English National Ballet: La Sylphide, The Song of the Earth / Le Jeune Homme et la Mort, London, January 2018

Does anyone have any thoughts on either of the double bills? Did anyone see it in Manchester or Milton Keynes? Is anyone planning to see it in London? I'm contemplating going, but not sure which one. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reason for most people going to see these programmes will probably be La Sylphide which is a charming old Romantic ballet like Giselle in 2 acts of about 30 minutes each. Both of the other ballets make a great contrast, it's easy for me to choose because I like Le Jeunne Homme as much as I dislike Song of the Earth, although I am hoping to see both as the Sylphide casts are different. Song of the Earth takes an hour and Jeunne Homme only 20 minutes, I find the music for Song of the Earth quite morbid and heavy but many people would disagree! Jeunne Homme is a strange one, music by Bach and surreal, but fascinating and has one of the best transformation scenes in ballet and a great role for the male dancer. Hope this helps, am sure others will have different views.

• Like 2

I'm going to see La Sylphide and Le Jeune Homme et La Mort on the 20th matinee.

I chose this combination because I've already seen Song of the Earth earlier in the Autumn and I do love that ballet ...however hardly ever get to see Le Jeune Homme and was fascinated by it last time so looking forward to seeing again....especially too as Caesar Corrales is dancing the main role! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I'm going to see La Sylphide and Le Jeune Homme et La Mort on the 20th matinee.

I chose this combination because I've already seen Song of the Earth earlier in the Autumn and I do love that ballet ...however hardly ever get to see Le Jeune Homme and was fascinated by it last time so looking forward to seeing again....especially too as Caesar Corrales is dancing the main role! 

Snap! I've never seen le Jeune Homme, but apart from that your post could have been written by me :)

• Like 1

I HAVE seen Jeune Homme and would thoroughly recommend it, especially with the eye-watering prospect of seeing Cesar Corrales in the leading role.

But Song of the Earth is very special too.

La Sylphide is the one I'd miss if the combinations gave me that choice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, capybara said:

La Sylphide is the one I'd miss if the combinations gave me that choice.

Capybara, that was initially my thought...I'd like to see Jeune Homme and Song more than I'd like to see Sylphide. I've never seen Jeune Homme in performance but I remember (and this will date me!) being blown away by Baryshnikov performing it at the beginning of the film "White Nights". I love the Bach music, too.

However, Beryl's comment above piqued my interest in Sylphide- I had forgotten its similarities to Giselle, remembering only the Scottish divertissements. I think I'm more likely to see the second programme, with Le Jeune Homme.

Looking at the La Sylphide casts I would go for Ciro Tamayo as James.  He was my favourite of the 3 I saw in Manchester.  I love La Sylphide and that was the major draw for me in the Autumn.  (I do love Song of the Earth too.  I enjoyed Jeune Homme when I saw it some years ago but I have only seen it live once).

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LinMM said:

I seem to remember it as short but absolutely mesmerising ....and have no idea who was dancing...most annoying!!

The first male leads in Jeune Homme for ENB were Yonah Acosta (amazing), Anton Lukovkin and guest Ivan Vasiliev (dancing to honour Roland Petit who had just died). Under Rojo, the guests were Nicholas Le Riche and Ivan Putrov (replacing an injured Acosta) alongside company member Fabian Remair. Those playing the women have been  Jia Zhang, Anais Chalendard and Tamara Rojo. 

Now we have Vasiliev, Zhang and Rojo back and Corrales :), Hernandez, Caley and Cao in the mix. It should be terrific.

• Like 1

I am cross with myself now.  I really wanted to see Cesar Corrales in Le Jeune Homme, and I booked hotel for Thursday night, thinking he was dancing in the evening, but i now see he's doing matinees only.:( i might have to stay another night to see him on saturday afternoon.  Anyway, the point of this is, does anyone know if the Coliseum tend to do special offers on tickets, eg through Travelzoo, nearer the time?  If i am seeing it twice, I could do with cheap tickets!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cavycapers said:

I am cross with myself now.  I really wanted to see Cesar Corrales in Le Jeune Homme, and I booked hotel for Thursday night, thinking he was dancing in the evening, but i now see he's doing matinees only.:( i might have to stay another night to see him on saturday afternoon.  Anyway, the point of this is, does anyone know if the Coliseum tend to do special offers on tickets, eg through Travelzoo, nearer the time?  If i am seeing it twice, I could do with cheap tickets!

See here

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CCL said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on either of the double bills? Did anyone see it in Manchester or Milton Keynes? Is anyone planning to see it in London? I'm contemplating going, but not sure which one. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts!

CCL, I did a rather lengthy report of the three performances I saw in Milton Keynes which you should be able to find somewhere on here which I hope will give you some insight into the first double bill.  It is a rather long programme but you certainly get your money's worth.  I am looking forward to seeing Dronina in "Song of the Earth", who was injured during the Milton Keynes week, and seeing at least one of the other marvellous casts again.  I will also be seeing the double bill with 'Jeune homme' , not only to see the fabulous Cesar Corrales but also, for me, the peerless Jia Zhang as the woman.  She first danced it in 2011, when she was 3rd year corps de ballet, and was only one of two females chosen by Luigi Bonnino (who staged the Petit programme for ENB) to dance the role.  She is quite simply breath-taking!  I am also looking forward to seeing Begona Cao add another femme fatale to her repertoire!  As to "La Sylphide", for me the new production is not a patch on the previous one by Schaufuss both for choreographic content and design but the company dance what they are given extremely well and, although only the guest artist's performances as Madge are mentioned on the casting so far, if you get to see Stina Quagebeur, you are in for a real treat! 

• Like 3

Just booked for company class at Coliseum on January 20th and matinee performance of Jeune Homme and La Sylphide. Very thrilled as mid unpleasant chemo and it is something to look forward to. Coliseum access brilliant, in stallsand can transfer from wheelchair to seat. Very helpful box office and I get two seats for price of one. Can anyone tell me who is dancing at the matinee? I know I will enjoy it whoever it is. 

• Like 3

HI Jillykins.  Here is the cast for the matinee on the 20th.  It should make you feel a lot better!  Enjoy, and do let us know what you think.  All the best with your chemo.  

London Coliseum, Sat 20 January 2018, 2.30pm

Le Jeune Homme et la Mort

Cesar Corrales

The Man

Jia Zhang

The Woman

La Sylphide

Alison McWhinney

La Sylphide

Aitor Arrieta

James
  • Like 1

If anyone was hoping to see Shiori Kase's lovely Sylph, the ENB website has now confirmed that she will not be dancing (she sustained an injury just after Christmas) and her performances are being covered by Alison McWhinney and Rina Kanehara.  I am sad not to see Kase again but glad to have the chance to see at least one of these other artists again.

Jillikins I will be at the 20th matinee would be lovely to meet up again I will PM you

Hoping the chemo isn't too awful .....though that always seems such a lame thing to say ....wishing you well while getting through with all that X 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MAX said:

I don't know Kanehara, is she that special ?

She was joint winner of Emerging Dancer and was clearly the best of all of the ladies. She danced the Esmeralda pdd beautifully. Definitely a rising star.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAX said:

Must be difficult for her to see Rina Kanehara taking such an important place at ENB.

I saw her as Clara in the Nutcracker in 2016 and was bowled over by her.  Then I saw her as the Sylph last October (2017) and I thought she was exquisite.

I think she is only very young and yes exceptional.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MAX said:

Must be difficult for her to see Rina Kanehara taking such an important place at ENB.

Why do you say that in this instance? Young dancers are 'emerging' all the time in every company. And, unfortunately, dancers get injured quite a lot too.

1 hour ago, MAX said:

Yes, very. A beautiful Clara and an ethereal Sylph - among many other roles.

• Like 4