RBS Spring Intensive 2018

Eliteballet

Hi there.  I am new to this forum as well as the world of ballet at vocational level.  My daughter is 12 and although she has an audition date for RBS MA's in Jan (which I believe the majority of applicants get anyway) both applications for the Spring Intensive programmes at WL and HK were sadly declined.  Although the email still encourages us to reapply for future courses, I was just wondering if any other applicants have experienced the same rejection email/letters and how many times they were declined before their application was finally accepted?  I realise that the demand is high and the number of places are limited.  But as RBS do not offer individual feedback, I did not want to continue paying a deposit for each application if they think my child does not fit the RBS's "ideal" profile. I am thinking that the audition she has in January will be a good indicator.  In the meantime, we will keep our options open and start looking at other schools.  I would be interested in hearing anyone elses experience.  

I’m sorry to hear you have had disappointing news. After the Mid audition your daughter’s regular dance teacher is able to request feedback, which might give some answers. I know their programmes are all really over subscribed, and the photo-only applications are especially tough. Good luck for January xx

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

2 years of failed JA auditions followed by lack of confidence meaning DD did not even want to try again for the final possible JA year. First year of applying for SS was an outright no, the next 2 years were waitlist places so a little glimmer of hope for that hallowed dream of being a 'Royal' followed finally by that golden yes for the Easter Course! I have been quite cynical about the fees charged for merely applying & wonder if it is just a waste of effort & money but guess this eventual yes makes it all seem ok after all! I do wonder how they can truly select from photos but am guessing that with only a relatively few places to fill they will a) have knowledge of many applicants from JA's/other courses & insider ballet world knowledge plus an indication from levels attained & amount of weekly training. In defence of their selection process....in all reality, DD was not the 'right' JA shape back in the day & it is pure good fortune that as she has aged physique changes have naturally changed to be closer to the perceived 'Royal look' as described to me by those in the know.

Good luck for Mids & future dancing!

• Like 6

Eliteballet I would think that after the MA audition you will have an idea if your dd fits the RBS bill. Usually all who apply get an audition.

The 'no' letters are usually very positive and do not give a good indication of future success.

Certainly the SS has traditionally been very international and relatively few British get places :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My DD (also 12) received a no for the Spring course too and we're waiting on the summer school results, though not expecting anything much there either! She's yet to have any success at applying for anything RB, but we went to an Associates day at Covent Garden a couple of years ago and she really enjoyed it. Looking at the other girls at the Associate auditions last year, I think she was no different in terms of RB desired look or level of talent and flexibility, which was reassuring and gave her confidence, so I think sometimes it's just a case of keeping on applying if you're really keen - there really are soooo few places for all these programmes! And the talent pool is, of course, huge.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2018 at 18:17, cupcake said:

Eliteballet,

Competition for these intensives etc is intense... my dd was never offered a place on the WL summer school... including the year she was offered a full time place at the school!😉

A recent post on a SS topic was saying that in the past WL pupils were give priority. Is this not the case then? I know that Associates were encouraged last year but don’t think all who applied were offered places.

Hi,

Last Year WL students were offered places in January - well before the official date for results so I guess they are still given priority.My dd applied for summer school the year before in Year 6. She applied at the same time as auditioning for a full time place . She was rejected for the summer school but given a full time place. It does make us chuckle that the only way to get in the summer school for her was to be a full time student!😉

Last year there were only a few girls (3) in her year at WL that did SS- most students want to try something different - at least in the lower years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cupcake said:

Last year there were only a few girls (3) in her year at WL that did SS- most students want to try something different - at least in the lower years.

Assuming there are three WL pupils and three Associates in each year at SS looking at the average number of UK dancers offered places that would leave around 12 places for non RBS dancers in each year group. At 20% odds are not that great!  Would love to be corrected if anyone else’s intelligence can give a more accurate analysis.  As noted on the RBS SS course post hopefully this has opened out the opportunity for those who applied for Easter although I understand there is only one group per year as against two at SS.  Hope those going at Easter have a wonderful time and fingers crosssed for those waiting for SS offers. 

On 26/01/2018 at 18:26, Dancer123 said:

Keep all your hopes and dreams alive! You just never know!

Absolutely, last year my DD applied for SS at Elmhurst, ENBS & RBS. Never having done this before and not part of the associate scheme, my DD teacher actually advised against applying for the "big three". Purely because they are all so heavily over subscribed and the cost jsut to apply. 

Well, I didn't exactly listen.Oops. 

RBS WL - Waiting List

ENBS, - Yes for two weeks. as it happens the dates overlapped with RBS so it all worked out. 

Elmhurst, - initally a no but then a few weeks later a place offered. 

As they say, if you are not in it you can't win it. Being offered a place at these SS's, is supposedly a bit like winning a lottery, not that I've ever had the pleasure. But you just never know :)

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/01/2018 at 07:50, Newdancermum said:

Assuming there are three WL pupils and three Associates in each year at SS looking at the average number of UK dancers offered places that would leave around 12 places for non RBS dancers in each year group. At 20% odds are not that great!  Would love to be corrected if anyone else’s intelligence can give a more accurate analysis.  As noted on the RBS SS course post hopefully this has opened out the opportunity for those who applied for Easter although I understand there is only one group per year as against two at SS.  Hope those going at Easter have a wonderful time and fingers crosssed for those waiting for SS offers. 

My DD auditioned for RBS JA in year 5 for year 6 entry and before that applied for the summer school.

We were shocked that she was accepted to the SS and then a place at JA’s as these were our first applications for anything RBS.

So DD was accepted for SS not as a JA, so there is hope, we also know someone else who got SS who was not a JA.

DD was forunte for Spring Program too and this time a JA. I still am not sure how they assess just on photos though, you can drive yourself crazy trying to second guess!

fingers crossed to all for this years SS!

• Like 1