The Royal Ballet: Swan Lake, anticipating the new production, Summer 2018

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to mention that the bottom of the escalators may be a difficult meeting place tomorrow evening.  The interval receptions for the sponsors/supportors are being held in one of the opera rehearsal rooms and the entrance backstage for those attending will be the door at the bottom of the escalators!

Sorry I won't be there, as it all sounds very exciting! I'm first seeing the Cuthbertson/Bonelli cast next Tuesday, then two later performances by opening night cast plus the Naghdi/Kish matinee.

(As Lauren Cuthbertson was out injured for the last TWO runs of the old production, I've never seen her in Swan Lake at all.)

Edited by RuthE

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

I'm normally pretty scruffy but this is definitely a make-an-effort occasion - I might even get the ironing board out :)

Oh heck!  Glad you mentioned this as I'm normally dressed pretty casually.  I was too busy being majorly excited about opening night & haven't given any thought whatsoever to my outfit.   Not sure I'll go as far as getting out the ironing board though, as I'm only in the amphi  😃

I'll be accompanied tomorrow night by a relative who's pretty new to ballet, so I'm hoping the extra buzz of excitement will help her to enjoy her first classical tutu ballet. 

Can't wait!  I'll be at the bottom of the escalator too.   Perhaps from BBB's comment, there'll be an opportunity for a bit of celebrity spotting there?

• Like 1

So, something special happening tonight?  I know its the 75th Anniversary of Op Chastise, better known as the Dams Raid ..... but something else perhaps?  

Just remembered, Zen is opening again at the Barbican as Elizabeth I .... I knew there was something special 

Edited by Ian Macmillan
I remembered!
  • Like 2

I thought I would posting to express my envy and to wish you all a fantastic opening night, but Unexpected Returns + Mad Impulse + Credit Card = Just got  two last minute tickets for tomorrow night! So we  can join in the excitement...!!   Then Takada and Bracewell on Saturday....good times....

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

Probably a silly question, but do the dancers come out at the end after the first night, or is there some kind of party afterwards?

There is something afterwards. You may remember that it was possible to buy special tickets which included the party and various sponsors also go to such events.

Based on past experience, most of the corps still come out but the principals and some soloists go to the party and don't appear for 'hours'.

I hope Hirano is OK: he bent over and grabbed his ankle (?) after the Black Swan men's variation in today's dress. He hobbled off, laid down in the wings during Odile's variation, but finished the coda and seemed fine from that point. I did not stay for Act IV. 

One word for the Act III set:  LAVISH.  A far cry from the Sonnabend ballroom which looked straight out of The Munsters.  The model shown in the rehearsal insight doesn't do it justice. 

1 hour ago, MRR said:

I hope Hirano is OK: he bent over and grabbed his ankle (?) after the Black Swan men's variation in today's dress. He hobbled off, laid down in the wings during Odile's variation, but finished the coda and seemed fine from that point. I did not stay for Act IV. 

One word for the Act III set:  LAVISH.  A far cry from the Sonnabend ballroom which looked straight out of The Munsters.  The model shown in the rehearsal insight doesn't do it justice. 

He definitely hobbled off but did complete the ballet, I wonder if it was a touch of cramp.

• John Mallinson changed the title to The Royal Ballet: Swan Lake, anticipating the new production, Summer 2018
3 hours ago, MRR said:

Akane Takada replaces Lauren Cuthbertson in tomorrow (Tuesday's) performance:  http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-change-swan-lake-on-22-may-2018

2 hours ago, HappyTurk said:

I hope it is nothing serious as Lauren already missed out on Giselle. 

1 hour ago, RuthE said:

Noooooo!!!!

Nothing against Takada but I've been waiting my whole ballet life to see Lauren's O/O because she was injured for both of the last 2 runs...

1 hour ago, alison said:

Me too ... :(  Plus I saw Takada on Saturday.

I was hoping when Lauren pulled out of a gala due to injury the other day that it was only precautionary :(

1 hour ago, Xandra Newman said:

Same.

I bought an extra ticket to finally see Cuthbertson... and she's injured again. Surely I'll enjoy watching Takada instead.