The Royal Ballet: Swan Lake, anticipating the new production, Summer 2018

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

And Christiansen has been pretty panned for saying so (his reason was he saw a number of critics at the first night that he doesn't usually see there).  

Salome is pretty well sold (over 90% and amphi is sold out for every show) and no sign of any ticket offers so I very much doubt the house will be papered any more than the usual house seats.

I've no idea whether he's right in this case - he often isn't! - but his exact words on Twitter (I just looked) were that "there was definitely a much higher percentage of 'press' in the stalls than is usual on a first night - people who aren't normally considered eligible."

The Amphi is usually sold out, probably because that's where the affordable seats are concentrated.

I'd guess that if there was a higher percentage of press than usual then the ROH might be wanting the reviews to reach more people, which might suggest that sales were a bit slow, but it's a bit of a leap to assume that any papering was done, surely?  Anyway, we know that Swan Lake will sell regardless.

2 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Sure, but I guess what I was trying to say was that an absence of empty seats doesn't always tell the whole story.

Indeed not, but ROH usually put out an offer if something is not selling well.  Why would they paper the house without trying to sell the tickets at a cheaper price first?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Indeed not, but ROH usually put out an offer if something is not selling well.  Why would they paper the house without trying to sell the tickets at a cheaper price first?

Out of interest, how do you normally get wind of ROH offers?

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Combination of newspapers (usually Metro, Evening Standard and Sunday Times) and Time Out daily mail-shot.  Offers are also sometimes emailed to those on the student mailing list.

Which I gather was the case at opening night of Salome - there was a late-notice Student Standby.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2018 at 12:50, RuthE said:

Apologies if I have missed somebody suggesting this further up the thread, but my hunch is the opposite; I wondered if the reason Naghdi is not dancing the title role in Manon is because she is preparing her first Odette/Odile.

To return to this: I've just noticed that Naghdi isn't listed for Elite Syncopations in May either, despite her very fine turn in October. Case closed, I'd say!

• Like 1

Just now, Lizbie1 said:

To return to this: I've just noticed that Naghdi isn't listed for Elite Syncopations in May either, despite her very fine turn in October. Case closed, I'd say!

Yasmine only danced those Elites as Sarah Lamb injured, so the casting in May reverts to how it was - now that Sarah injury free again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

Yasmine only danced those Elites as Sarah Lamb injured, so the casting in May reverts to how it was - now that Sarah injury free again.

I was told Yasmine Naghdi was cast to dance the title role in Elite Syncopations in the upcoming May run but as Sarah Lamb was injured back in October Naghdi took over from her on Opening Night and all other performance dates; Lamb will now dance the role in the May run instead of Naghdi (and since Naghdi is not dancing the title role in Manon nor in Elite Syncopations the hope is thus very high that she will be cast as Odette/Odile). 

Edited by Nina G.
spelling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Nina G. said:

I was told Yasmine Naghdi was cast to dance the title role in Elite Syncopations in the upcoming May run but as Sarah Lamb was injured back in October Naghdi took over from her on Opening Night and all other performance dates; Lamb will now dance the role in the May run instead of Naghdi (and since Naghdi is not dancing the title role in Manon nor in Elite Syncopations the hope is thus very high that she will be cast as Odette/Odile). 

ah - you may be right. It does sometimes seem that dancers are 'allocated' a certain number of performances of 'X', and will make swops if injuries intervene. As an aside, this may account for the multi cast rejigs in things like Nutcracker (for lower ranks) when we get the cast change slips!

And I hope you're right about the SL casting!!! :-)

• Like 1

The pairings are: 

Nunez/Muntagirov (5)

Lamb/Hirano (4)

Takada McRae (4)

Cuthbertson/Bonelli (4)

Naghdi/Kish (3)

Osipova/Ball (4)

As shown, most pairings get 4 shows each with Naghdi/Kish having 3, including the Schools'Matinee. Lamb/Hirano dance the Welcome Performance. There are 2 open matinees (Naghdi/Kish and Osipova/Ball).

Edited by capybara
adding information
  • Like 8

Interesting that Naghdi and Ball are not paired ... but perhaps wise to give each debut artist a partner who has some experience in their respective roles.  Osipova/Ball could prove to interesting indeed.  He can be such a fine actor - and she will, I think, very much feed off of that.    

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Sure but they normally divide them equally regardless.

More experienced. Bigger reputations and ultimately will bring in more money. I am thrilled for Takada as well. Great news for them both. Other four were a shoe in.

Edited by Shya100

16 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Sure but they normally divide them equally regardless.

I'm not sure that is the case, in fact. I think that sometimes debutantes are only given a couple of performances of a big role even when others are doing more.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, capybara said:

The pairings are: 

Nunez/Muntagirov (5)

Lamb/Hirano (4)

Takada McRae (4)

Cuthbertson/Bonelli (4)

Naghdi/Kish (3)

Osipova/Ball (4)

As shown, most pairings get 4 shows each with Naghdi/Kish having 3, including the Schools'Matinee. Lamb/Hirano dance the Welcome Performance. There are 2 open matinees (Naghdi/Kish and Osipova/Ball).

What's the source of this information?

8 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Seems strange that Nunez/Muntagirov get an extra show at the expense of Naghdi/Kish.

Marianela Nunez is celebrating 20 years with The Royal Ballet, she is the most senior ballerina of the 6 ballerinas cast to dance Odette/Odile so she gets an extra performance.

I am absolutely thrilled Yasmine Naghdi is dancing Odette/Odile, and with an experienced, established Principal who has the princely look necessary for this role.

I think Ball is paired with Osipova in order for him to gain more partnering experience. I would have loved to see the Naghdi/Ball duo but it must be for a good reason Mr O'Hare has given them each a different partner. 

• Like 6

Nunez/Muntagirov 17 May, 1, 6 & 12 June (and student performance on 21 May)

Lamb/Hirano 23 May, 5 & 14 June (and welcome performance on 19 May (m))

Takada McRae 19(e) & 31 May,  15(e) & 21 June

Cuthbertson/Bonelli 22 May, 2, 8 and 18 June

Naghdi/Kish 28 May (m) and 11 June (and schools' matinée on 6 June)

Osipova/Ball 28 May (e), 9, 15(m) and 19 June

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

Weird. Just looked and the casting has been removed.

As you say, very weird - and still down 45mins later!!!!!

Thanks to bangorballetboy we will be able to make comparisons when and if the casting reappears to see if anything has changed.

• Like 2

Whereas I can totally understand the reasons for putting Matthew and Yasmine with experienced partners in this ballet, they did after all debut together in Sleeping Beauty which worked a treat, and that ballet isn't exactly a walk in the park for the ballerina!     For me personally, I don't really mind toooo much about who Siegfried is because it is all about the ballerina in this particular ballet (as in Beauty and most 19th century classical ballets), so perhaps chemistry isn't quite as important as it is in the dramatic ballets.  Of course, it's a lovely bonus if there is real rapport between the prince and the ballerina, but for me not quite so important as in more recent ballets (Cranko, MacMillan, etc.).  Just my opinion....

• Like 3