ENB - article in The Times

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks as if we are moving forward with an actual name now, that of Jose Martin, note that he was named by three different  sources. Presumably he agreed to being named which gives me hope that others will be emboldened to give testimony.  Although most of us never doubted any of the accusations made, the whistle blowers'  understandable anonymity did provide ammunition to those people seeking to deny the problem, though whether others come forward depends on whether gagging orders were imposed.

I was surprised by the allegation that Ms Rojo was 'poached' by ENB.  Her appointment was indeed unorthodox but much was written about that at the time and I am surprised that the Times journalists did not do their homework a bit better.

With reference to the Guardian article it seems that Ms Rojo deflected possibly uncomfortable questions at the press conference by making a statement before she could be interrogated, but news hounds generally grab a story such as this by the teeth and don't let go.  Clearly the ballet variety are a poor bunch. 

5 minutes ago, MAB said:

It looks as if we are moving forward with an actual name now, that of Jose Martin, note that he was named by three different  sources. Presumably he agreed to being named which gives me hope that others will be emboldened to give testimony. 

I don't see why: his situation is completely different from the main allegations apparently being made by company dancers.

With reference to the Guardian article it seems that Ms Rojo deflected possibly uncomfortable questions at the press conference by making a statement before she could be interrogated, but news hounds generally grab a story such as this by the teeth and don't let go.  Clearly the ballet variety are a poor bunch. 

And indeed the news hounds have grabbed and not let go: I for one am sick and tired of reading in the papers about Rojo's personal life when there are far more important matters to be discussed, both inside and outside the ballet world!  I am - once again - very concerned at assumptions being made so easily from a writer's choice of a word - in this case, "digressed" - without any further evidence to support them, when you weren't at the event in question, a press conference called to announce next season's performance and introduce the press to ENB's new headquarters.

• Like 2

The word digressed was used in the Guardian article:

"At the ENB’s annual press conference on Tuesday, Rojo, 43, digressed from speaking about the forthcoming season to address the concerns.At the ENB’s annual press conference on Tuesday, Rojo, 43, digressed from speaking about the forthcoming season to address the concerns."

I'm afraid I don't believe there is a more important issue in the ballet world at the moment, at least not in this country.  I consider the treatment of dancers and their continued welfare to be of the upmost importance.

• Like 1

I know the word "digressed" was used, MAB, my concern is the - to my mind totally unfounded - inferences you've drawn from it.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the press conference myself, given its timing and location, but I see no reason from what's written to interpret it as anything more than that the PC was called to announce the 2018-19 season, but Rojo went off-topic to address the other concerns, for whatever reason.  And I agree with you about dancer welfare, but unfortunately what's happened again is that the focus of any reporting has been on Rojo's personal life, not the allegations about the treatment of dancers, or next season's offerings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MAB said:

It looks as if we are moving forward with an actual name now, that of Jose Martin, note that he was named by three different  sources. 

Without wanting to go further (and I am certainly not encouraging others to do so) Jose Martin's name appearing as a source for this story complexifies things, rather than simplifying them.

So, as I tried to do before, I would urge caution.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 3