The Royal Ballet: Swan Lake, anticipating the new production, Summer 2018

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/6/2018 at 13:51, penelopesimpson said:

Me, too Richard.  Couldn't get tickets for the first night but waiting with bated breath for 19th.  I feel confident we are in for a treat

Yes indeed....but with only 12 days to go I am now wondering 1) will McRae actually be dancing this, after his long absence through injury and 2) when are we likely to be informed of other cast members, in all the performances....(unless I have missed something, only the two main roles  have been announced to date) ?? 🤔

Edited by Richard LH

I agree that it is unfortunate that we have only been given the headline casting for Swan Lake to date. 'Twas ever thus, of course, although I think that I remember a time when Von Rothbart was also listed.

But the new Swan Lake is said to be different, with both Von Rothbart and Benno being given greater prominence, and the casting for these roles could thus influence one's choices - if ticket availability (Friday Rush?) permits, of course.

• Like 4

Edward Watson went off injured just after The Wind and has unfortunately been replaced in various roles since then.

Steven McRae danced the cinema relay of The Nutcracker in early December last year and has also had the misfortune not to have been on the ROH stage since then.

Watson does not have any more scheduled appearances this season but is cast for Mayerling in October. If McRae is not to be in Swan Lake there will surely be an announcement very soon as his first show is due to be in less than a fortnight's time.

• Like 2

What I do not understand is why McRae has been named in the Swan Lake  casting for the tour to Madrid. I thought the reason there were only six casts for the London run was due to time and money. 

Looking forward to Insight eve on Thursday. Great way to celebrate reaching 82! Big thank you to Access for getting my wheelchair in and thank you to lovely lady on camera who is always so considerate. Must be about 75 years since my first Swan Lake, looking forward to learning about new production. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, John Mallinson said:

Steven McRae will be replaced by William Bracewell in Swan Lake.

Gosh, that's a surprise!  Sadly I don't have tickets for that cast as the dates don't fit.  I am quite surprised that they didn't put James Hay in there, considering what a great partnership he and Akane made in Sleeping Beauty.  Or what about Alex Campbell, after the amazing Manons they have just done?  As there does seem to be a Principal pecking order, wouldn't Alex have priority here?    Does William already know the role from his BRB days?  Mind you, this is a new production so I guess even if he knows the basics there is still a lot to learn.  I hope it works really well!

• Like 6

I'm guessing that prior experience in the role has probably been the decisive factor here.  Plus Campbell has of course had to learn Des Grieux at short notice, and perform that and Lescaut in the current run of Manon.  A big boost for Bracewell, but I'm sorry for McRae that he isn't recovered as of yet.

• Like 2

David Bintley used to openly refer to Alexander Campbell as the Boy Wonder and told a group of friends that he learnt the leading role in Mozartiana in an hour and a half so I don't think a new Siegfried as well as Des Grieux and Lescaut would have phased him in the least!

Having said that, I'm sorry that Steven McRae is still out and I know that William Bracewell will be wonderful.

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

David Bintley used to openly refer to Alexander Campbell as the Boy Wonder and told a group of friends that he learnt the leading role in Mozartiana in an hour and a half so I don't think a new Siegfried as well as Des Grieux and Lescaut would have phased him in the least!

Having said that, I'm sorry that Steven McRae is still out and I know that William Bracewell will be wonderful.

Not forgetting Albrecht, as well!!

• Like 2

Well, this is a surprise.  It will be a night of firsts on the 19th.  Longing to know who else is cast.  Poor Steven who obviously won't be fit in June either.  We have been without him and Ed for too long.  All good wishes to both of them and please know that you are missed.

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I thought the role of Benno was already quite big in the last production...how much bigger can he get!?

And unless he gets a really significant amount of dancing, is it likely that a principal would be cast as Benno?

10 hours ago, Sim said:

Gosh, that's a surprise!  Sadly I don't have tickets for that cast as the dates don't fit.  I am quite surprised that they didn't put James Hay in there, considering what a great partnership he and Akane made in Sleeping Beauty.  Or what about Alex Campbell, after the amazing Manons they have just done?  As there does seem to be a Principal pecking order, wouldn't Alex have priority here?    Does William already know the role from his BRB days?  Mind you, this is a new production so I guess even if he knows the basics there is still a lot to learn.  I hope it works really well!

Disappointed that yet again an unexpected opportunity hasn’t gone to James Hay especially since, as you say Sim, he and Akane Takada danced that fabulous Beauty together. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, bridiem said:

And unless he gets a really significant amount of dancing, is it likely that a principal would be cast as Benno?

Hasn't there been a photo of Ryoichi Hirano as Benno on Instagram in the last couple of days courtesy of Meaghan Grace Hinkis?

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

I thought the role of Benno was already quite big in the last production...how much bigger can he get!?

He hardly registered in the Dowell production as he quickly  merged with three other 'friends', didn't he? The Scarlett Benno has been widely reported as dancing the Act 1 pas de trois. So a considerable step up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

At least Campbell got Des Grieux in the end. No Siegfried AND no Des Grieux would have been very sad, especially with him going to Australia for a few months soon!! :(

And he wasn't originally cast to dance Albrecht, either....and what wonderful performances he gave in that role, too! So no Albrecht, no Des Grieux AND no Siegfried would have been even worse!!  😱

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Sim said:

Isn’t Alexander in Australia on a swap visit?

30 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Isn’t Alexander in Australia on a swap visit?

14 minutes ago, Sim said:

Ah, is he going already?  That would explain it then!

He's coming for Cinderella which is not until December in Sydney. You get Kevin Jackson for Nutcracker in exchange. 

Aus Ballet currently performing Merry Widow and working on mixed programme that follows it, plus new Spartacus so I very much doubt Alexander would be coming here to learn the role this early, when you consider what he is already doing in London. It's a helluva long flight for a couple of days in a studio! And it's Ratmansky so possibly he'd be able to learn it in Yurrup anyway...? Anyone know where Ratmansky is atm?