English National Ballet: La Sylphide, The Song of the Earth / Le Jeune Homme et la Mort, London, January 2018

1 hour ago, nevsky said:

The ROH performances were in two separate weeks!

Yes, you are correct.  We never know what goes on behind the scenes.  I do know that they performed Grand Pas Classique and Romeo & Juliet in the gala, not an easy feat.  Perhaps with preparation and then the return from Canada, it was impossible to prepare for the ROH performances.

Edited by fromthebalcony

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the final evening performance and it looked packed in the auditorium.

When I asked my dc who was dancing with them how the sylph disappears up the chimney she told me two of the cast haul her up by her arms, so there is padding on the inside of it because she invariably bangs her legs on it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alison said:

Good grief - don't they have a metal pole or something they pull her up on?

No! I thought it was some kind of mechanical lift platform like the one she comes down on when she steps through the window. Couldn't believe it when she told me.

On 1/21/2018 at 17:04, turtledove said:

No disrespect to Vasiliev, and by all means invite him if it will boost ticket sales which look a bit sticky. But what I don't get about ENB is the frequency with which guests are featured on opening nights or on special occasions such as the performances at the Royal Opera House or the Paris Opera. It makes it seem as if company dancers are not up to the job when that is very much not the case.

Puzzling.............

And now we shall have a guest (Cirio again) dancing Hilarion in the cinema version of Khan's Giselle. Although Cirio's interpretation is admirable, I think that this casting is such a pity. I believe that Corrales was injured at the time but another company member (Saruhashi) was dancing in Liverpool (as, actually, was Oscar Chacon who, if I recall correctly, created the role with Akram Khan).

7 minutes ago, turtledove said:

but another company member (Saruhashi) was dancing in Liverpool (as, actually, was Oscar Chacon who, if I recall correctly, created the role with Akram Khan).

Was Akram Khan's Hilarion not first done for Corrales???  The premiere performance in September 2016 featured the originating cast of Cojocaru, Hernandez and Corrales.  Here is a review from the Manchester Evening News of that International Festival performance that records this fact I believe:  

Although it is a fantastic performance from Cesar Corrales, as his shape-shifting, love rival Hilarion, which steals the show.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

I agree. Either Saruhashi should have been filmed or the guest who helped to create the role (Chacon) and was, in my view, absolutely fantastic in it. I went all the way to Liverpool especially to see him again. I wonder whether a DVD is being contemplated and it's thought that having a dancer from ABT would help market it. More prosaically, perhaps it was just decided to film an established cast.

...I did not have the opportunity to see Chacon in Hilarion - but it seems that when Corrales got injured, Cirio took his casting for those weeks of the national tour and ROH. Wasn't Liverpool after Bristol - or not?  Saruhashi seemed to be replaced in the Bristol casting of the program there - maybe sick or injured so maybe not 100% for Liverpool?  So - if that was the case - neither of the other 2 - Cirio or Chacon are ENB dancers, at that point it's a matter of who has rehearsed with who....

i truly wish I'd seen all casts - 

On 22/01/2018 at 10:43, MAB said:

Regarding Jeune Homme, I was grateful that Corrales at least deigned to wear a facsimile of the original costume.  I found Ivan Vasiliev's sprayed on jeans both inappropriate and singularly unflattering to his body type. 

If it was unflattering is a matter of taste (I don't agree), but fact is, other dancers, including Nurejev and Barishnikov, didn't wear the original overall, as can be easily seen in YouTube. I saw even professional critics mention the costum "problem", they forgot what they have seen? For surely they saw? It was as if ENB or Ivan Vasiliev were guilty of major heresy, while it was Roland Petit who either approved or decided - there is a video where the choreographer himself is splattering paint on his Ivan Vasiliev's jeans. Small flaws like this, coming from professionals... makes you wonder! 
Bringing guests means all involved can exchange experience and knowledge, the more different their backgrounds, the more interesting and enriching it can be. It's not just a ticket selling strategy, and there is no implicit low evaluation of the house artists - if anything, it's just the opposite: you don't bring an outsider, if you think s/he will put your own group to shame. Today we have a guest in our company, tomorrow our artists guest somewhere else. So let's enjoy excellence in diversity: it's good for the artists, it's good for us. 

8 hours ago, MaggiM said:

If it was unflattering is a matter of taste (I don't agree), but fact is, other dancers, including Nurejev and Barishnikov, didn't wear the original overall, as can be easily seen in YouTube. I saw even professional critics mention the costum "problem", they forgot what they have seen? For surely they saw? It was as if ENB or Ivan Vasiliev were guilty of major heresy, while it was Roland Petit who either approved or decided - there is a video where the choreographer himself is splattering paint on his Ivan Vasiliev's jeans. Small flaws like this, coming from professionals... makes you wonder! 
Bringing guests means all involved can exchange experience and knowledge, the more different their backgrounds, the more interesting and enriching it can be. It's not just a ticket selling strategy, and there is no implicit low evaluation of the house artists - if anything, it's just the opposite: you don't bring an outsider, if you think s/he will put your own group to shame. Today we have a guest in our company, tomorrow our artists guest somewhere else. So let's enjoy excellence in diversity: it's good for the artists, it's good for us. 

Le Jeune Homme has a somewhat patchy performance history, but there are enough images of the original performance to give a clear indication of the designers intentions.  Rudolf Nureyev was notorious for refusing to wear certain costumes, even those specifically designed for him.  No doubt you recall the incident with Cecil Beaton.  However, the jeans Nureyev wore were of the conventional variety, the elasticated version Ivan Vasiliev wore hadn't been invented back then, Ivan Vasiliev has unusually short legs and they were unflattering to his physique.

I don't know how you deduce from what I wrote that I am hostile to guests per se, especially as I wrote very enthusiastically about Ciro Tamayo, another guest artist, on this thread. 

I'm very interested as to what my group is btw, 'the balletic head bangers' perhaps?

• Like 2

Dance Europe has a raft of reviews about these programmes. The last one is about the unforgettable performance of Jeune Homme by Cesar Corrales and Jia Zhang. Just a few phrases to give the flavour:

".....the emotional tension he brings is palpable......"

". ....he is a dancer very much in his own elevated league...."

"......his every move and expression appears to explode and evolve from within...."

"......she, too, could not be better cast......"

"......her physical beauty and allure dangerously bewitching....."

".....a savage yet riveting account of the tragedy...."

Deborah Weiss concludes by saying that her companion (a regular ballet goer) remarked that it was the best thing  she had ever seen.

It was a Thursday matinee and the house was by no means full.

• Like 6