YBSS application 2018

sunrise81

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A no for us for the scholarship. As expected as she is only just 9 years old, and there were so many people. We didn't apply for a place without this tear as couldn't afford. She will be sad but said she learnt some new exercises so that's all good :)

• Like 2

My DS hasn’t got a place this year. But has been offered the wait list. He’s going to be gutted when I tell him but it’s a bit of a financial relief to me as he was lucky to be offered a place for White Lodge for W1 and the The Academy of Northern Ballet for 2 weeks and I wasn’t sure I could afford another one! 

• Like 3

DD has a place for week 2 but sadly no scholarship....? I'm crossing fingers & toes that perhaps we might get super lucky for the one where someone (such as your DD Amos73....good luck with whatever prior event you have booked!) cannot go.....you never know ;)

• Like 2

Place on wk 2 for dd but sadly no scholarship. Dd very excited to be going, although has heard they are usually big classes and individuals dont get much attention. Does anyone have any knowledge of this please?  Xx

On 17/04/2018 at 17:32, Newdancermum said:

I've heard that some who went to the recent intensive have already been informed if they have a place.  DD was upset that I said she was too young to go and then she found out that dancers her age had been allowed to attend.  Does anyone know anything about their day courses and rules for attendance?  Do you have to be an exceptional dancer to attend?

Doesn't bode well for us getting a place on the summer course! :(

We do know of a few of girls that attended but all were almost of the required age (turning that age this year) at vocational school and I understand  all were of Intermediate standard or above (the requirement level) so I think this is may be why they were allowed to attend? 

I think that sometimes exceptions are made based on the criteria and the dancer. 

Good luck with obtaining a place! 

• Like 2

On 17/04/2018 at 23:30, MAK said:

I think it's probably always worth asking if you have a dd or ds slightly outside the age criteria but dancing at the required level - the worst that can happen is they say no, but you might end up with a positive response. We enquired for dd for the recent Easter Masterclass as for once we had no other dancing commitments that day. She was just under the stated minimum age. We received a very friendly and prompt response and dd was able to attend and very much enjoyed the day (and in fact the minimum age was reduced shortly before the course took place anyway).

Good luck for tomorrow! 

I’m with @Newdancermum on this one. DD saw some photos of the Easter workshop and commented on the age of those taking part and asked why I had said she was too young - admittedly I hadn’t seen that they had reduced the age or may have called to ask if she would be eligible. However I held back as this time last year I was berated by another dance Mum when I was saying that DD would be working on two grades at the one time so have been over sensitive about being seen to be pushy.  Also I hadn’t fully appreciated that we could use the suggested level in preference to the age limit.  Anyway last week I called YBSS Admin about another matter and asked about the Easter days and had a helpful conversation and in summary as you suggest @MAK call them if in any doubt. Good news is they plan to run further workshops.

• Like 4

Really good news on all fronts @junedancer 😊. Tbf the minimum age was only officially reduced to 13 and quite late in the day. Dancers were expected to be working at RAD Intermediate level or above I believe.

I'll definitely be looking out for future workshops. Dd really enjoyed being challenged (in a good way).

• Like 2

On 20/04/2018 at 00:25, TBG said:

Place on wk 2 for dd but sadly no scholarship. Dd very excited to be going, although has heard they are usually big classes and individuals dont get much attention. Does anyone have any knowledge of this please?  Xx

TBG as you've not had any feedback I'll tell you what we've been told (DD has never been) by an attendee: girls classes very large. Boys classes great. Their opinion was that if you're a paying girl you may get better value elsewhere...... But it was enjoyable. Sorry if that muddies the waters.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sarahw said:

TBG as you've not had any feedback I'll tell you what we've been told (DD has never been) by an attendee: girls classes very large. Boys classes great. Their opinion was that if you're a paying girl you may get better value elsewhere...... But it was enjoyable. Sorry if that muddies the waters.....

I agree classes are pretty big but DD has not done other courses so we have nothing to compare with, do you have any recommendations?

Sorry to say, whilst dd enjoyed YBSS when she went (3 times in total, 2 with scholarships!) she has preferred other summer schools as not enough classes,  class sizes too big and not a lot of corrections either! Don’t know what the class sizes or teachers will be like now that it has all changed. We stopped going 2 years ago! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, shygirlsmum said:

I agree classes are pretty big but DD has not done other courses so we have nothing to compare with, do you have any recommendations?

I think it partly depends on the age of the child and the reason for going. In our recent experience my dd has found Ballet West to be challenging and enjoyable and learnt a lot. This isn't suitable until around age 13 I would think. For a wider age group the West Yorkshire SS run by tutugirl was excellent. DD enjoyed junior Elmhurst SS but that was some years ago. 

Sometimes as child gets older there may be other reasons to go somewhere such as checking out potential schools for Upper School applications. 

I'm sure others can add other experiences.

I 

On 4/20/2018 at 00:25, TBG said:

Hi TBG

DD went last year. She was in the younger group then - she thought there was too much free time, although she had lots of fun in the free time, but she wanted to be dancing more (this year she would be in the next group up age-wise and they seemed to have less free time if I remember from the schedules).

She didn't mention the class sizes being too big. Other summer schools she did were similar size. She did feel she got corrections and thought some of the teachers there were outstanding and she learned a lot from them. She had great fun and made loads of friends. It is a fab opportunity for kids at vocational schools to meet kids from other vocational schools. Lots of running around on the grass in the late evening sun etc.

She got awarded a scholarship this year but unfortunately wont be able to take it up, but would still def apply in the future. I would be really interested to hear from anyone who does go, how this year's format compares, and if it has changed a lot under the new directorship.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sarahw said:

I think it partly depends on the age of the child and the reason for going. In our recent experience my dd has found Ballet West to be challenging and enjoyable and learnt a lot. This isn't suitable until around age 13 I would think. For a wider age group the West Yorkshire SS run by tutugirl was excellent. DD enjoyed junior Elmhurst SS but that was some years ago. 

Sometimes as child gets older there may be other reasons to go somewhere such as checking out potential schools for Upper School applications. 

I'm sure others can add other experiences.

I 

Thanks for the information, I don't know much about Ballet West other than I heard its in an Idyllic but remote location. 

I will take a look at both programs, DD is 14 and has just taken her RAD Intermediate exam so might suit Ballet West.

Many thanks

2 minutes ago, shygirlsmum said:

Thanks for the information, I don't know much about Ballet West other than I heard its in an Idyllic but remote location. 

I will take a look at both programs, DD is 14 and has just taken her RAD Intermediate exam so might suit Ballet West.

Many thanks

Yes shygirlsmum my dd went at the same age and level and loved it. It's a beautiful place with very kind and experienced staff. A super SS experience........

• Like 1

I went to Ballet West at 13 after only a year of dancing (needless to say I was pretty bad at that point - a girl with no turnout and weird posture who couldn't stop smiling and jumping up and down!) but I can really recommend! The place is divine - like heaven! There is a piano in the front room, a trampoline, endless places for hide and seek etc! The teachers are incredible, lots of individual corrections (even for awful me compared to the stunning dancers there!) and small class sizes. It's a long day, with ballet, contemporary, repertoire, intense body conditioning, choreography, and Pointe or boys work. I recall some advanced students were tutored on their competition solos too (one girl was rehearsing for an IBC, another boy for his vocational school assessments) But it's great fun too! I still speak to friends I made there - after the lessons we had a BBQ one day, a walk the next where we shopped in Taynuilt, picking blackberries on the way there! 

I would not not hesitate to recommend, in fact the only con I could think of would be there were no snacks available and the breakfast/lunch was the same everyday. But this was a few years ago and I have heard that that is better now! Don't hesitate to PM if you want any other info. :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, junedancer said:

What are the class sizes at the various summer schools?

I too would be interested in hearing about class sizes and what is optimal, not just for summer schools but any class, in order for DC to receive an appropriate amount of "personal" attention for corrections and comment.  Sorry I know this is going off the topic of specifically YBSS but is of relevance in terms of what is the benefit of a "good" (as in an auditioned for, pictures submitted) summer school if the class sizes are big.  After two years I still feel very new to this and would like to know I am throwing my money in the right direction.  As a relatively late starter DD is still some way behind her peers and while I know there are a few years to work on catching-up we need to know that any summer schools and intensives are providing a good opportunity for progression, as I am sure we all do when we are spending our hard earned pennies.  Okay so that should have said hundred of pounds!

• Like 2

Yes  you could reduce class sizes , but  obviously there is a cost to do so , either a greater share of the fixed costs per student  or if facilities allow  greater variable cost in bringing in suitable additional teaching staff. it;s going to be a numbers game  everytime.  

While not applicable to summer schools in particular  more of a general  observation on numbers -   how well a teacher can 'work the room'  can be  a factor , as @sophie_rebecca ( and  others ) will attest, David Kierce  can work  a room  as a teacher in an almost phenomenal way, whether that;s  30 + bodies packing into one of the studios at Central or  nearly 50 in the Stanley + Audrey Burton Theatre   (in studio mode) at Northern  - academic  for YBSS as  AFAIK David isn;t involved ...  I've never taken a Class  with Iain Mackay  , but Sophie has maybe she can comment on his ability to work a  room as  a teacher...  

• Like 1

I think it's difficult to say as it really depends on the quality and abilities of the teacher.

Based on SS and vocational school experience I think over 20 is usually difficult to supervise properly.

I too am keen on value for money!!

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, sarahw said:

I think it's difficult to say as it really depends on the quality and abilities of the teacher.

Based on SS and vocational school experience I think over 20 is usually difficult to supervise properly.

I too am keen on value for money!!

Absolutely  and other than  'company class'    of a morning    i'd   suggest  that is a sensible number  (  for company class  one teacher leading class  assisted other teachers spotting and  correcting  their  groups  )

My DD is going to YBSS for the first time this year. She’s currently in year 9 so I guess she’ll end up in the middle group? Anyway the time might be better organised for the youngest group this year and maybe classes won’t be that big? There is already one difference  under the new management- we are all to receive a welcome pack after we pay the deposit. I know that this is new. 

• Like 5

On 24/04/2018 at 20:32, junedancer said:

What are the class sizes at the various summer schools?

So to answer my own question - well not really but an analogous one - over a glass or two this evening DD's friend's Mum and I have done some research on summer schools.  We don't have class sizes but have worked out some figures on the daily costs of around 10 courses, in some cases residential and non-residential.  The range is from a start of £58 a day for non-residential to a top cost of £153 for residential.  Within this the non-residential goes from the £58 to £106 and residential from £103 to the £158.  However if you take into account NYB this goes down to £85 for residential but from what we have read there are other costs to factor in with NYB.  We have done our best to take account of those courses which run shorter days but as our joint knowledge is limited (even taking into account our avid reading of balletcoforum :rolleyes: ) and please do bear in mind the Image result for wine emoticon this is all just a rough guide.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, junedancer said:

So to answer my own question - well not really but an analogous one - over a glass or two this evening DD's friend's Mum and I have done some research on summer schools.  We don't have class sizes but have worked out some figures on the daily costs of around 10 courses, in some cases residential and non-residential.  The range is from a start of £58 a day for non-residential to a top cost of £153 for residential.  Within this the non-residential goes from the £58 to £106 and residential from £103 to the £158.  However if you take into account NYB this goes down to £85 for residential but from what we have read there are other costs to factor in with NYB.  We have done our best to take account of those courses which run shorter days but as our joint knowledge is limited (even taking into account our avid reading of balletcoforum :rolleyes: ) and please do bear in mind the Image result for wine emoticon this is all just a rough guide.

and that  bears out   with similar costs for adult intensives  to the none  residential intensives ...( certainly those in the Midlands and North based on the prices  advertised  by  KNT and  The Ballet Retreat )

On 24/04/2018 at 10:22, amos73 said:

Hi TBG

DD went last year. She was in the younger group then - she thought there was too much free time, although she had lots of fun in the free time, but she wanted to be dancing more (this year she would be in the next group up age-wise and they seemed to have less free time if I remember from the schedules).

She didn't mention the class sizes being too big. Other summer schools she did were similar size. She did feel she got corrections and thought some of the teachers there were outstanding and she learned a lot from them. She had great fun and made loads of friends. It is a fab opportunity for kids at vocational schools to meet kids from other vocational schools. Lots of running around on the grass in the late evening sun etc.

She got awarded a scholarship this year but unfortunately wont be able to take it up, but would still def apply in the future. I would be really interested to hear from anyone who does go, how this year's format compares, and if it has changed a lot under the new directorship.

Hope this helps.

Thank you amos73, that is really helpful. What age/yr group do they go up from younger group to next age group. My dd is yr 8. As much as i want value for money, it should also be about having fun and in a more relaxed environment than being at school. It is a great opportunity to meet new (and old ) friends, and to share experiences.These are their holidays and dd would go mad if she couldnt dance. Having said that, dd will be expecting corrections. We will just have to wait and see how it compares to others. 

Xx

• Like 1

Hi TBG -

DD is y8 now so last year in y7 she was one of the oldest in the younger group, I think it must go from y5-y7 in that group.

Y8 would be in the next group up.

DD had loads of fun and did get plenty of corrections. She thought some of the teachers were outstanding.

• Like 2

Just booked DD on to the Leeds Junior class. She won't be 10.....a couple of months off. Emailed them and said absolutely fine for her to go :) She is excited already as she loved the audition class she experienced. 

• Like 1

Junedancer 

I think my summer school affords better value than the ones quoted !

Less than £40 a day .

Class sizes capped at 16 but usually 12 or less.

Thank you Sarahw and those who have written testimonies .

Two weeks this year by popular request and a production of Swan Lake in a theatre .

Plus a lot of fun !!!

• Like 4