RBS Summer School

rudolph23

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Motomum said:

😁 we took the photos in our lounge. I had no idea, I still don't know about any of this stuff. My son was in a full on foul mood, never again!! Compared to his JA application photos, the SS ones were a car crash!! So I am more than happy with him being placed on the WL. I expected a 'no' there were butterflies in the background. 😂

Sorry your daughter got a no, I hope she's ok. X

Thanks, she's disappointed of course and RB remains the mysterious place it always has been! Fingers crossed for your DS getting in - looks amazing if they can do it. :)

• Like 1

Many congratulations to the Yes's and to the WL, Commiserations and don't give up vibes to all the No's.

We got a yes for week 3 and have an exceptionally happy dancer today. We've been very blessed - Yes for JA's and now yes for her first summer school with RB. 

Those of you that got No's don't give up, I know its tough and the waiting for the email yesterday was like torture. My dd went to OPES residential last year as she wasn't old enough to apply for Royal and loved it. Every audition, every class, every workshop gives our kids the opportunity to learn, even if they don't carry on with dancing in the future. x

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, Tiaramum said:

Every audition, every class, every workshop gives our kids the opportunity to learn, even if they don't carry on with dancing in the future. x

This is so true.  I was feeling that DD was in a rut with dancing getting the same corrections for the last six months and she knew something wasn't right but didn't quite understanding what was wrong.  Anyway with a little persuasion, she went to a workshop the other weekend and a new teacher and learning a new piece of rep and a week later glowing praise from her regular teacher.  Something just clicked back into place.  It doesn't need to be an RBS week but something away from the normally ballet class helps keep everything alive.  Now on the hunt for a creative summer school - any ideas?

• Like 6

Well a no to SS but not too sad as DD already got a yes for Easter Intensive so gets to live the Royal dream finally after no's at JA's, a no for SS then 3 years of WL for SS....probably a relief here too as not sure we could've funded the 2 weeks the older age group do at SS.....that's why I ticked Easter as preference on the form as just the one week = cheaper so more likely could secure money to do it! Don't think there is the chance to afford a week long SS at all though would like pointers for day workshops/classes in Summer....ideally SW based & possibly London.

Photos not an exact science....same ones that got a yes for Easter didn't even get WL for SS so who knows???? Could be I guess that by ticking preference for Easter it took us off the SS list...which actually I do think would be fair as that gives more dancers the chance to go......this is perhaps also a good way of sugar coating the no ;) 

• Like 3

For all the DC with WL: DD has twice been offered RBS SS from the waiting list and also had waiting list for RBS associates the first year she applied (she got in the following year) so actually it is a good result even if it makes planning a nightmare..

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bollerina said:

Hi all, we have just received a non-residential offer, despite having applied for residential. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I am 99.9% sure of having ticked residential on the form... Thanks!

Is this for Covent Garden or WL? Might be worth contacting them to ask if can be placed on waiting list for residential 

• Like 1

On 28.2.2018 at 09:18, rudolph23 said:

Maybe lower school results today, and tomorrow, then? 🤔😃

17 hours ago, Mariska said:

We just received a yes for week 1&2, our DS is very chuffed.

Any other DS for the residential week 1&2? Does anybody know how many boy generally participate?

23 hours ago, Jane said:

Is this for Covent Garden or WL? Might be worth contacting them to ask if can be placed on waiting list for residential 

Thank you Jane, it was for WL. I have spoken to RBS and we are now on the waiting list for residential as you had suggested. 

On 01/03/2018 at 10:20, Bollerina said:

Hi all, we have just received a non-residential offer, despite having applied for residential. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I am 99.9% sure of having ticked residential on the form... Thanks!

I have heard of this before. Can happen when they really want your child to attend but have run out of beds. Well done to your DC.x

Don't want to disappoint anyone but 3 years on wait lists (all with different confusing names such as Priority Wait List one year, Select Wait List another & Director's Wait List I think it was once even ?  but am sure basically there is just one master wait list...) did not ever elicit a place sadly. TBH, it was almost a relief that it was an outright no for SS this time.....if only to prevent the awful limbo land feeling of must keep week free 'just in case'   

Easter Intensive place this year has made up for all the previous years disappointment & as we did tick that as priority over SS (as only 1 week not the 2 at age range for SS so considerably cheaper!) not too surprised....though must admit, Wait List would've still seemed an achievement rather than a no so well done to those with yes & well done & fingers crossed to those on wait lists! xx

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don’t worry Sarahitaly, we haven’t been contacted yet either, I think it’s usually a bit closer to the date around May time.  Which week is your dd on? My dd is week 4 and very excited, it’s her 2nd time xxx 

Edited by Snowflake

On 13/4/2018 at 19:18, Snowflake said:

Don’t worry Sarahitaly, we haven’t been contacted yet either, I think it’s usually a bit closer to the date around May time.  Which week is your dd on? My dd is week 4 and very excited, it’s her 2nd time xxx 

Thank you for the reply, my dd is 3rd week. Can l ask you a couple of questions? How many leotards did you pack?, and what do they do about snacks, do they need extra money ? Any info you can give me much appreciated x

9 hours ago, Sarahitaly said:

Thank you for the reply, my dd is 3rd week. Can l ask you a couple of questions? How many leotards did you pack?, and what do they do about snacks, do they need extra money ? Any info you can give me much appreciated x

We are packing a fresh leotard for every day so 5, one black they usually wear plain black for the parent viewing classes on the last day.  My dd likes nice cotton fabric and a camisole style, as it can get hot in England at this time of year especially in the south of England. We are in the north, so it’s a few degrees cooler, it can feel warm from my dd although it might not if you are used to the warmer climates of Italy !!😄  My dd has asked for a skirt too, not something she usually wears, but they are popular at summer schools she must believe.  Warm up boots as they move from class to class or a pair of easily slip on shoes.  They can take pocket money which is handed in in cash on the first day, my dd took £10. Food is lovely and they had a barbecue last time my dd went and she had lots of lovely snacks too. She also took a refillable water bottle for refilling at water fountains in between class.  It’s a wonderful experience, White Lodge is stunning and the grounds are beautiful.  Any more questions please feel free to DM me X

Edited by Snowflake
Spelling
  • Like 1

Yes tights. Unless your dd is one of the youngest (year5/6) then I think that they can wear tights or socks, but you’ll receive a handbook with lists of what she’ll need a little closer to the time xx 

Like snowflake my dd took a leotard for each day, with either a belt or skirt to wear with it. She’ll probably need a character skirt and character shoes (although if she doesn’t have the shoes they do say not to buy them, but in reality all the girls on my dd course had them) 

Snacks - she won’t need - they’re very well fed, in fact they encourage you not to take them. 

A named water bottle is a definite, and my hint is a portable mirror. My dd was fine at her last RBS summer school as she was in a twin room, but this time at the spring course she was in a larger dorm of approx 15 girls and there was only 1 mirror! (imagine the ocd of Ballet girls trying to get their buns right in limited time in the morning 😆) 

She’ll have an amazing time, they do activities in the evening so perhaps an outfit for a disco, but generally it’s quite casual clothing of an evening and they like them to wear sensible flat shoes in the evening (probably to prevent any injuries) xx 

• Like 2

Hi, we accepted our DS’ place straight after receiving the email offering him a place (WL week week 1and 2), but haven’t heard anything since? Does anyone know when the invoice and further information are being sent out? And do all their ballet and other clothing need to be labelled (hope not, as this is not required at his current vocational school in Berlin) with their name? Any info very welcome. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondered if anyone had heard anything from RBS since accepting their place?  My dd is attending week 3 but we haven't received an invoice yet and the initial email offering her a place stated that full payment needed to be made by 25th May.  Worried I have possibly missed an email or something but don't want to chase up if it's normal for the invoices to be sent so late?