sunrise81

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what it says on their scholarship web page: 

https://www.ybss.co.uk/london-scholarship-applications

Students wishing to be considered for a place on the summer school notwithstanding the outcome of the scholarship audition must also complete a summer school application form before attending the audition.

Looks like you need to complete both forms.

Edited by Newdancermum

1 hour ago, amos73 said:

They said to me if you want to apply regardless of whether they get scholarship do both, if only interested in scholarship place then just that application 

Thanks amos73 most helpful - I just wish their instructions were.  At least this year's new on-line system makes everything easier.

I assume that if you didn't get a scholarship and then decide you still want to go you can submit the application form and photos?

53 minutes ago, Newdancermum said:

Thanks amos73 most helpful - I just wish their instructions were.  At least this year's new on-line system makes everything easier.

I assume that if you didn't get a scholarship and then decide you still want to go you can submit the application form and photos?

I wasn't sure about that. The woman from the office just said to me if you want to be considered for both send in both before the 11th March audition. Which I took to mean you needed to do that before if so.

I would email her direct or call, she seems very helpful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been reading the admissions standards and it's says at least grade 4 for students 9-12years. Mmmmm no point in my grade 3 9 year old trying then :( Ooopsy she will be sad, but that's what happens when she's only been dancing two years! 

Edited by sunrise81

11 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

I have just been reading the admissions standards and it's says at least grade 4 for students 9-12years. Mmmmm no point in my grade 3 9 year old trying then :( Ooopsy she will be sad, but that's what happens when she's only been dancing two years! 

I think the grades are usually just a guideline as a lot of applicants (especially those aged 11+) don't do grades as part of their training. It may be that your daughter is grade 4 standard even if she is not in grade 4 classes yet. To be honest, competition is fierce for ybss, so chances are not great for most of us, but it's always worth a try! You just have to make sure your dd understands that it's a long shot! 🍀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Uh oh...another application deadline missed.....bad ballet mum strikes out again :(

I don't think the deadline has passed yet? Scholarship auditions for London are this Sunday (11th) and Leeds 18th March so forms would have to be in quickly for those. The summer school application deadline is 6th April according to the website.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/03/2018 at 19:53, Dancermum2003 said:

Does anyone know how the scholarship results work? Do they wait for all auditions and then send the results? 

Last year they sent out the no’s a few days after the audition but waited to send out the yes e mail until they had seen the ones who auditioned at York also.  I think it may be different this year as I don’t know anyone that’s heard at all.

Well, we were on track - miraculously - to get to the Leeds audition.....only for the weather to have it cancelled!! Super disappointed DD....super frustrated mum....time/cost involved was always a big issue....& now the worry that it will require this all over again to ensure kids get their chance. Just hope there will be plenty of notice of the date & that it works out for everyone who was going as with Easter break soon upon us with holidays & many no doubt booked on dance courses also, could be tricky! Guess it's just one of those c'est la vie moments....& at least it did mean we got to have a nice night away & luckily for cheap accommodation, had stayed far enough away from the Leeds area to not get into snow troubles with our journey! I do hope all stayed safe on the roads & that we all make it second time around!

Thank you for your message Jan & commiserations you ended up with an unplanned for expenditure to stay over...hope you had a nice hotel stay anyhow!

Just hope we get date through with plenty of notice to make the planning as stress-free as possible....I dare say it's not going to be easy for YBSS to re-schedule either with booking studios, pianists, travel/accommodation etc for panel & indeed their availability too so let's hope it's not too much of a headache for their admin & everyone all round!

checking email now....do hope the date suits most people as hopefully being right at end of hols people will be back if they've been away....it's going to mean a bit of juggling of timings & working out sibling/dog etc but should just about manage to get DD there! ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard that some who went to the recent intensive have already been informed if they have a place.  DD was upset that I said she was too young to go and then she found out that dancers her age had been allowed to attend.  Does anyone know anything about their day courses and rules for attendance?  Do you have to be an exceptional dancer to attend?

Doesn't bode well for us getting a place on the summer course! :(

Edited by Newdancermum

On 30/01/2018 at 22:29, Nicola H said:

absolutely no  reason why  not , depends on the glandular fortitude of the school's SLT/SMT  in doing so 

Yes, our secondary school (Devon) would authorise as educated off site.

5 hours ago, Newdancermum said:

I've heard that some who went to the recent intensive have already been informed if they have a place.  DD was upset that I said she was too young to go and then she found out that dancers her age had been allowed to attend.  Does anyone know anything about their day courses and rules for attendance?  Do you have to be an exceptional dancer to attend?

Doesn't bode well for us getting a place on the summer course! :(

I think it's probably always worth asking if you have a dd or ds slightly outside the age criteria but dancing at the required level - the worst that can happen is they say no, but you might end up with a positive response. We enquired for dd for the recent Easter Masterclass as for once we had no other dancing commitments that day. She was just under the stated minimum age. We received a very friendly and prompt response and dd was able to attend and very much enjoyed the day (and in fact the minimum age was reduced shortly before the course took place anyway).

Good luck for tomorrow! 

• Like 1