YBSS application 2018

sunrise81

Hi

My dd wants to do a summer school this year as she finds it a long time to not dance "properly" as she calls it, over the summer. I have a couple of questions. It is local to us so she would be a day student, as well as she is only 9 years  old.....would she miss out on anything in the evening if she didn't board? Finally it's over two weeks but we can only do the second week as the first week is still school term for us. Again will she miss  out on anything from the first week? 

Thanks everyone!!! 

Edited as I don't know the order of the months of the year!!!!!!! 

Edited by sunrise81

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you thought about the summer school run by York Ballet Scholars? I think they are now called Yorkshire Dance? Their summer school is in early august, and is in Escrick, which isn't far from Askham Bryan. DD attended their summer school a couple of years ago, and had a great time. She was boarding, but some students didn't. I think they could stay for evening events if arranged in advance.

you don't need to audition either!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pixiewoo said:

Have you thought about the summer school run by York Ballet Scholars? I think they are now called Yorkshire Dance? Their summer school is in early august, and is in Escrick, which isn't far from Askham Bryan. DD attended their summer school a couple of years ago, and had a great time. She was boarding, but some students didn't. I think they could stay for evening events if arranged in advance.

you don't need to audition either!

Just had a look and the dates are the same as her dance schools summer school. Shame as it looks good......shall keep in mind for next year! Ooohhh it's a whole new world is this summer school business! 

1 hour ago, sunrise81 said:

Just had a look and the dates are the same as her dance schools summer school. Shame as it looks good......shall keep in mind for next year! Ooohhh it's a whole new world is this summer school business! 

Tell me about it! 

Last year we moved our family holiday to allow DD to do a summer school! This year I'm struggling to find one for DD to attend as they are all at the start of the school holidays, and she is away with school! I'm starting to keep a spreadsheet of what is when and where, so that next year I know when to try and keep free! (Although I suspect she'll be away on another school music tour!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

I guess a lot of the summer schools are difficult to get places on, but since it's the only one that is any where near us and offers day options, we are going to have a go :)

Absolutely! We’ll be having a go too! I just meant that she won’t be 'missing out’ by only doing 1 week because most of them probably only get to do 1 week anyway :) 

Edited by BlueLou
  • Like 2

I have to say I find it a little irritating that YBSS continues to have the first week of its summer school when the vast majority of state schools at least will not have finished for the summer term!! It may be right at the end of term but I don't see why pupils should be expected to forgo the last week especially as some may be leaving for good and may want to stay on for that last week.

Also perhaps they could look at what else is going on in York.

Last year because the first weekend coincided with the York races and a big graduating ceremony weekend the prices of local Band B's were about three times the usual weekend amount and more!! 

Having expressed all that moan it is a very good summer school and if not boarding would not miss that much in the way of Dance though there are some activities like the coaching evening that you can watch which are well worth going back for. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Tiaramum said:

I've been looking at this one too, but like many others one of the weeks is when we are still at school - does anyone know where we stand on this? Can a headteacher authorise this as educated off site?

absolutely no  reason why  not , depends on the glandular fortitude of the school's SLT/SMT  in doing so 

• Like 2

I would have thought a head teacher could authorise something like this .....especially as right at end of summer term etc ....but some age groups might want to stay on at school for their last week together in school!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I would have thought a head teacher could authorise something like this .....especially as right at end of summer term etc ....but some age groups might want to stay on at school for their last week together in school!!

it;s all about the glandular fortitude of  the  SLT, i.e. whether they have the wherewithal to stand firm against  those  who  become abusive when  they are told ' cos we can get it cheaper'  is not a reason to  authorise an absence  , when  they do authorisae an absence for an activity being taught  by  actual professionals in that activity   and which has definite  educational value ... 

• Like 1

Sorry Nicola maybe it's this terrible cold I've had for a week now and can't seem to shake off but I cannot understand your last post!!

Could you say again a bit more simply....for the "nearly flu "ridden like me!!

39 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Sorry Nicola maybe it's this terrible cold I've had for a week now and can't seem to shake off but I cannot understand your last post!!

Could you say again a bit more simply....for the "nearly flu "ridden like me!!

People want to take their kids out of school earlier or come back later to save money on holidays... often misquoting  the rules over the discretion of Headteachers to permit / authorise absences. 

Some schools with  weak leadership avoid these debates and discussions by having a blanket we only count sickness absence as authorised ( in some cases illegally requesting fit notes ) ... 

Rather than displaying  some glandular fortitude   and making a call based in defensible common sense.

• Like 1

That's terrific Nicola have got it now!! Sorry to be so dense this morning.

Yes it does seem that a Headteacher should have and be able to operate some discretion without resorting to blanket rules etc  about when to allow a child the time off legitimatically( spelling looks wrong!) ......as in attending an intensive training in a ballet summer school...as opposed to going off an summer holiday a week early ( though do have some sympathy with parents here) 

I think the YBSS is a wonderful experience for any child really keen on ballet.

Perhaps if a Head wasn't sure he could ask them to produce a small piece of writing ...or diary on how the week went for them etc .....not that the other children at school would be doing that much in the way of writing in the last week of the summer term of course!! 

When we once had issues with authorised absence, I pointed out to the school that they had found no difficulty that year in authorising a school group skiing holiday, a cricket tour, and had allowed at least two other students to have considerable time off to compete in their chosen sports. All during term time. 

They reconsidered our request:D

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

And so DD has now decided that she wants to have a go at YBSS.....last week of term won't hurt missing. I told she would have to go residential.....i think her JA trip to Covent Garden has inspired her!!! I also told her she was only going if she got a scholarship as I had already paid for another summer school!! Tough Mummy love! I think she secretly wants to have a nosey around Northern Ballet too! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happymum said:

The London auditions will be held at English National Ballet (Markova) building. Is there parking available? We will be traveling to London by car and not sure how close we can park and if there is a "drop off" near the entrance? 

I doubt there will be parking at ENB as Jay Mews is very small and on a narrow street.  It's near the Royal Albert Hall though so there may be on-street parking nearby or even just across the road in Hyde Park:  

Markova House
39 Jay Mews, Kensington, London SW7 2ES
https://goo.gl/maps/rF46zoY8qdv

If I have read it right......if you only want to go of you get a scholarship then you just do that form. 

But......if you want to be considered a place if you don't get a scholarship you need to fill in that form with the photos. 

I think that's right from what it says?! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dancermum2003 said:

I’m not sure I’ve got this right but do you just apply for an scholarship audition and then turn up? Or do you need to complete the application form too? Thanks 

You have to complete both forms. I did one and got an email from them asking for the other one too. X

• Like 1