Strengthening tips/advice for leg extensions wanted! 😊

Balletforever

Hi... I’m looking for some  strengthening tips to help me get my leg higher in extensions. I have good turnout (full flat turnout) and am flexible (all 3 splits etc) but really struggle maintaining height of leg during adage..grande battlement there’s no problem! 

I suffered a back injury and as a result had to keep extensions low and no more than 45 degrees for a long period of time..which is why I suspect I can no longer lift my leg higher..something I never struggled with pre-injury..My dance physio now allows me to lift my leg 90 degrees and above but I don’t have the strength to hold it at all!!

Any tips on exercises I could do to strengthen would be greatly appreciated😊

Edited by Jan McNulty

Hello Balletforever, 

Have you tried doing water barre? It's basically barre but in a swimming pool. It's best to try to find a pool which isn't too cold, or the cold will make you tense up instead of relaxing.  My daughter suffered a bad back injury and after resting and doing pilates, she was finally allowed to try doing barre work in a pool.  You are assisted by the water and if your Physio is happy, you can try getting the leg a little higher each time.  

Pilates is also vital because a strong core helps to protect the back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

Hello Balletforever, 

Have you tried doing water barre? It's basically barre but in a swimming pool. It's best to try to find a pool which isn't too cold, or the cold will make you tense up instead of relaxing.  My daughter suffered a bad back injury and after resting and doing pilates, she was finally allowed to try doing barre work in a pool.  You are assisted by the water and if your Physio is happy, you can try getting the leg a little higher each time.  

Pilates is also vital because a strong core helps to protect the back. 

Thank you this is really helpful advice 😊 I will try both! When I go on holiday this year my hotel has a special hydrotherapy pool so water barre could definitely work there! Any advice on any good Pilates DVD’s? 

• Like 1

A hydrotherapy pool would be perfect. ☺️ Re Pilates dvds, not sure if you can still get it, but there was a really good one called "Pilates for young dancers". If you've never done any Pilates, it would be good if you could find a good class or ask your Physio to teach you some core strengthening exercises. 

• Like 1

I hope you don't mind me asking, but you say you have a dance physio - therefore have you asked them for help with this? They are your best option as they know you and can explain things clearly. Without knowing you, or your injury, any one of us here (however good our intentions) may give you advice that may be incorrect or harmful. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drdance said:

I hope you don't mind me asking, but you say you have a dance physio - therefore have you asked them for help with this? They are your best option as they know you and can explain things clearly. Without knowing you, or your injury, any one of us here (however good our intentions) may give you advice that may be incorrect or harmful. 

Good point, Dr Dance.  My daughter started water barre on the advice of (and with permission from) both her marvellous sports injury Consultant and her Physios.  I should have said that earlier and advised you to consult with your medical team first, Balletforever. 

• Like 1

@drdance @Anna C no worries, I would have no intention of doing anything new without my physio’s permission or opinion first..unfortunately I live a 6hour car journey away from my dance physio but are in regular contact over email so no problems with communication! I will probably have an appointment in half term so can discuss the ideas then, if not sooner😊

• Like 2