaps the leavers as well as the current company should have been interviewed too.  The charge sheet is a long one.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fromthebalcony said:

Sorry but we can (make that assumption) because some of us know it to be the case.

There has so far been no official response to the accusations in the Times by the company and no mention of a press release by ACE on it's findings.

Perhaps I should fill in the gaps

ACE  I hear one or two problems have been reported within this state sponsored company.

ENB  False news, all our dancers and staff are happy as Larry.

ACE  Awfully sorry to have bothered you in that case, bye bye.

In other words, move along people nothing to see here.

• Like 3

To MAB and those who have been very vociferous in their complaints against Tamara on this site I ask this question: is the only satisfactory outcome for you Tamara's departure from her post? Or are you hoping that there can be some kind of resolution?

• Like 2

Do you mean in this thread, or elsewhere on the Forum, aileen? Because - apologies if I've missed it - in this particular thread, people seem much more concerned with the welfare of the dancers than calling for Rojo to be dimissed (which personally I've not seen).  There have been remarks about Graham Watts' general language about and attitude towards the dancers, just as there has been concern and scepticism about the recent ACE/ENB meeting, but that's not the same as "vociferous complaints"about Ms Rojo herself.   To what are you referring? 

• Like 10

So, people don't hold Rojo responsible for the dissatisfaction among the dancers? I think that you're being a bit disingenuous, Anna. It's quite clear from comments on this thread and other threads that a number of posters dislike her (and many / most of her decisions), have never come to terms with Eagling's departure (many were in his 'camp') and hold her responsible for it and would be happy to see her go. 

There's a difference between concern about the number of leavers and the allegations that the dancers feel ignored and mistreated - both of which have happened under Rojo's tenure - and somewhat passive-aggressively asking if "vociferous" complainers here would "only be satisfied" with Rojo's dismissal.  All I'm doing is asking you where you've read this.  

You think I'm being disingenuous but to be fair, you seem to be putting words into people's mouths.  

• Like 6

Again, I can only speak for myself, but I have nothing against Rojo personally - indeed I admire her programming greatly, as I've recorded elsewhere. My concern (and, not being privy to the details, it can only be a concern and not a complaint) is that the board might not be giving sufficient time or energy to ensuring that proper governance is in place.  Rojo has great intelligence and many strengths, but came into this position with no management experience to speak of (AFAIK) and may not have received the training or support that was needed to make up for that.

I've been closely involved with at least one registered charity which, though everything appears rosy at the time, eventually came to grief by giving a strong personality their head, thereby storing up trouble for the future, however well everything looked in the present.  The trustees of any charity have legal obligations to ensure that proper oversight is in place, and if - IF - they aren't doing that effectively then maybe they need to be sharply reminded of those obligations. (As an aside, in the wake of the Kids Company debacle  the Charity Commission is at last putting a stronger focus on this than a few years ago.)

My ideal outcome is that, should a thorough and fair investigation find that remedial action is needed, Tamara Rojo remains in post but with enough scrutiny and governance that this kind of story doesn't have to happen again.  Anything less isn't good for her or anyone else.

• Like 12

I agree Lizbie1.

The main concern I have (as an outsider), and which seems to mirror other comments on here, is that the whole issue appears to be being brushed under the carpet without a full and non-biased objective investigation into the dancers’ complaints taking place. Whichever way you look at it, this should be happening. I’m not aware that anyone has suggested that Tamara should leave/be removed from her post, but there would appear to be issues that need to be addressed to ensure the dancers’ - and the Company’s - future wellbeing.

• Like 3

I don't agree that I'm being passive aggressive or putting words in posters' mouths, Anna. Some posters' dislike of Rojo is very evident. There are some who only post about Rojo and her alleged shortcomings and nothing else. If an AD's shortcomings are as great as they are alleged to be then surely the only outcome is for that AD to go. Is there really any way back from this?

• Like 2

I'm rather disturbed at suggestions on this thread that ACE is biased.  There is no reason for ACE to be biased (in fact it would be a significant issue for them if they were found to be biased) and if anyone has a significant concern in that department, they can make a freedom of information request to them.

I note that it is a condition of receiving a grant from ACE that the recipient has appropriate employment law and non-discrimination policies in place.

• Like 5

..several observations:

as the programming began to diversify into more than just full length ballets with different styles, rhythms, expressions - the company of men and women dancers needed to diversify. It seems that those that more enjoyed the "classic" full lengths chose to take their careers elsewhere. It doesn't seem like they were released or fired ( as in LOTS of companies) - it seems a choice was made. Does that mean all were happy or unhappy with programming choices?  Whose to know - but the bottom line is that a company that can dance many styles becomes more impactful. That's called growth...

... curious that those in this thread that say they know seem so determined to voice their dissatisfication - are you current or former company members?

...ok, so the dancers are on winter holiday - I'm sure so was staff... was this a calculated time for this article?  Who says the whole company - dancers musicians, administrative staff aren't being kept in the loop through email - who says things are t already set up for discussions/resolutions/brain storming when they are back...

...growth can be difficult and test our resolve - instead of picking sides or how this SHOULD be resolved - let's hope for honest communication throughout this company that represents the best of the U.K...

• Like 4

That's your prerogative, aileen.  Personally I still haven't seen anyone here calling for Rojo to be sacked.  In which case, *of course* there is a way back from this.  

That is to be open and transparent and hold a proper investigation - with mediation, perhaps by Equity, hearing the concerns of the dancers and why they feel they are not heard by Management.  They need to be able to give evidence of their issues and experiences without fear of reprisal.   Both sides need to feel able to talk and respond without interruption and for an unbiased and impartial person or team to chair the meeting and ensure that any measures are put in place and adhered to.  

This doesn't seem to have happened and there has been no public announcement that it will happen - enforcing the message (to us as observers, at least) that nothing has changed.  "Someone" from ACE having a chat with "someone" from ENB Management while the dancers are on holiday could appear to be lip service and nothing more.  Now of course there could have been more discussions behind the scenes, which we're not privy to, and I very much hope that's the case. 

• Like 13

Some things can't be 'talked through' eg harassment, ill treatment and lack of professionalism, which are being alleged here. Once a boss has lost the confidence of his/her staff then it's all over, rather like when a football manager 'loses the dressing room' - s/he can never stay. 

11 minutes ago, aileen said:

Some things can't be 'talked through' eg harassment, ill treatment and lack of professionalism, which are being alleged here. Once a boss has lost the confidence of his/her staff then it's all over, rather like when a football manager 'loses the dressing room' - s/he can never stay. 

Sorry, I'm confused: are you yourself arguing that she should go, regardless of the outcome of any investigation?

Personally, I've found that people can be very forgiving if a boss explains contentious actions satisfactorily or demonstrates that they've made the effort to do things better.

Well, some people on this forum already appear to have decided that the allegations are true. If the allegations have foundation then I can't see that there's a way back. I think that there should be some sort of investigation but I very much doubt that this matter can be resolved to everyone's satisfaction. 

1 hour ago, aileen said:

24 minutes ago, aileen said:

Well, some people on this forum already appear to have decided that the allegations are true. If the allegations have foundation then I can't see that there's a way back. I think that there should be some sort of investigation but I very much doubt that this matter can be resolved to everyone's satisfaction. 

Where I worked we had to do E&D refreshers every couple of years.  We were taught that if an individual or individuals considered themselves harassed then they were being harassed in their eyes whether there was justification or not.  Obviously if harassment was proven then appropriate action was taken, however if harassment was not proven (and this did happen) then the course of action would be different and a resolution would be sought that suited everybody.  That does not mean to say that people would be alleging harassment to cause trouble unnecessarily.

I do not know the ins and outs of what is or isn't going on at ENB but I would agree that an independent inquiry would be the best way forward for everyone.

• Like 11

From yesterday's report in the Daily Telegraph by Mark Monahan of an interview he had with Christopher Wheeldon. 

"I haven't worked with ENB under Tamara," Wheeldon says, "but | have a lot of respect for her. She's not the first director to have fallen in love with a dancer - I mean, we're in the theatre, for God's sake! You don't choose who you fall in love with and, from an outsider's perspective, that relationship, for me, is not the issue here. Obviously, the issue of concern is all the other stuff and I hope that they sort it out because they're a really good company".

45 minutes ago, turtledove said:

She's not the first director to have fallen in love with a dancer

I think this comment is key. If we're going to criticise Ms Rojo for this, where do we start? Balanchine? His behaviour came close to what we might call abusive nowadays. Do we discount what he did because of his relationships (multiple) with his leading dancers?

Edited by Kate_N
Typos!

8 minutes ago, Kate_N said:

If we're going to criticise Ms Rojo for this, where do we start? Balanchine? His behaviour came close to what we might call abusive nowadays. Do we discount what he did because of his relationships (multiple) with his leading dancers?

I haven't re-read the thread and may have forgotten something, but I don't think anyone on this thread has criticised Rojo over this part - on the contrary, I think it's been brought up far more often by those looking to defend her. Like Christopher Wheeldon, I think most people here are concerned about the rest of the picture.

I think that Balanchine has come in for a lot of posthumous criticism on the subject.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

I think that Balanchine has come in for a lot of posthumous criticism on the subject.

His name cropped up in social media purely on the basis of his amorous history, but a former company member rigorously defended him, saying that his behaviour never crossed any lines.  Balanchine clearly liked women and his relationships were in some ways limited by his profession, I've noticed most male dancers marry other dancers, after all is a studio so different from an office in that respect?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MAB said:

I've noticed most male dancers marry other dancers, after all is a studio so different from an office in that respect?

Certainly not. I guess that many of us on here met our partners at work.

Moreover, where ballet is concerned, it is not only a close-knit, unique community but also one where a man or woman especially needs his or her partner to fully understand that world.

• Like 5