sunrise81

YBSS application 2018

12 minutes ago, sarahw said:

I think it's difficult to say as it really depends on the quality and abilities of the teacher.

Based on SS and vocational school experience I think over 20 is usually difficult to supervise properly.

I too am keen on value for money!!

Absolutely  and other than  'company class'    of a morning    i'd   suggest  that is a sensible number  (  for company class  one teacher leading class  assisted other teachers spotting and  correcting  their  groups  )

My DD is going to YBSS for the first time this year. She’s currently in year 9 so I guess she’ll end up in the middle group? Anyway the time might be better organised for the youngest group this year and maybe classes won’t be that big? There is already one difference  under the new management- we are all to receive a welcome pack after we pay the deposit. I know that this is new. 

• Like 5

On 24/04/2018 at 20:32, junedancer said:

What are the class sizes at the various summer schools?

So to answer my own question - well not really but an analogous one - over a glass or two this evening DD's friend's Mum and I have done some research on summer schools.  We don't have class sizes but have worked out some figures on the daily costs of around 10 courses, in some cases residential and non-residential.  The range is from a start of £58 a day for non-residential to a top cost of £153 for residential.  Within this the non-residential goes from the £58 to £106 and residential from £103 to the £158.  However if you take into account NYB this goes down to £85 for residential but from what we have read there are other costs to factor in with NYB.  We have done our best to take account of those courses which run shorter days but as our joint knowledge is limited (even taking into account our avid reading of balletcoforum :rolleyes: ) and please do bear in mind the Image result for wine emoticon this is all just a rough guide.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, junedancer said:

So to answer my own question - well not really but an analogous one - over a glass or two this evening DD's friend's Mum and I have done some research on summer schools.  We don't have class sizes but have worked out some figures on the daily costs of around 10 courses, in some cases residential and non-residential.  The range is from a start of £58 a day for non-residential to a top cost of £153 for residential.  Within this the non-residential goes from the £58 to £106 and residential from £103 to the £158.  However if you take into account NYB this goes down to £85 for residential but from what we have read there are other costs to factor in with NYB.  We have done our best to take account of those courses which run shorter days but as our joint knowledge is limited (even taking into account our avid reading of balletcoforum :rolleyes: ) and please do bear in mind the Image result for wine emoticon this is all just a rough guide.

and that  bears out   with similar costs for adult intensives  to the none  residential intensives ...( certainly those in the Midlands and North based on the prices  advertised  by  KNT and  The Ballet Retreat )

On 24/04/2018 at 10:22, amos73 said:

Hi TBG

DD went last year. She was in the younger group then - she thought there was too much free time, although she had lots of fun in the free time, but she wanted to be dancing more (this year she would be in the next group up age-wise and they seemed to have less free time if I remember from the schedules).

She didn't mention the class sizes being too big. Other summer schools she did were similar size. She did feel she got corrections and thought some of the teachers there were outstanding and she learned a lot from them. She had great fun and made loads of friends. It is a fab opportunity for kids at vocational schools to meet kids from other vocational schools. Lots of running around on the grass in the late evening sun etc.

She got awarded a scholarship this year but unfortunately wont be able to take it up, but would still def apply in the future. I would be really interested to hear from anyone who does go, how this year's format compares, and if it has changed a lot under the new directorship.

Hope this helps.

Thank you amos73, that is really helpful. What age/yr group do they go up from younger group to next age group. My dd is yr 8. As much as i want value for money, it should also be about having fun and in a more relaxed environment than being at school. It is a great opportunity to meet new (and old ) friends, and to share experiences.These are their holidays and dd would go mad if she couldnt dance. Having said that, dd will be expecting corrections. We will just have to wait and see how it compares to others. 

Xx

• Like 1

Hi TBG -

DD is y8 now so last year in y7 she was one of the oldest in the younger group, I think it must go from y5-y7 in that group.

Y8 would be in the next group up.

DD had loads of fun and did get plenty of corrections. She thought some of the teachers were outstanding.

• Like 2

Just booked DD on to the Leeds Junior class. She won't be 10.....a couple of months off. Emailed them and said absolutely fine for her to go :) She is excited already as she loved the audition class she experienced. 

• Like 1

Junedancer 

I think my summer school affords better value than the ones quoted !

Less than £40 a day .

Class sizes capped at 16 but usually 12 or less.

Thank you Sarahw and those who have written testimonies .

Two weeks this year by popular request and a production of Swan Lake in a theatre .

Plus a lot of fun !!!

• Like 4

Can anybody tell me how is the food in YBSS? Lots of healthy choices? Choice of fruits everyday? or not so healthy but “child friendly”? Is it advisable to pack lots of snacks? 

Also what DC do on the first Saturday after the welcome talk at 4;30pm? I know that there are no classes on the first day. 

For those who have attended before could i ask a few questions 

I have seen the wifi isnt great, is phone signal ok ? Thinking pf getting DD a phone so we can speak to her while shes away.

Any tips for things she may need? That wouldn't be on the list necessities .

Thank you xx

6 hours ago, ButterflyBallerina said:

For those who have attended before could i ask a few questions 

I have seen the wifi isnt great, is phone signal ok ? Thinking pf getting DD a phone so we can speak to her while shes away.

Any tips for things she may need? That wouldn't be on the list necessities .

Thank you xx

Wifi and phone signal a bit hit and miss sadly I guess due to the rural location. The only 'extras' I send with my dd are her own towels (the ones provided are perfectly adequate but she just prefers her own!) If she is planning to rinse enough tights/leotards etc, an over-radiator dryer is useful (but probably not needed if going for a week). I have sent her with snacks/tuck in the past and a little bit of spending money (groups have sometimes got together to order in pizza in the evenings and there used to be an evening trip to the local designer outlet but not for the past couple of years). They all tend to wear a black leotard for the Friday presentation too. There are no shops within walking distance so plenty of supplies such as plasters, medication such as hay fever relief and ibuprofen (age dependent I guess) that might unexpectedly be needed!