The Royal Ballet: Giselle, January-March 2018

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, annamk said:

The quality of the dancing from Takada, Ella and Kaneko was exceptionally high. The Act 2 pdd was remarkable for the synchronisation between Takada & Ella: all three of the cross stage jumps were executed and landed EXACTLY together ! 

yes, that's the first time I've seen that happen this run (the 3 jumps). Was mesmerised by Ms Takada's beautiful 'Giselle' arms in the pdd, simply gorgeous.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes I'm going!

30 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Yes, I’m there.

29 minutes ago, Sim said:

So am I!  The bottom of the escalator is where we usually converge. 

Well I look fwd to meeting you all 🙂👋

DD and I will be there; I only manage to shuttle between seat and loo in the interval :lol:

Stupid question but if we'd like to leave a card or flowers for a dancer, can we leave these at the stage door pre-performance? We do that the Coli but from dd doing Wells Masterclasses at the ROH I seem to remember security being very strict about who can enter the stage door.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anna C said:

DD and I will be there; I only manage to shuttle between seat and loo in the interval :lol:

Stupid question but if we'd like to leave a card or flowers for a dancer, can we leave these at the stage door pre-performance? We do that the Coli but from dd doing Wells Masterclasses at the ROH I seem to remember security being very strict about who can enter the stage door.

Yes.

Just go through the stage door and there is a reception area there and the people on the sign in desk will accept stuff for the dancers

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LinMM said:

Not sure what wearing yet something very warm by the look of things .....though most of my really warm jumpers are probably not that ROH friendly!! ......but will post when have decided!!

There isn't such a thing as ROH friendly dressing LinMM, everyone wears what they want, there really is NO dress code at all. I have seen youngsters (and the not so young too) in trainers, torn jeans, very casually dressed, ...it really doesn't matter what you wear when you are at the ROH.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Nina G. said:

There isn't such a thing as ROH friendly dressing LinMM, everyone wears what they want, there really is NO dress code at all. I have seen youngsters (and the not so young too) in trainers, torn jeans, very casually dressed, ...it really doesn't matter what you wear when you are at the ROH.

It used to!  I well remember coming on a day trip dressed for the weather and being tutted in the old bar behind the stalls because I was wearing trousers - that was in the early 90s.  But I agree it no longer seems to apply.

• Like 4

No, I think part of the ROH wanting to have a broader appeal is to accept anybody, dressed pretty much how they want.  You should see some of the get-ups on Wayne McGregor opening nights!!  :lol:

I have worn jeans many times (especially if I am standing), but as I usually go straight from work I am in casual work clothes.  

So go ahead.....express yourself, LinMM !!

• Like 6

Would be great to meet/ see other posters and will be at Giselle Sat matinee. Will try to get to bottom of escalator in interval but not sure how feasible from Grand Tier left B3 in a Wheelchair.. If I don’t get to meeting point and you can see me in auditorium give me a wave! Will try and do a dummy run before performance. So excited to be seeing such young talent. I have been so lucky to watch talents emerging over so many years. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jillykins said:

Would be great to meet/ see other posters and will be at Giselle Sat matinee. Will try to get to bottom of escalator in interval but not sure how feasible from Grand Tier left B3 in a Wheelchair.. If I don’t get to meeting point and you can see me in auditorium give me a wave! Will try and do a dummy run before performance. So excited to be seeing such young talent. I have been so lucky to watch talents emerging over so many years. 

Lift between Grand Tier left and Hall.

• Like 2

Okay so definitely won't catch me in a hat .....well maybe at the odd wedding....but probably won't be wearing one of my baggy woolly jumpers which I wear a lot around the house with sweat pants ....I suppose that is the real me come to think of it....It's always more difficult in the winter because the tops I have won't really be warm enough without a t shirt vesty thing underneath and then I spend the time checking if it's become visible above the neckline!! I've only got two decent jumpers and they're both black!! So as will be wearing black trousers might be a tad funereal! But if it's really freezing tomorrow ( anything below 5 degrees) all black it will have to be! 

Otherwise will have a root around and see which top is less likely to show the t shirt underneath!! 

Im sure none of you want to know all this.....about my wardrobe dilemmas!  

And talking of wardrobes my partner is getting very fed up as since I've taken up ballet again I seem to have acquired three quarters of the wardrobe now with all the skirts and over tops and tights and ballet shoes and performance gear and costumes etc etc. Looks like we will need a new bigger one fairly soon now!! 

• Like 4

Londoners really are a scruffy lot!   When I used to travel for work, and was taken out in the evenings, I was always struck by how much smarter people were outside the capital.  

I can't believe some of the things I've seen people wear at the Opera House.  The last time I was there, I saw a couple who looked as though they had just popped in while taking a break from doing the decorating.  I'm certain they don't go to work dressed like that, unless they have an occupation where they get dirty, of course.  And I sat behind a row of tourists who had clearly come from a hard day of sightseeing, and hadn't bothered to change. The chap in front of me didn't exactly smell fresh. 

I am not saying people should wear a ball gown or dinner jacket, but they could at least put on something clean.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Fonty said:

I am not saying people should wear a ball gown or dinner jacket, but they could at least put on something clean.  

Agreed. Whether the person next to me is looking scruffy, neat or dressed up to the nines is none of my business; if I can either smell or hear their clothing, that is going to be affecting my enjoyment of the performance and therefore IS my business.  The same applies whether the bad smell is coming from poor hygiene or excessive perfume, and whether the noisy clothing is coming from cheap shell-suit material constantly rubbing together or expensive bangles.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fiz said:

I used to love wearing a nice dress to the ROH. It’s a shame.

When I was working I used to turn up at the ROH looking quite smart. Nowadays it's more likely to be something comfortable and I try not to wear the sort of perfume that was being worn at the opera a couple of months ago. Tonight at Giselle there was much coughing at the beginning of Act2; rather spoilt the ghostly effect. But a lovely performance from all, including a rather good Hilarion from Tomas Mock.

• Like 1