The Royal Ballet: Giselle, January-March 2018

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, alison said:

You had your eyes on them for every second of Act I? ;)  I'm used to seeing both Giselle and Albrecht disappearing offstage at various times.

Alexander Campbell stood at the back centre interacting with the ladies of the corps de ballet and Francesca Hayward was alongside Berthe reacting to the dancing of the Pas de Six.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

When did Sarah Lamb replace Laura Morera tonight? :(

I seem fated never to catch Laura's Giselle.  :(

Gosh, glad I saw this. I’m still stuck in London and had been tempted to get a ticket to see Laura Morera...

Someone mentioned higher up the thread the 2nd act lift.  I also loved it.  Whether it was a 'safety' lift, or whether that's how Natalia would have done it anyway, I don't know, but....it worked beautifully.  The way Matthew slowly turned around with her aloft above his head was just lovely.  It really made it seem as if she were hovering over him, protecting him.  Loved loved loved it.  

• Like 15

16 minutes ago, Sim said:

Someone mentioned higher up the thread the 2nd act lift.  I also loved it.  Whether it was a 'safety' lift, or whether that's how Natalia would have done it anyway, I don't know, but....it worked beautifully.  The way Matthew slowly turned around with her aloft above his head was just lovely.  It really made it seem as if she were hovering over him, protecting him.  Loved loved loved it.  

I agree entirely - I thought it was beautiful, a much more musical and ethereal version of the lift than the usual. Just lovely.

As ever, Osipova was unparalleled in the role, and I was absolutely in raptures over the partnership with Hallberg until the ill-fated injury. But Matthew Ball did wonderfully to step in at such short notice and I was glad to get a sneak peek of the upcoming pairing for Swan Lake. Emotionally, though, I agree that the evening felt somewhat cruelly curtailed, with Hallberg & Osipova unable to bring the intensity of Act I to fruition, and Ball & Osipova not having had the chance to build up the connection over the course of the full ballet. I'm looking forward to seeing the full expression of this partnership in Swan Lake - and keeping everything crossed that Hallberg will be able to perform next week and give us the Giselle we were all hoping for.

• Like 10

Gosh - what drama yesterday at the ROH. What with the weather and the performance. I had been tempted to get a last minute ticket but did not because I was concerned about getting home on south western trains. 

i was following progress on Twitter when I saw a reference to a "rumour" and hoped it wasn't that Natalia Osipova was injured. I never thought that David Hallberg had been injured! I was so very sorry to hear the news. 

Reading about out it on Twitter I was so impressed with the commitment of the dancers, to their art, each other and their audience. So professional. 

I very much much hope that David Hallberg recovers in time for next week when I will be attending.

• Like 6

In the midst of all the unexpected drama last night I was left with the overriding feeling that we had witnessed a very special Giselle indeed - one that, for me, surpassed Osipova's previous performances at the ROH.

Thank you to Matthew Ball for enabling that to happen and for giving such wonderful life (and near death!) to Albrecht in Act 2.

And warm wishes to David Hallberg for getting better whatever is wrong [Dance Europe is saying that he was anxious about aggravating a minor injury had he continued into Act 2].

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, RuthE said:

“It has been necessary to make the following cast change” says nothing, really. I actually wondered if Morera is snowed in somewhere!

I know that nothing is guaranteed and etc, but I can't help thinking that SOME sort of explanation should be given if a principal cast is changed, since at least some members of the audience will have booked specifically for them.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I know that nothing is guaranteed and etc, but I can't help thinking that SOME sort of explanation should be given if a principal cast is changed, since at least some members of the audience will have booked specifically for them.

And the members of the audience were given one by Kevin O'Hare - Morera was taken ill last night.

• Like 2

Is this production to be shown in cinemas?  I couldn't get to the Winter's Tale because it was my mother's 90th birthday and we held a small party for her in the hospital but the local cinema club here usually shows most live transmissions and I'd love to see it.

Linda

How amazing that he completed Act 1 under these circumstances, not betraying his pain either physically or facially.  There wasn't even a wince when he sustained the injury.  What a pro.   I hope he is better by Friday so that he and Natalia can dance their longed-for performance.  I am sure she is hurting as much as he is.

• Like 17

This is so incredibly disappointing, especially after being teased with such a sensational Act 1.  Like everyone (mostly David and Natalia though) I was looking forward to this for months.  I also have a friend who is coming over from the States for this performance!    Such a pity.  Anyway, I hope David recovers well and quickly and we will have to keep everything crossed for Manon in April.    

If anyone had to replace him, I am thrilled that it is Matthew Ball.  His debut with Yasmine was sublime, just as his Act 2 with Natalia was on Thursday night.  

Best wishes to all three of these wonderful dancers.  

• Like 17

“This is so incredibly disappointing, especially after being teased with such a sensational Act 1.  Like everyone (mostly David and Natalia though) I was looking forward to this for months.  I also have a friend who is coming over from the States for this performance!    Such a pity.  Anyway, I hope David recovers well and quickly and we will have to keep everything crossed for Manon in April.    

If anyone had to replace him, I am thrilled that it is Matthew Ball.  His debut with Yasmine was sublime, just as his Act 2 with Natalia was on Thursday night. “

....and if someone has to replace David Hallberg in Manon, I rather hope it can be Matthew Ball too!

• Like 5

Now that the drama and disappointment (with regards to Hallberg) and the respect and admiration (for Matthew Ball) have settled down a bit since last Thursday, I find that I have a visual equivalent of an earworm with respect to Natalia's performance.  I keep remembering certain moments - how convincing she is when taken ill in Act 1, the way she looked at Hallberg, the wonderful unexpected lifts in Act II - and the more I think about it, the more astonishing I find it that she could give such an incredibly intense and memorable performance with two completely different partners. She really is something special and I think we are so lucky to have her dancing with the Royal Ballet.  Hope all who have tickets for Friday have a great evening - and fingers crossed for a swift recovery for Hallberg and the opportunity to see him in Manon.

• Like 17

Sad but not surprised about the cast change. Wishing a speedy recovery to Mr Hallberg.  I am sure that Ms Osipova and Mr Ball will do their best to make the performance memorable - for the right reasons. I am very much looking forward to Friday.

• Like 8

Very disappointing  news, of course. I wonder if this injury will hamper their preparations for Manon? 

(If a Plan B is needed  I would very much welcome an invitation to Vladimir

Shklyarov if Hallberg will not be recovered for Manon, though it would be a debut if it happened ..)

• Like 2