Royal Ballet - 2018/19 new season wish list

I find it exciting having the new season's plans announced in one big announcement. And like any other organisation, it does benefit them (and I think us, in fact) to be able to present the plans in their perceived context rather than them dribbling out in isolation.

• Like 5

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

“Why the urge to know?”....because I’d rather know sooner than later, make plans, look forward!

So having the announcement in March 2018 for a season extending from September 2018 to July 2019 is insufficient notice?

In any case, planning is difficult without specific dates and casting.

I will offer a wish list but the leaks have rather spoilt the fun.

My wish list as follows (and reflecting some of the choices already posted):-

Onegin

La Bayadere

The Sleeping Beauty (an essential for mastering and nurturing pure classic technique - needs to be rehearsed and performed to the highest standards!!)

Revival of Madame's ballets - Checkmate or The Rake's Progress

Cinderella - only if the Ugly Sisters' roles could be revamped and with really good sets and costumes - currently they are dreary and old fashioned

Diaghilev Homage - The Firebird, Petrushka (wonderful dramatic role for central male - Ed Watson please!!!), Les Biches to name a few

Robbins Centenary - Dances At A Gathering, Afternoon of a Faun, The Concert 

Ashton  - Agree with JMHopton's Xmas double bill of Les Patineurs/The Two Pigeons (could also be billed with Raymonda Act III) - please give The Nutcracker a "rest"'; also Enigma Variations and Symphonic Variations

MacMillan - Anastasia (has its flaws but wonderful music and great role for central female), Requiem, My Brother, My Sisters, La Fin du Jour

I would also wish for principal casting to be available at the same time as dates for each booking period is announced - always has been until last couple of seasons - the company knows what talent they have and who they wish to cast!!! It makes it so much easier to book for those dancers you really do want to see/debuts etc (yes, I know there is always the risk of a dancer being injured).  

My feeling is that this is simply a "wish list" and probably none of the above are scheduled for next season but no harm in dreaming!!!

Edited by fashionista
  • Like 4

I’d been thinking about a wish list season for a while, fun to see everyone else’s too! 

Ideally I’d love to see any of these included next season:

La Bayadere

The Concert

Cinderella 

Ondine

La Sylphide

Les Patineurs

And although they have been on relatively recently, I don’t think I could ever get tired of The Two Pigeons, Afternoon of a Faun, After The Rain, Symphonic Variations, Onegin, La Fille Mal Gardee or Mayerling!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, capybara said:

So having the announcement in March 2018 for a season extending from September 2018 to July 2019 is insufficient notice?

In any case, planning is difficult without specific dates and casting.

I will offer a wish list but the leaks have rather spoilt the fun.

I agree that the big announcement is fun (I get as excited about it as I did about unwrapping Christmas presents as a child), but when you are short of time and budget and need to factor in considerable travel costs, the RB and RO announcements do come rather later than is optimally helpful (they're almost the last of the major Western companies to announce plans).

If I were keen to see a particular ballet for the first time and Company X have announced they'll be dancing it in September at a theatre which would necessitate an overnighter for me, I could well have made all the arrangements to see it by the time that the RB had said they were scheduling it for the same season. That's OK if I like the ballet enough to see it again, but doubly annoying if I dislike it. Or say I'd concluded that my only chance of seeing an obscure bit of the operatic repertoire was at Glyndebourne this summer: by the time the RO had announced that they too would be staging it, I'd have booked my expensive ticket and accommodation by then, for fear of only the most extortionate of both still being available by April.

As a real life example of the kind of thing I'm talking about: not RB but I had a narrow escape this year when by sheer luck I didn't get round to booking for the ENB R&J at the Royal Festival Hall before they announced quite late on that they were bringing it to Bristol in November, which was 1) much cheaper to get to and more convenient for me, and 2) a much more suitable stage for ballet.

In short I'd be quite happy with the secrecy if only they'd get a move on with announcing!

• Like 3

I'd like lots and lots of triple bills, packed with challenging choreography and with enough shows to allow a junior second or third cast to be shown.

Also I really wish they'd think about different ways to present triple bills - I very much enjoyed the way Kim Brandstrup's Invitus Invitam was linked to the preceding work and it would be interesting to see the concept taken further. (It would also be nice to see some of Brandstrup's works revived.)

And as I said last year, I'd love to see Balanchine's Donizetti Variations for Sambe (and others) - how can they resist?

• Like 7

Without passing any comment on ninamargaret's post, I am intrigued to know what ballets might complement the Ring.  I too have tickets for the Ring and am wondering whether to make four separate trips from Cumbria or see whether one or two trips might be extended and combined.  For my part, and without much thought, I'd plump for Fille.  I await with great interest the full Royal Opera House programme which I'm sure will provide many delights.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

Without passing any comment on ninamargaret's post, I am intrigued to know what ballets might complement the Ring.

Didn't KOH say something a few seasons ago about the only ballets they could put on during the Ring being R&J and Swan Lake?

Edit: Okay, just checked the Ballet Association report and it says there are 3.  I think I'm right about the two I've named, but am not certain.

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

Without passing any comment on ninamargaret's post, I am intrigued to know what ballets might complement the Ring.  I too have tickets for the Ring and am wondering whether to make four separate trips from Cumbria or see whether one or two trips might be extended and combined.  For my part, and without much thought, I'd plump for Fille.  I await with great interest the full Royal Opera House programme which I'm sure will provide many delights.

well, I suppose Lise could be seen as a disobedient daughter, like Brunhilde! Swan Lake would seem to be suitable, with Von Rothbart standing in as a sort of combination of Fafner and Alberich. And the wind machines from The Wind could be useful for Valkyrie.

• Like 2

My wish list would probably be boringly more or less the same for each year.....and too many ballets for one season anyway. There are some ballets like Giselle, R and J and quite a few Ashton ones that I'm always up for and have all been mentioned here already. ( except Sylvia .....somewhat strangely for me I did not take to this ballet recently inspite of a couple of really interesting and tricky pas de deux) 

But as there is a Robbins anniversary coming up I would love to see Dances at a Gathering again and some works of Robbins that the Royal has not done before .....don't mind which as I will never have seen them!!

Not quite on topic but I would really like some choreographer to create something to Beethoven's Spring sonata for violin and piano....I think it's no.5 in F .....its just so danceable and although I've searched cannot find a ballet company who has a piece to this music.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JohnS said:

I'd like to see Frankenstein given a second run, particularly if Liam Scarlett has an opportunity for some reworking.  I recognise this is unlikely to gain much support as I do appreciate that many people might put Frankenstein on their list of ballets not to be performed - it's good that the Forum doesn't show 'dislikes' as well as 'likes'!

I agree with Frankenstein. It has so much potential,

14 hours ago, Anna C said:

Oops - forgot to add Afternoon of a Faun as I've never managed to see it at the ROH. 

They have it on DVD on their site. Its with a mixed program of Viscera / Afternoon of a Faun / Tchaikovsky Pas de deux / Carmen.

A couple years ago the Australian Ballet did a ballet called "Nijinsky" which is obvious what it was about. The reviews sounded so positive and the RB has so many great dancers that it would probably be a fun challenge for them and for us to watch.

• Like 1

So obviously I’ve been greedy but this is a wish list right?!

Full lengths:

Cinderella

Frankenstein 

Onegin/ Mayerling (personally I would rather an extra evening of new work but realise this is not necessarily realistic) 

Sleeping Beauty 

La Bayadere 

Tripples:

Scene de Ballet/ Polyphonia/ Daphnis and Chloe

Dances at a Gathering/ Illuminations/ Firebird 

Tombeaux/ New work/ Fearful Symmetries

Les Rendezvous/ Flight Pattern/ Symphony in C (or Ballet Imperial)

Monotones (or Apollo)/ Infra/ The Concert

The Rake’s Progress/ New work/ Requiem

Les Patineurs/ Pultchinella/ Raymonda Act 3

• Like 6

Reading through the suggestions here, I'm nodding in agreement. At the risk of being repetitive, here's my, very much abridged, wish list.

Onegin (and to get permission from the Cranko estate, or whoever, for a cinema broadcast!)

Dances at a Gathering (there couldn't be a better time to revive this with the strength of both male and female dancers )

Petrushka- (just for the music and sumptuous costumes and set designs alone. Ed Watson as Petrushka!)

Serenade ( Could it be part of a bill that included Petrushka?) 

Cinderella (London is overrun with Nutcrackers!)

More Ashton( definitely to include Monotones 1&2)

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ianlond said:

So obviously I’ve been greedy but this is a wish list right?!

Full lengths:

Cinderella

Frankenstein 

Onegin/ Mayerling (personally I would rather an extra evening of new work but realise this is not necessarily realistic) 

Sleeping Beauty 

La Bayadere 

Tripples:

Scene de Ballet/ Polyphonia/ Daphnis and Chloe

Dances at a Gathering/ Illuminations/ Firebird 

Tombeaux/ New work/ Fearful Symmetries

Les Rendezvous/ Flight Pattern/ Symphony in C (or Ballet Imperial)

Monotones (or Apollo)/ Infra/ The Concert

The Rake’s Progress/ New work/ Requiem

Les Patineurs/ Pultchinella/ Raymonda Act 3

I'll come to those triples!!!!

• Like 1

2018 is the 80th anniversary of Rudolf Nureyev's birth, but I am sure it will be overlooked.  Even more importantly for the RB 2019 is Fonteyn's centenary, but will that be forgotten too?

In an ideal world we would be remembering Nureyev with a revival of Raymonda Act III and his Kingdom of the Shades from Bayadere, the pas de trois from Images of Love and the Friday pas de deux from Jazz Calendar, also Side Show, though not sure if anyone suitable to dance it.  The RB has also danced Bejart's Songs of a Wayfarer before so no reason not to dance it again.

For Fonteyn in 2019 a revival of Daphnis and Chloe and Sleeping Beauty, preferable a new production.  A lot of choices for other works as she created so many.

Finally a lasting tribute to both of them.  Ditch Marguerite and Armand and never allow it to be seen anywhere ever again

• Like 8

10 hours ago, alison said:

Didn't KOH say something a few seasons ago about the only ballets they could put on during the Ring being R&J and Swan Lake?

Edit: Okay, just checked the Ballet Association report and it says there are 3.  I think I'm right about the two I've named, but am not certain.

I don't know what KOH said, but I do clearly remember that the last ROH Ring, in autumn 2012, coincided with Swan Lake.

I really love Songs of a Wayfarer would love to see this again and more Bejart pieces.

Fonteyn was also much associated with Ondine ....am not sure how this ballet would stand up for a revival but possible. I think Hayward could be good in this role. 

Has the Royal ever done a full length  Corsaire? I know not the most serious of ballets but some nice wallowy music and used to love Nureyev in this ....but only seen him in the famous pas de deux from it. I know ENB have it in their Rep ....and loved that but wouldn't mind a rival production!! 

• Like 2

Just now, LinMM said:

Fonteyn was also much associated with Ondine ....am not sure how this ballet would stand up for a revival but possible. I think Hayward could be good in this role. 

Yes, Ondine not been done for a good while now. There are parts of that ballet i like a lot - but whenever Ondine not on stage, it looks like make-do filler or worse. I mean, those hunstsmen at the start couldn't take out a rabbit with a death wish. Would be a lovely ballet if those bits could be filtered out

• Like 5

With reference to the discussion on another thread about replacing or adding to original choreography, especially Swan Lake, would Ondine be one of Ashoton's ballets where it might be allowable to re-choreograph some sections?  Or is the fact that this ballet was created so much more recently a reason for leaving it untouched?

• Like 1

Ondine is a curious piece. I saw it first with Almeida in the role, and then at the last revival - can't remember who with - Rojo? Anyway, saw it on TV last year with Fonteyn. It was fascinating to see her...spellbinding. But it's true, the whole piece needs pruning and perhaps more abstract re-design. But the music is wonderful...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I really love Songs of a Wayfarer would love to see this again and more Bejart pieces.

Has the Royal ever done a full length  Corsaire? I know not the most serious of ballets but some nice wallowy music and used to love Nureyev in this ....but only seen him in the famous pas de deux from it. I know ENB have it in their Rep ....and loved that but wouldn't mind a rival production!! 

Corsaire, yes please. Preferably the Maryinsky version. Such great memories of Asylmuratova, Pankova and Ruzimatov

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Dances at a Gathering (there couldn't be a better time to revive this with the strength of both male and female dancers )

Do you think so?  I'd been rather writing it off for the last few years on the basis that last time around people commented that it worked best on experienced dancers with well-developed stage personalities, and I thought the balance of company make-up had rather shifted in favour of the young-uns, who might not be there quite yet.  It's certainly been on my wishlist virtually ever since its last performance, though.

4 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Yes, Ondine not been done for a good while now. There are parts of that ballet i like a lot - but whenever Ondine not on stage, it looks like make-do filler or worse. I mean, those hunstsmen at the start couldn't take out a rabbit with a death wish. Would be a lovely ballet if those bits could be filtered out

2009, I think - but whether that was the December performances with Rojo or the summer ones with Yoshida I'm not sure.  I thought Rojo/Watson really made something of it, less sure with Yoshida in the title role.  And I love your comment about the huntsmen, Dave :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alison said:

2009, I think - but whether that was the December performances with Rojo or the summer ones with Yoshida I'm not sure.  I thought Rojo/Watson really made something of it, less sure with Yoshida in the title role.  And I love your comment about the huntsmen, Dave :)

yes, 2008/2009. I liked Yoshida in it (she did it with Watson too). Alexandra Ansanelli was good in it too, come to that. As i say, the parts with Ondine on stage (whoever is Ondine) are terrific. But I suppose Sir Fred had to give Margot a rest now and then, and I get the feeling the rest was marking time for her to get her breath back...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

Do you think so?  I'd been rather writing it off for the last few years on the basis that last time around people commented that it worked best on experienced dancers with well-developed stage personalities, and I thought the balance of company make-up had rather shifted in favour of the young-uns, who might not be there quite yet.  It's certainly been on my wishlist virtually ever since its last performance, though.

Yes I do . There's a good balance between experience and "new blood" at the moment, not unlike with the original cast.

Edited by Odyssey