Ones to Watch in 2018

5 minutes ago, capybara said:

Please be tolerant with us 'Londoners'. There are all kinds of issues in play when it comes to travelling to watch ballet - health and cost considerations being prime among them.

I don't think anyone on this thread is complaining about forum members not leaving London (though as I said, BRB and NB occasionally "go to the mountain", as the saying goes) - I do think that some "national" critics have a duty to broaden their horizons however.

• Like 6

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also add it's a lot easier travelling from Cumbria to London than trying to get to Leeds for example - a pretty reliable 3 hour service from Penrith, comfortable and, when booked in advance, cheaper than car parking at the station.  

1 hour ago, Nina G. said:

I'd love to watch other companies outside London but at my age I just can't travel far any longer. I do sometimes go to Sadler's Wells when the BRB are performing there, sometimes a friend invites me to accompany him to ENB but that's rather rare nowadays. The RB company for me is the easiest follow. 

I'm the same, Nina G.  London is one big hike for me but the last little hop from Waterloo to ROH is the most okay bit.  Sadler's Wells is just a hop too far unless for something amazing (another thing I hold against Sergei who I made the schlep for!).  I have tried going to Bristol to see Akram Khan because I can drive there, but I don't enjoy the hippodrome.  

Back to the main theme and I'm a little unsure about what is meant by 'up and coming'.  A number of dancers mentioned so far to me have very much arrived.  But as we are told a Swan Lake revival is likely to include opportunities for 'some of the up-and-coming Company dancers to take the principal roles' does that mean that we might include any one not cast in the first series of performances, including Principals?

If we're including James Hay, I'd also include Matthew Ball, Reece Clarke and Marcelino Sambe.  I think Kevin O'Hare and others have an unenviable task in deciding on promotions.

It strikes me yet again that we have an abundance of incredibly talented dancers and at every performance I attend there are always truly memorable accomplishments.

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

I'm the same, Nina G.  London is one big hike for me but the last little hop from Waterloo to ROH is the most okay bit.  Sadler's Wells is just a hop too far unless for something amazing (another thing I hold against Sergei who I made the schlep for!).  I have tried going to Bristol to see Akram Khan because I can drive there, but I don't enjoy the hippodrome.  

The Coliseum is just as quick if you head through the South Bank Centre, across Hungerford Bridge and through Charing Cross Station.

• Like 1

I agree from Waterloo it's marginally easier to get to the Coli than to ROH as the walk from Trafalgar Sq ( using Bakerloo line) to the Coli is shorter than the walk from Leicester Sq ( using Northern line) to ROH!!

Edited by LinMM

On 23/01/2018 at 18:35, Lizbie1 said:

I don't think anyone on this thread is complaining about forum members not leaving London (though as I said, BRB and NB occasionally "go to the mountain", as the saying goes) - I do think that some "national" critics have a duty to broaden their horizons however.

Hear, hear!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I agree from Waterloo it's marginally easier to get to the Coli than to ROH as the walk from Trafalgar Sq ( using Bakerloo line) to the Coli is shorter than the walk from Leicester Sq ( using Northern line) to ROH!!

But if you just hope on the 139 bus, it deposits you at the bottom of the road for ROH

Yes well that's another route as 139 stops at Trafalgar Sq too!!

so not sure which is shorter the walk from the Strand to the ROH or to the Coli from Trafalgar Sq .....cannot be much in it!

As I'm retired I tend to use the buses whenever possible myself as its free travel whereas I'd have to pay for the tube and hate using tube these days unless I absolutely have to for some reason.

I put the tube route because most people do use the tube rather than the bus.

On 21/01/2018 at 09:08, Jan McNulty said:

Great topic!

I'm glad TTP mentioned Isabella Gasparini - I have loved watching her since her early days at NB and it is always a thrill to see her on stage on my rare sorties to ROH.

Who else for me to watch?  Of course - Brandon Lawrence, Lachlan Monaghan Max Maslen, Aitor Galende, Delia Matthews, Yvette Knight, Yaoqian Shang, Ruth Brill at BRB.  Rachel Gillespie, Ayami Miyata, Gavin McCaig, Kevin Poeung, Matthew Moon at NB.  Josh Barwick at Rambert.  Jeremy Curnier at Kiel.

Suprised you didn't include Mlindi in your list of Northern ones to watch... ( unless you think this year will be quiet for him and the next  promotion come in 2019 )

Gavin will be pleased with your suggestion he's one to watch ...

Northern's rosta overall is pretty good although i think changes may be in the pipeline some closer to popping out the end than others 

9 minutes ago, Nicola H said:

Suprised you didn't include Mlindi in your list of Northern ones to watch... ( unless you think this year will be quiet for him and the next  promotion come in 2019 )

Because I believe he has already established his credentials as one who is unmissable!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Because I believe he has already established his credentials as one who is unmissable!

Fair enough ...  Guiliano's replacement at the top table do we think ? ( perhaps via a season or two at FS rather than straight to LS )

Well I'm going to go out on a limb here and plump for a young dancer at the Bolshoi!!

ive just heard tonight that Oscar Frame who has only been at the Bolshoi for a few months has been asked to step in and perform the Bluebird pas de deux with Ivan Vasiliev's partner!!! And has just been coached by both him and Tsiskaridze to do it!! 

Wow what a wonderful moment for Oscar ( some know his story from Doing Dance thread) 

So he's officially definitely one to watch now!! 

• Like 14

Oscars name is now on the official Bolshoi cast list for tomorrow Feb 2nd!

His partner is Maria Vinogradova....who I think is married to Ivan Vasiliev.....so no pressure then!! 

I honestly don't know how young dancers in any Company cope with this sort of pressure when given a chance to do a plum role much sort after! It must be a tad nerve wracking performing in front of all the other dancers and teachers around....never mind the audience!!

• Like 3

Yes, but what a wonderful opportunity. And what faith Vaziyev and Tsiskaridze are showing on Oscar. He must hold onto that.

BTW - so lovely, too, for his family and  all the people on Doing Dance who have followed his progress for many years

• Like 5

23 hours ago, LinMM said:

Yes and he's joining ENB next season!!

23 hours ago, SPD444 said:

Be that as it may - for me the one to watch is Harrison Lee. Prodigious talent signed contract with the RB. At the school tomorrow hope I see him their.

Yes LinMM - it would seem that Miss Rojo beat all the other ballet company directors in securing Shale Wagman for ENB 

• Like 1

Yes after Oscar I would say Harrison Lee is a one to watch too!!

He should graduate this year and can't see him NOT getting into the RB unless he's had enough of UK and wants to go elsewhere.

My friends DD in Sydney danced a pas de deux with him when they were both about 12 I think as part of some Dance Festival there ....so now that's going to be her claim to fame in the future she says!! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes after Oscar I would say Harrison Lee is a one to watch too!!

He should graduate this year and can't see him NOT getting into the RB unless he's had enough of UK and wants to go elsewhere.

My friends DD in Sydney danced a pas de deux with him when they were both about 12 I think as part of some Dance Festival there ....so now that's going to be her claim to fame in the future she says!! 

As noted above, he said at the PdL that he is signed up with RB.

• Like 1

Hee hee must be blind it's only a couple of posts back but just read from the very beginning of the thread to find it!! 

It will be interesting to see how Harrison has developed from the Prix just hope to get to at least one of the Upper school performances this year. 

On 2/6/2018 at 23:25, Springbourne3 said:

Yes LinMM - it would seem that Miss Rojo beat all the other ballet company directors in securing Shale Wagman for ENB 

let;s see if she can keep  him or whether he joins the list of  those who move  on because Ms Rojo prefers to bring in guest  principals to dance opposite herself 

• Like 2