Royal Ballet - 2018/19 new season wish list

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Onegin (and to get permission from the Cranko estate, or whoever, for a cinema broadcast!)

Hear, Hear!!!!!!!!!   Definitely!!!!! The only problem would be choosing the cast out of such an embarrassment of riches that is the current RB company; perhaps Nunez/Muntagirov in the leads with Nagdi/Ball as Olga/Lensky, though Vadim is a wonderful Lensky too.

• Like 1

I would love to see Les Sylphides in a triple bill.  I hated it the last time RB did it, which surprised me, because I love clips I have seen on Youtube.  There is a stunning snippet of Alica Markova performing in this.  Alas, it is only about 30 seconds long, but they are 30 glorious ones that made my mouth water.

I had the pleasure of seeing Sarah Wildor in Ondine years ago.  I enjoyed it, although I found the music a bit challenging, I seem to remember.

Please, no more Nutcrackers.  Or if we must endure it, then please, please, please would somebody listen to us all, and put on Les Patineurs in a triple bill.  I think we ask for it every year, and we never get it. :(

• Like 1

What I would most like to see is:

1) An Ashton Celebration including a 'full length' ballet (hopefully Sylvia/Two Pigeona, please not Ondine), a triple bill, including Rhapsody and Month in the Country, and miscellaneous pieces such as the Blessed Spirits solo

2) Mayerling with at least two new Rudolfs  (Muntagirov? Ball?)

3) Triple Bills which include ballets focused on the man ( e.g. Prodigal Son, Pierrot Lunaire, For Four (Wheeldon), Apollo, Songs of a Wayfarer)

4) The inclusion of one or more of the following in triple bills: Etudes, Suite en Blanc, Theme and Variations, Symphony in C, Ballet Imperial/Piano Concerto No.2

5) La Bayadere (agree with Timmie (above) about the Muntagirov/Nunez/Osipova combos.)

6) New works by Crystal Pite and Annabel Lopez Ochoa

7) Greater selectivity with regard to MacGregor and Wheeldon revivals (not all their work merits repeat showings)

8) Different casts from the original 6 in Swan Lake (if it returns)

9) Raymonda (full ballet)

10) Something else (Cinderella?) running alongside Nutcracker over the festive season.

• Like 9

Max, I'm very much with you re Cathy Marston, as other regulars here may know.  Nothing happened as regards the main stage in her years in-residence at ROH2, and that's so long ago now that I fear Hell may have frozen over before she gets a RB commission.  Her reputation has, however, spread to the West Coast of the USA and she's one of a number commissioned by San Francisco Ballet for this Spring.  Janet has mentioned NB's planned revival of Jane Eyre, the reviews for which first time around were very warm, and she is doing a piece for Ballet Black in the next few months.  Perhaps one day, but ........

• Like 1

My wish list for 18/19 Royal Ballet

Onegin

Les Sylphides

In The Night

The Concert

Afternoon of a Faun

Symphony in C

Mayerling 

La Bayadére

Études

Suite en Blanc 

The Firebird 

Raymonda Act III

Symphonic Variations

Les Patineurs 

In The Middle, Somewhat Elevated 

And that's off the top of my head!

Edited by WoodlandGladeFairy
  • Like 1

Ah yes, thanks.  I was trying to think of one of my perfect triple bills, but couldn't think of something suitable to finish with.  I think it might be:

Symphonic Variations

The Shades Scene from La Bayadere

The Concert

• Like 3

I too have tickets for the Ring, which will involve staying in the UK for 10 days, so I'm very hopeful that there will be interesting ballet to watch. I'm afraid Swan Lake doesn't appeal to me.

I'm curious, why is it unthinkable for the RB to dance Neumeier? Nunez would be perfect in Kameliendame.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, capybara said:

7) Greater selectivity with regard to MacGregor and Wheeldon revivals (not all their work merits repeat showings)

Only McGregor and Wheeldon?  I can think of quite a few other candidates :)

• Like 1

Etudes as I have never seen the Royal perform this only ENB.

Symphonic Variations & The Dream are my Ashton choices.

Four Schumann Pieces - can't you just picture Muntagirov in this?

Square Dances - cast on the young principles and soloists.

I would love to see L'Arlesienne performed again. I have such wonderful memories of it with Peter Schaufuss and Mirielle Bourgeois....

And no Wayne McGregor for a few years please 🙄

Edited by Sharon
Forgot last sentence.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Sharon said:

Etudes as I have never seen the Royal perform this only ENB.

Symphonic Variations & The Dream are my Ashton choices.

Four Schumann Pieces - can't you just picture Muntagirov in this?

Square Dances - cast on the young principles and soloists.

I would love to see L'Arlesienne performed again. I have such wonderful memories of it with Peter Schaufuss and Mirielle Bourgeois....

And no Wayne McGregor for a few years please 🙄

Especially agree about Four Schumann Pieces. Watched it on You Tube recently and loved it. 

• Like 4

Just thought of the request I put in every year, which is obviously never going to happen, and that is the second act of Mr Worldly Wise, the act which features Mistress Truth on Toe.  I loved this part of an otherwise odd ballet, and wish it could be inserted in a triple bill of some sort.  But I am obviously part of a tiny majority.

How about a revival of Ashley Page's Fearful Symmetries?  Not sure if someone has already mentioned that.  I can't remember if I actually saw it live, I don't think I did, but I watched a clip of it recently, and was surprised how much I liked it.  (shock, horror!).  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 2

I would really like to see...

La Bayadere...it's been too long

Serenade...you can probably guess it's one of my absolute favourites

Symphony in C...you can't beat it

Something by Justin Peck...everything he choreographs just looks interesting

I think someone said an Ashton celebration earlier on in the thread...I am totally up for that and happy with any Ashton but really want to see Voices of Spring (I've never seen it danced live and one of my favourite pieces of music)

Mayerling...I still haven't seen Ed Watson in it 

Sleeping Beauty...I just love it :lol:

Nutcracker...I think I'm in the minority who is just really happy with it being on every year, it's just so Christmassey and I was so sad when they put Alice on instead :lol::lol:

• Like 5

My top five:

Onegin 

Two Pigeons

Symphony in C (much pleasure to be had with fantasy casting)

Coppelia - it seems an absolute age since the a Royal Ballet did this

Tombeaux (David Bintley) - can't remember too much about this except (shallowness alert!) the absolutely beautiful tutus but can recall enough to know I would really like to see it again

Plus: a blast from the past - Fearful Symmetries. Again can't remember too much about it except loving Irek Mukhemedov and Deborah Bull dancing up a storm. It may look really old hat now as it was a long time ago but I would be intrigued to see if it could hold its own, both without that amazing original cast and just generally in terms of how things have moved on

• Like 4

Always disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm for Les Noces. I think part of my enjoyment comes from remembering when Nijinska revived it and watching the corps anxiously and visibly counting to keep up with it's complex rhythms. The last performance I saw showed no such difficulties - just shows what an accomplished company the RB has become! Still think it's worth putting on with Les Biches.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Always disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm for Les Noces. I think part of my enjoyment comes from remembering when Nijinska revived it and watching the corps anxiously and visibly counting to keep up with it's complex rhythms. The last performance I saw showed no such difficulties - just shows what an accomplished company the RB has become! Still think it's worth putting on with Les Biches.

I've never seen it but it sounds fund so i'm going to wish for that for next year too!

When was the last time Les Biches done? I have a vague memory that it may have been on a bill with a reconstruction of Nijinsky’s Jeux. Les Noces is, I find, always both exhilarating and moving. Hopefully will be put on again soon! 

1 hour ago, Ianlond said:

When was the last time Les Biches done? I have a vague memory that it may have been on a bill with a reconstruction of Nijinsky’s Jeux. Les Noces is, I find, always both exhilarating and moving. Hopefully will be put on again soon! 

I think it was 2005 as part of the Ashton celebrations: Les Biches/Symphonic Variations/A Month in the Country. 

I also hope we see Les Biches and Les Noces soon. 

Agree - would be wonderful to see both Les Noces and Les Biches again (Zenaida would be a very hard act to follow as the Hostess).

And apologies to Fonty for not noticing mention of Fearful Symmetries first but somehow reassuring to know that someone else feels the same - it really was very enjoyable, actually exhilarating if my memory hadn't gone completely haywire!

• Like 1

On 06/01/2018 at 09:34, BMC said:

Plus: a blast from the past - Fearful Symmetries. Again can't remember too much about it except loving Irek Mukhemedov and Deborah Bull dancing up a storm. It may look really old hat now as it was a long time ago but I would be intrigued to see if it could hold its own, both without that amazing original cast and just generally in terms of how things have moved on

Scottish Ballet did Page’s Fearful Symmetries about ten years ago, IIRC (certainly would make sense as he was their director at the time). I remember leaving the theatre feeling exhilarated and at the time it didn’t feel old hat at all.  

On 05/01/2018 at 08:32, ninamargaret said:

Especially agree about Four Schumann Pieces. Watched it on You Tube recently and loved it. 

When was it last revived? It feels like it ought to be while Dowell and Collier are around to coach it, and potentially Eagling too although I don’t know how much coaching he does at RB (others will be more knowledgeable than me about Jennifer Penney’s availability). I just daydreamed a cast including Muntagirov, Hayward and Naghdi...

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RHowarth said:

When was it last revived? It feels like it ought to be while Dowell and Collier are around to coach it, and potentially Eagling too although I don’t know how much coaching he does at RB (others will be more knowledgeable than me about Jennifer Penney’s availability). I just daydreamed a cast including Muntagirov, Hayward and Naghdi...

What about Campbell.as well? 

• Like 3

So many promising male dancers I would love to see a Royal production of Spartacus. Was blown away many years ago one summer by Mukhemedov in Spartacus. He would be a brilliant coach and we have a choice of men for the role of Spartacus. I can dream, would also like to see Winter Dreams again. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RHowarth said:

Scottish Ballet did Page’s Fearful Symmetries about ten years ago, IIRC (certainly would make sense as he was their director at the time). I remember leaving the theatre feeling exhilarated and at the time it didn’t feel old hat at all.  

Watching clips of it, I can see steps that are also used by Wayne McGregor.  Except those by Page seem less exaggerated and more musical.  To me, anyway.  I was out of the country when Ashley Page was choreographing stuff for the RB, so I missed a lot of what he did.  But I would really like to see this again, and see how it compares with the ballets produced by the current resident choreographer.

Edited by Fonty

3 hours ago, Jillykins said:

So many promising male dancers I would love to see a Royal production of Spartacus. Was blown away many years ago one summer by Mukhemedov in Spartacus. He would be a brilliant coach and we have a choice of men for the role of Spartacus. I can dream, would also like to see Winter Dreams again. 

I think Spartacus would be a better fit for ENB in the round.