Ones to Watch in 2018

I have just come across this list on tothepointe's website: http://tothepointemagazine.wixsite.com/tothepointemagazine/single-post/2018/01/20/ToThePointes-Ones-to-Watch-in-2018

It seems a great idea for a thread on BCF, not least because it focuses mainly on younger, up-and-coming dancers. I wonder who each of us on here will be 'watching' this year?

• Like 5

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic!

I'm glad TTP mentioned Isabella Gasparini - I have loved watching her since her early days at NB and it is always a thrill to see her on stage on my rare sorties to ROH.

Who else for me to watch?  Of course - Brandon Lawrence, Lachlan Monaghan Max Maslen, Aitor Galende, Delia Matthews, Yvette Knight, Yaoqian Shang, Ruth Brill at BRB.  Rachel Gillespie, Ayami Miyata, Gavin McCaig, Kevin Poeung, Matthew Moon at NB.  Josh Barwick at Rambert.  Jeremy Curnier at Kiel.

• Like 8

Agree with much of the above. 

I don't know if he has grown out of this category but the development of the extraordinary artist that is James Hay ALWAYS leaves me in keen admiration.  I can't wait for the privilege of being able to discover more.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, Blossom said:

David Donnelly! Have had the pleasure to watch him being coached in a workshop (plus he also appears in one of the Ashton Foundation workshops now on YouTube) and he is just wonderful to watch. 

I agree, Blossom.  He was excellent in The Invitation and I think he would make a lovely Lensky, so I hope he is given the chance next time around.  Mr O'Hare?!  😀

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Sim said:

I agree, Blossom.  He was excellent in The Invitation and I think he would make a lovely Lensky, so I hope he is given the chance next time around.  Mr O'Hare?!  😀

Yes I definitely agree with that Sim ! 

• Like 2

It is sad that Joseph Aumeer did choose Paris instead of London. He is such a talented dancer, I am sure he would have been a dancer to watch in 2018 if he had stayed in London.

I am not sure he goes a lot on stage in Paris where is he is still a "surnuméraire" which means on short term contracts, not part of the company yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Agree with much of the above. 

I don't know if he has grown out of this category but the development of the extraordinary artist that is James Hay ALWAYS leaves me in keen admiration.  I can't wait for the privilege of being able to discover more.  

More of James Hay please

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, MargaretN7 said:

I add Calvin Richardson to this list, not just his dancing but also his acting. The Royal Ballet Corps members are good at their involvement in what's happening but I often find myself taking notice of Calvin.

Yes, TTP has highlighted him in her article!  

• Like 1

I agree about many of the dancers mentioned above. But, excluding artists who are already 'up there', additional 'names' for me are:

• Fernanda Carratala Coloma, Daniel McCormick, Ken Saruhashi, Connie Vowles and Jia Zhang (ENB)
  • Teo Dubreuil, Francisco Serrano, Chisato Katsura and Sae Maeda (RB)

Aren't we lucky to have so many wonderful young dancers to watch?

• Like 6

I cannot remember a time when there was so much special talent in the various ranks, be it at the RB, or BRB,ENB,NB, and Scottish. 

The UK is awash with talented and dedicated ballet dancers and this should be celebrated. I hope the government takes note!!! (which European country can boast the same?)

Edited by Nina G.
to add text
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, capybara said:

I agree about many of the dancers mentioned above. But, excluding artists who are already 'up there', additional 'names' for me are:

• Fernanda Carratala Coloma, Daniel McCormick, Ken Saruhashi, Connie Vowles and Jia Zhang (ENB)
  • Teo Dubreuil, Francisco Serrano, Chisato Katsura and Sae Maeda (RB)

Aren't we lucky to have so many wonderful young dancers to watch?

And I forgot to mention Erik Woolhouse (ENB) - a young man bursting with talent.

• Like 3

Bless Janet McNulty for being aware - unlike most ballet critics - that great ballet exists outside London. But how would they know as they never travel outside the M25? I agree totally with her list from BRB and NB.

I would add to all these names William Bracewell, who was superb in Nutcracker at the Opera House and surely is a great classical principal in the making

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Barnes2 said:

Bless Janet McNulty for being aware - unlike most ballet critics - that great ballet exists outside London. But how would they know as they never travel outside the M25? I agree totally with her list from BRB and NB.

I would add to all these names William Bracewell, who was superb in Nutcracker at the Opera House and surely is a great classical principal in the making

Not sure if you have read the original link, but William Bracewell is profiled in it.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnes2 said:

Bless Janet McNulty for being aware - unlike most ballet critics - that great ballet exists outside London. But how would they know as they never travel outside the M25?

That's a little unfair: some of them do go to Birmingham and Leeds and places occasionally, albeit not enough - although to what extent that's up to them rather than their editors I don't know.  Equally, not all forum members are able to travel as extensively as Janet does - I myself haven't been able to get beyond London for the last year or more, for example.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, alison said:

That's a little unfair: some of them do go to Birmingham and Leeds and places occasionally, albeit not enough - although to what extent that's up to them rather than their editors I don't know.  Equally, not all forum members are able to travel as extensively as Janet does - I myself haven't been able to get beyond London for the last year or more, for example.

But only a little! The Times for example 1) devotes more space than any other newspaper to ballet and 2) covers all the other art forms extensively on a national basis; yet Debra Craine seldom sets foot outside London: the only reason recent-ish exception being I think being Hull for - you've guessed it! - the RB. It may be that personal circumstances dictate that she can't get away from London, but her editor should be coming up with an alternative answer.  (I got quite hopeful when they carried a review from Southampton by another critic before Christmas, but I don't think they've repeated the experiment.)

And forum members are at liberty to see BRB and NB in London as well :)

I'd love to watch other companies outside London but at my age I just can't travel far any longer. I do sometimes go to Sadler's Wells when the BRB are performing there, sometimes a friend invites me to accompany him to ENB but that's rather rare nowadays. The RB company for me is the easiest follow. 

• Like 3