What warm-ups / extras do the cool tweens wear?

Confuddled

Dd was very nervous about starting a new class earlier this week, and it turns out that she feels the odd one out turning up in her standard home clothes (usually a long sleeved dress, as it's easy to take off and she can wear tights and leotard underneath). Apparently all (I'm taking 'all' with a pinch of salt) of the other girls have Sansha dancewear.

She does have the Bloch booties but rarely has a chance to wear them as we walk almost everywhere and they're not suitable for walking outdoors. I think the girls who turn up in those must come by car (and have some parents with miracle parking skills, or else a high tolerance for paying parking tickets!).

Can anyone suggest one or two pieces of clothing which I could get her to make her fit in a bit better? It can't be anything tight on the legs as she hates the feeling of  leggings over ballet tights.

I've asked her to have a look and suggest some things, but she seems overwhelmed, other than saying that the brand is important.

• Like 1

A fleece unitard? There is a Sancha one called 'gaby', its two-tone camisole style and comes in lots of different colour combos. Even better its relatively inexpensive and is easy to wash.

and while  not  'cool  tweens'   this also  sounds very much like   the stuff that both TBR  adults  (  i hesitate to call us grown ups )  and bot hthe CAT  and Renaissance scholars   tweens and teens  were wearign  last weekend  in the public spaces at Northern  ... 

• Like 3

Bloch, Sansha & intermezzo all do lovely warm ups that are reasonably priced. Dd has a few different ones but her favourite at the moment are the gaynor minden microtech pants  that she got for Christmas over a pair of long leg warmers paired with a knitted shrug or warm up jumper. Usually she has a hoodie over the top of that. She loves layers that she can peel off as she warms up. Move dancewear usually have a good selection of warm ups at good prices 

• Like 4

You don’t have to stick to dance shops or traditional dance brands for warm-ups. Dd likes to wear joggers from Pink (Victoria’s Secret) or Hollister, and Ivy Park clothes from Top Shop (hoodies, joggers, shorts, crop tops etc ……). 

Edited by BlueLou
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, mnemo said:

A fleece unitard? There is a Sancha one called 'gaby', its two-tone camisole style and comes in lots of different colour combos. Even better its relatively inexpensive and is easy to wash.

Aha, and it's on sale, too! The sizing chart looks a bit odd - it has 130cm for the 10-12 year old one, when most street clothes are 130cm for an 8 year old. Does it really come up that small? 

Thanks, all! That's given me a lot of ideas of the sort of thing to look for.

Those child sizes do look strange! I have only ever bought from the adult range for my dd since she was 14 or so as the colour choices are better. The adult sizes correspond to leotard sizes so easier to navigate. My dd isn't v tall (160cm) and the length is OK for her.

17 hours ago, Confuddled said:

Aha, and it's on sale, too! The sizing chart looks a bit odd - it has 130cm for the 10-12 year old one, when most street clothes are 130cm for an 8 year old. Does it really come up that small? 

Thanks, all! That's given me a lot of ideas of the sort of thing to look for.

Were you looking at the Sansha website? I thought they were on sale and was going to buy one last week. By the time I was ready to checkout all these extras had been added on and it came to over £22 :wacko:

30 minutes ago, Tatasmum said:

Were you looking at the Sansha website? I thought they were on sale and was going to buy one last week. By the time I was ready to checkout all these extras had been added on and it came to over £22 :wacko:

Yes, I checked out and then realised they hadn't used the discounted price advertised on their website but the full one, had charged me a hefty P&P fee, plus a handling fee for an under £25 order (which it wasn't) and added tax (which isn't chargeable on kids clothes). I should have noticed but was trying to oversee bathtime at the same time. I'm going to ring them on Monday - it should have come to about a third less than they charged me!

Edited by Confuddled
Typos
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Confuddled said:

Yes, I checked out and then realised they hadn't used the discounted price advertised on their website but the full one, had charged me a hefty P&P fee, plus a handling fee for an under £25 order (which it wasn't) and added tax (which isn't chargeable on kids clothes). I should have noticed but was trying to oversee bathtime at the same time. I'm going to ring them on Monday - it should have come to about a third less than they charged me!

Ouch! Always worth a look at the discounters and on ebay (ebay usually free p+p as well). I saw one on there for £19.

On 13/01/2018 at 17:53, BlueLou said:

You don’t have to stick to dance shops or traditional dance brands for warm-ups. Dd likes to wear joggers from Pink (Victoria’s Secret) or Hollister, and Ivy Park clothes from Top Shop (hoodies, joggers, shorts, crop tops etc ……). 

True....but you have to be brave to venture into Hollister! I'm never sure whether I'm entering a shop, a nightclub or a perfume factory. Actually I think it's a very clever ruse to get disorientated parents to agree to buy almost anything in order to be able to get out quickly. Not to mention that you don't know what you've spent til you get to the till -  can't actually read the outrageous prices as they are printed in a tiny font and it's  virtually pitch black in there. Or maybe I'm just getting old....

• Like 7

The Black all in one "Andy Pandy suits" are very popular. I'm not sure of the official name. Found on most online dancerwear retailers. Wide straps made out of t-shirt cotton fabric. One size generally fits many age groups, hems can be rolled up for a more accurate fitting, as there is no elastic cuffs. Baggy in style so no issues when worn over tights. The bodice can be rolled down to around the waist which is 'cool'. Just remember to wash first before wearing as they can leave a small amount of fluff on the tights on the first outing. Hoodies can be worn over or t-shirts under. Very flexible/adaptable item to have in the wardrobe/ballet-bag. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pups_mum said:

True....but you have to be brave to venture into Hollister! I'm never sure whether I'm entering a shop, a nightclub or a perfume factory. Actually I think it's a very clever ruse to get disorientated parents to agree to buy almost anything in order to be able to get out quickly. Not to mention that you don't know what you've spent til you get to the till -  can't actually read the outrageous prices as they are printed in a tiny font and it's  virtually pitch black in there. Or maybe I'm just getting old....

Haha! I have suffered the indignity of bumping into stuff in the darkness! Now I go online - can see everything clearly and there always seem to be good offers 😉

• Like 1

My dd is tiny and was desperate for a pair of wool warm up trousers. She finally found a pair on move dancewear a few months back and wears them all the time now. She alternates between these and a pair of yoga pant/leggings we found for a bargain price in tk max. She's got a wardrobe full of vest tops and hoodies to wear on top of her leotards. Managed to find few pieces of ivy park stuff in her size but she's patiently waiting until she fits into the pink range from Victoria secret (we did try some last week after Elmhurst audition but still far too big for now).

The warm up booties have to have been our best ever buy, they are worn to death now (She does  wear from the car to studio but I can drop her right at the door). 

• Like 2

Ivy Park, TK Maxx and some very astute monitoring of the Dancewear Retails websites waiting for the sales - that is basically DD's daily attire.

Definitely keep an eye on the Sale sections of all the websites as there are some fantastic bargains to be found there - especially if you're buying for a XS or size 4 (makes me so jealous).  I picked up an amazing Bloch hoodie in the sales pre-Christmas for £25 that had previously been over £70.  DD loves it and wears it all the time and I look like super generous mum who bought her loads of pressies!

One piece of advise I'd give too before you start buying all sorts of warm up clothes is to check if she's a 'black' or 'blue' base girl - my DD is very definitely a lover of 'black' so no navy items otherwise they'll clash.  She will wear all sorts of very bizarre colour combinations - the multi coloured striped knitted warm up is a favourite - but they are all backed up with a 'black' base item.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ballettaxi said:

Ivy Park, TK Maxx and some very astute monitoring of the Dancewear Retails websites waiting for the sales - that is basically DD's daily attire.

Definitely keep an eye on the Sale sections of all the websites as there are some fantastic bargains to be found there - especially if you're buying for a XS or size 4 (makes me so jealous).  I picked up an amazing Bloch hoodie in the sales pre-Christmas for £25 that had previously been over £70.  DD loves it and wears it all the time and I look like super generous mum who bought her loads of pressies!

One piece of advise I'd give too before you start buying all sorts of warm up clothes is to check if she's a 'black' or 'blue' base girl - my DD is very definitely a lover of 'black' so no navy items otherwise they'll clash.  She will wear all sorts of very bizarre colour combinations - the multi coloured striped knitted warm up is a favourite - but they are all backed up with a 'black' base item.

I hadn't thought of buy XS or size 4 - have you got any idea what that equates to in children's sizes or heights?  It's a good thought but she may still be too small. 

I'm not sure if she knows about being a black or blue base yet. Although she has strong preferences for colours in clothes, they're mostly of the 'not pink' variety.

@Confuddled my dd is 11 but currently wears age 8-9yrs and a leotard size 2. She's got a few ivy park pieces in a xxs they do some Capri leggings which are more like full length on her and they were reduced in the sale. 

Leotard wise some of the xs ladies or petite are worth trying as some are tiny. I'd never thought my dd would fit in them until my local dance shop said to as the fittings vary for each style. 

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:27, BlueLou said:

Haha! I have suffered the indignity of bumping into stuff in the darkness! Now I go online - can see everything clearly and there always seem to be good offers 😉

DD had a friend whose father would accompany her into Hollister wearing a head torch which I thought was really funny and no doubt she thought was mortifying! My DD started to boycott them when she heard about their staff policy so I have been spared too many sojourns into the black pit...

Fortunately DS has gone full circle with warm ups and in his last trip home took himself off to Decathlon (we have a new one in Brighton Huzzah) for trackie bottoms of the most generic variety. On the other hand his actual dancewear (now he's out of uniform) includes a flesh tone unitard which to my eye is possibly the nastiest item of clothing I can imagine (though perhaps because I am imagining myself in it with a shudder)....

Warm up booties have been replaced with fitflop suede slouch boots as they have a proper sole and really good support so are more versatile when he has to traipse around the theatre from studio to studio for different rehearsals (the Bolshoi certainly lives up to its name)..

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, CeliB said:

DD had a friend whose father would accompany her into Hollister wearing a head torch which I thought was really funny and no doubt she thought was mortifying! 

I shall store that for future use.

• Like 5

Confuddled I'm not sure what size these relate to in Childrens clothing, but DD has just turned 18, is 5' 1" in height and still wears age 11-12 leggings (when we can find any she likes in Tesco etc when she is home).  Not sure if this helps or not.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Ivy Park?  Can someone enlighten me please. New one on me. Thanks. 🤔

in relation to  clothing ?

a company  which  Beyonce   is an investor  and has  had some creative input ...