Royal Ballet - 2018/19 new season wish list

The RB also danced Onegin in February 2013 (I had to go through all my old cast sheets) as I remember seeing Naghdi( Olga) dancing with David Trzensimiech (Lensky) and Lamb (Tatiana) / Hristov (Onegin).

That's every two or three years 

Edited by Xandra Newman
to add text
  • Like 1

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

The RB also danced Onegin in February 2013 (I had to go through all my old cast sheets) as I remember seeing Naghdi( Olga) dancing with David Trzensimiech (Lensky) and Lamb (Tatiana) / Hristov (Onegin).

That's every two or three years 

Yes, you're right, of course. The ROH archives are not up to date and my memory lost that one.

• Like 1

i sometimes feel quite sorry for the RB. They have to try and perform all the classics, Sean Lake etc, keep the De Valois, Ashton, Fokin e , Nijinska, Balanchine repertoire going, keep their Macmillan McGregor, Scarlett works in trim,produce new works, and for audiences that vary between the,  'seeing a show' variety and the serious balletgoer. And all in a theatre that is shared by the opera so that the number of performances is limited.And as we all know from this forum we all have slightly different ideas about what should be kept to the forefront of the repertoire, what could probably be laid to rest, and whose new work we would like to see. Don't think I'd want KOH'sjob!!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Yes, you're right, of course. The ROH archives are not up to date and my memory lost that one.

I remember some gloriously stellar performances the last time round that the RB did Oneign ... Who could forget the Osipova/Golding/Naghdi/Ball performances .... but perhaps it was not a commercial success.  My memory does not stretch far on such details I fear.  Were there a goodly number of empty seats??   Perhaps there had been for the past couple of runs.  This might be a consideration.  Perhaps it didn't sell as well as, say, the MacMillan hallmarks.  I often fear for Ashton when I see red in the Amphi during, say, Fille.  Some things I just DON'T understand.  

I agree ... those Cojocaru/Reilly performances were cherishable.  I would so love to see that again ... but it would probably have to be Hamburg or Stuttgart.  That said I'd definitely travel for that ... NO QUESTION.  I often do travel for ballet.  I find it vital to do so.  It's part of the reason I stand for everything.  It would not be affordable to do it otherwise ... and blessedly .... given my age ... my health has somehow allowed me to maintain that habit.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I loved Onegin when LFB (now ENB) used to perform it.  It was a performance on 26th May 1984 of Onegin that turned me on to watching ballet.  Years later I realised why ... I had seen Marcia Haydee and Richard Cragun!!!

They do Onegin in Paris and Copenhagen too as well as NBoC.

Also Budapest, Prague, Munich, Vienna, Milan, Hamburg....

7 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

It would be nice to have Rake's Progress (de Valois) too - perhaps in the middle of the Ashton triple bill instead of, or with fewer, of his divertissements.

I am very lucky to have seen an excerpt of this performed by ds and his class for WL graduation nine years ago. He also enjoyed doing Ashton's Facade. I don't know whether White Lodgers still get to do these pieces. Would love to see them performed by the company too especially as so many of the current young dancers were at WL at around the same time so have had exposure to these works from a young age.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

I remember some gloriously stellar performances the last time round that the RB did Oneign ... Who could forget the Osipova/Golding/Naghdi/Ball performances .... but perhaps it was not a commercial success.  My memory does not stretch far on such details I fear.  Were there a goodly number of empty seats?

I very much agree with Bruce - there were fabulous performances in the last Royal Ballet run of Onegin, also the Morera/Bonelli cast and the wonderful Gartside/Avis Prince Gremins.  I thought the performances were pretty much sold out but I do wonder if the copywrite restrictions/absence of DVD/broadcasting rather dampens the commercial appeal?  If I recall there was a clamour for the performances to be broadcast in some form but nothing could be done.  I don't know the impact of commercial spin offs from productions but I imagine it must be positive.  And if ballets gain greater publicity and appeal through DVDs etc, that may give companies the option to put ballets in higher price categories - not that I'm encouraging higher prices.

34 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I very much agree with Bruce - there were fabulous performances in the last Royal Ballet run of Onegin, also the Morera/Bonelli cast and the wonderful Gartside/Avis Prince Gremins.  I thought the performances were pretty much sold out but I do wonder if the copywrite restrictions/absence of DVD/broadcasting rather dampens the commercial appeal?  If I recall there was a clamour for the performances to be broadcast in some form but nothing could be done.  I don't know the impact of commercial spin offs from productions but I imagine it must be positive.  And if ballets gain greater publicity and appeal through DVDs etc, that may give companies the option to put ballets in higher price categories - not that I'm encouraging higher prices.

John, Oneign has recently (2017) been filmed by its originating Company (with F. Vogel - who is well known to London audiences - and a Company appearance by the original Tatjana - the glorious M. Haydee, Ipswich born David Moore as Lenski, RBS grad E. Badenes as his Olga and the fine J. Reilly - already mentioned in this BcoF strand based on his guest appearances in the ballet with the RB - as Gremin) and will be commercially available (pending territorial restrictions of course - whate'er they might be) at the end of 2018 as has been reported on BcoF thanks to Angela and her much appreciated team.  One current source reporting such can be found here, (see last paragraph), a review again celebrating the vivid Oneign of Canadian Reilly.  Speaking of which - and going beyond European shores as I know many readers here sometimes do - you can see the work additionally performed by such companies as NBoC, SFB and ABT.  I'm sure there are a goodly number of others.  IF the RB has indeed now decided to forego it - which there is at least part of me which hopes they have not - perhaps it was because they felt that their dedicated audiences could much more readily see this work elsewhere on their travels than other fine items in their ever blossoming and uniquely stealthy rep, celebrating the idea that you have to prune back in order to see your garden to continue to flourish.   

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

John, Oneign has recently (2017) been filmed by its originating Company (with F. Vogel - who is well known to London audiences - and a Company appearance by the original Tatjana - the glorious M. Haydee, Ipswich born David Moore as Lenski, RBS grad E. Badenes as his Olga and the fine J. Reilly - already mentioned in this BcoF strand based on his guest appearances in the ballet with the RB - as Gremin) and will be commercially available (pending territorial restrictions of course - whate'er they might be) at the end of 2018 as has been reported on BcoF thanks to Angela and her much appreciated team.  One current source reporting such can be found here, (see last paragraph), a review again celebrating the vivid Oneign of Canadian Reilly.  Speaking of which - and going beyond European shores as I know many readers here sometimes do - you can see the work additionally performed by such companies as NBoC, SFB and ABT.  I'm sure there are a goodly number of others.  IF the RB has indeed now decided to forego it - which there is at least part of me which hopes they have not - perhaps it was because they felt that their dedicated audiences could much more readily see this work elsewhere on their travels than other fine items in their ever blossoming and uniquely stealthy rep, celebrating the idea that you have to prune back in order to see your garden to continue to flourish.    

That's great Bruce and I'm sure all us Onegin fans will be eagerly awaiting the dvd. However, I want to see the RB perform Onegin! I have seen some incredible performances; from (I think) the first casting with Rojo/Adam Cooper/Cojacaru/Putrov (my personal favourite) through Cojacaru/Kobborg, Nunez/Soares and more recently Muntagirov and Naghdi as amazing Olga and Lensky (though not together). When I think of the superb possible casts the RB could field in the main 4 roles it seems terrible if we're not able to see them. I've got recordings including Haydee and the Canadian Ballet and while they are excellent I still prefer the RB performances.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

That's great Bruce and I'm sure all us Onegin fans will be eagerly awaiting the dvd. However, I want to see the RB perform Onegin! I have seen some incredible performances; from (I think) the first casting with Rojo/Adam Cooper/Cojacaru/Putrov (my personal favourite) through Cojacaru/Kobborg, Nunez/Soares and more recently Muntagirov and Naghdi as amazing Olga and Lensky (though not together). When I think of the superb possible casts the RB could field in the main 4 roles it seems terrible if we're not able to see them. I've got recordings including Haydee and the Canadian Ballet and while they are excellent I still prefer the RB performances.

I agree with you, Joan .... TOTALLY - (as I think I suggested) ... I was just giving a reason as to why it might (or may) be dropped from the current RB rep .. (if, in fact, that is the case ... which is, as I said in my original posting above, far from certain - i.e., yet to be officially confirmed ... [if in fact they EVER do such things]).  

Edited by Bruce Wall

I appreciate there are some Onegin recordings and hopefully more to come but I would love a Royal Ballet recording and wonder what impact that would have on the production's commercial success - which was one of Bruce's earlier questions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

I was scrolling through various threads, as you do, and I came across Bruce Wall's comment on Onegin, including the link embedded in film, which, out of curiosity, I clicked on. It took me to the website of a company called Major, which has a large number of ballet deliciousnesses, including No A02050103, which just happens to be ... a DVD of Woolf Works. Not from Opus Art. But genuine, as far as I can tell. So maybe that's why we kept waiting for an announcement that never came. I haven't yet ordered a copy, but I'm in the process of sorting out a log-in. Hopefully, it'll all go OK. Anyway, give it a go ☺☺☺.

• Like 4

Unless I am missing something, I don't think that's  an actual  DVD, jmb. CMajor only seem to have 15 ballet DVDs for sale. Woolf Works  is listed as one of many more ballet "programs" but isn't this  just a list of stuff for  which  they hold commercial distribution rights, e.g. for TV viewing?  I am not sure these "programs" are accessible to the general public directly through CMajor. But let do let us know if you find otherwise...

Richard, I have a very nasty feeling that you are right. Blame my advanced years, my unfamiliarity with German and my gullibility. Sorry everyone. Back to waiting. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Unless I am missing something, I don't think that's  an actual  DVD, jmb. CMajor only seem to have 15 ballet DVDs for sale. Woolf Works  is listed as one of many more ballet "programs" but isn't this  just a list of stuff for  which  they hold commercial distribution rights, e.g. for TV viewing?  I am not sure these "programs" are accessible to the general public directly through CMajor. But let do let us know if you find otherwise...

C Major and Deutsche Grammophonen are subsidiary distributors of Unitel GmBh and the catalogue referenced previously is for the TV distribution rights only. Deutch Gramaphone have already issued the Richer Score for Woolf Works on CD, but there is nothing as yet listed for a DVD release. I assume they have purchased these rights as well as the others, so it is to Unitel that any enquiries should be made. There is a website contact request form for anyone wishing to chance their luck, but such  commercial matters are notoriously secretive.