The Royal Ballet: Giselle, January-March 2018

Thanks again for the wonderful pictures Don Q fan. They do capture a very special performance really well. I wasn't there that day but I was there when Matthew Ball stepped in for David Hallberg and I thought he was as wonderful then as when he did the full length performance with Yasmine. Incidentally, I thought the RB had a principal on site to take over if anything went wrong. I know it's not possible to cover all roles but I remember what a wait there was when Osipova fell in Don Q and Takada had to come from home and take over having danced the role at the matinee. Surely they must have principals on site if a performance is being filmed or would they just use the footage from the film of the earlier performance as 2 shows are normally filmed? Anyway, though being disappointed about Hallberg I was really pleased to see Matthew again and fingers crossed for seeing Hallberg in Manon. Also looking forward to seeing Osipova/Ball in Swan Lake. What an embarrassment of riches we have to look forward to at the RB these days!

• Like 8

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, alison said:

Didn't we decide that they usually sent the "spare" principal home at the beginning of the performance if things were okay, and assuming there was no compelling reason to keep them there?

I can't comment on the RB but some years ago Tiit Helimets was in a restaurant in Edinburgh when he got the call to take over a performance of Coppelia at the gpdd.

I also saw Chi take over a performance of Fille in Plymouth after the Fanny Elsler pdd.  Although I think he must have been in the theatre as the curtain wasn't down for long.

In Leigh Witchel's review of the Osipova/Ball Giselle he writes:

" Osipova’s Act 2 entry was an Osipovism where she altered the choreography to create a unique, larger-than-life effect: wild spinning followed by huge jumps picking her legs up under her. "

This sounds very much like what I think I saw Naghdi do at that point - is it now standard? (Or did I imagine it?)

• Like 1

I read that review and wondered where it was coming from. Having looked at a whole load of Giselle clips on YouTube I don't think the choreography, with the exception of those beautiful  turning lifts (which I've seen before and is on an Osipova/ Shkylarov clip) is very much different in the various interpretations. I know there used to be some differences in the American version when we saw it there in the 1980's, so that might explain her opinion.

I did wonder if she was at the same performance as the rest of us....

I, for one, am still not over it!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mummykool said:

I did wonder if she was at the same performance as the rest of us....

I, for one, am still not over it!

I agree so much with you, Mummykool. While describing various jumps, arms, legs, etc. this critic missed the most important — the atmosphere created by the dancers and the emotional peak of that performance, which gripped the audience.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Amelia said:

I agree so much with you, Mummykool. While describing various jumps, arms, legs, etc. this critic missed the most important — the atmosphere created by the dancers and the emotional peak of that performance, which gripped the audience.

I didn't read the review as being overtly critical of Osipova - just describing her unique/idiosyncratic way of dancing the role. In fact I really enjoyed the writing and found it very illuminating. Maybe I read it too quickly!

• Like 6

I think there was a certain amount of pique in parts of the revue, I got the impression he had come to see Hallberg and felt short-changed.  This is the second time I've read Matthew Ball being described as 'pretty'.  I'm uncomfortable with that term as I find it demeaning, not as overt as the suggestion he gets roles because he is handsome but the implication is there.  With regard to changes in choreography, a jump or a spin can be integral, but steps can look very different on different dancers with different speed and elevation.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, MAB said:

I think there was a certain amount of pique in parts of the revue, I got the impression he had come to see Hallberg and felt short-changed.  This is the second time I've read Matthew Ball being described as 'pretty'.  I'm uncomfortable with that term as I find it demeaning, not as overt as the suggestion he gets roles because he is handsome but the implication is there.  With regard to changes in choreography, a jump or a spin can be integral, but steps can look very different on different dancers with different speed and elevation.

Oh, MAB - 'revue' rather than 'review' .... You did make me laugh.  Thank you. 

For a moment you had me imagining Leigh Witchel disguising himself as a 'pretty' Hermione Gingold and prancing about with glee purposefully on the theme of 'Matthew Ball'.  :)   (I was assuming this was in one of the new very Flash ROH loos prior to returning to his complimentary seat [only one mind] where all decorum would, of course, be observed.)  Sadly I can't remember the music.  No, no.  I think it was Ruth Etting's entrancing 1929 'Button Up Your Overcoat'.  The vision was - as you suggest - piquant.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4