Vienna New Year ballet - available till end of January on BBC iPlayer

No idea if this link will work outside German-speaking countries - hope it does - but I post it anyway as there are only a few hours left to watch the Viennese ballet do two numbers in this year's New Year concert:

http://tvthek.orf.at/profile/Neujahrskonzert-der-Wiener-Philharmoniker-2018/13886723/Neujahrskonzert-der-Wiener-Philharmoniker-2018/13958145

The sections begin at 21 and 59 minutes into this second half respectively, and are, depending on your point of view, either lovely, hilarious, camp or some uniquely Viennese mixture. My main reaction is amazement: I remember the televised New Year concerts from Vienna having ballet sections exactly like this over 40 years ago (but *exactly* like this, which is what one might call tradition). The only difference is that 40 years ago they couldn't dance very well, for reasons I have discussed in other posts. 

In any case it is great to see Muti conducting (how long is it since he last came to Covent Garden?) Enjoy this while it lasts, if you can make the link work that is. Everyone involved is credited at the end.

Edited by Geoff

I don't think the link works outside Austria but the concert as broadcast on BBC4 is available on BBC iPlayer for the rest of January.

I still recall Riccardo Muti's brilliant conducting of Macbeth at the Royal Opera House in the early 1980s - and the witches cauldron/silver salver catching the spotlight and blinding the amphitheatre audience.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2018 at 21:08, JohnS said:

the concert as broadcast on BBC4 is available on BBC iPlayer for the rest of January.

Many thanks. And in which case, maybe an admin could change the heading to "end of January" or such like?

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Vienna New Year ballet - available till end of January on BBC iPlayer