Christmas at vocational school

sarahw

My DD is at WL..last full ballet class is today but then busy with rehearsals and performances for The Nutcracker.. yr 10 & 11 are busy with the big choreography competition which is on Tuesday. The school finishes on Wednesday although most are very busy with The Nutcracker from then on ..  ( my dd gets one week rest for Xmas .)

• Like 1

Thanks Guys it's interesting to hear what happens elsewhere.

A reflection of Hammond having a diverse offering I suppose.........  It's worrying for January auditions (esp classical) when you add up these last 2 weeks and the Xmas hols :(

Elmhurst continue classes right through to the end of term as they have a Christmas sharing of work afternoon / evening for parents. Every student takes part and demonstrates a selection of their class work on the stage from year 7 through to 6:3. I personally love this as you get to see the progression through the school and you get a glass of wine 🍷😊

• Like 6

Enjoy it while you can, if you can. Dc do not stay this age for very long, and as  the non vocational schools finish around now for Christmas, no-one is at a particular disadvantage when it comes to auditions. This time next year they might be feeling nostalgic when they are doing their end of term ballet assessments, writing essays and not coming home for another 2 weeks.

8 hours ago, sarahw said:

Hi!

What happens at other schools at this time of year?

Hammond seems to abandon dance for the last 2 weeks of term in favour of Carol service preparation !!

Just not ideal preparation for auditions for Y11s!!!

My Dd was in year 11 this time last year, injured, off dance, crutches and awaiting an MRI. She was off for 5 weeks yet still bounced back to complete her January auditions. I feel that sometimes a break is the best preparation for an extremely stressful year 😬

The very best of luck to your Dd x

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Billyelliott said:

DS yr 11 Elm is very much still hard at work with Dance and academics - too busy to chat - had to get on with homework, but not so busy he couldn’t find time for a trip to Aldi and 2 snowball fights tonight!

Yes, the snow has been an added distraction today apparently!

It’s good for them to be ‘off timetable’ for a little while, I think. The rest of the term is so relentless that a break from the routine of it all does them the world of good. 

• Like 5

This term always seemed to be the longest, busiest and most gruelling and the one where all the bugs and colds were circulating. Year 11 was particularly busy. At Elmhurst, there was a Christmas lunch, Christmas Fair and Carol Service, all of which were lovely and fun and normal and a definite festive feel about the place. In any case, I would have no issue with a bit of winding down at the end of term, especially this one, as these young people work very hard.

• Like 3

Sarahw- I remember worrying about this last year and feeling Yr 11 DD did not need endless days off considering early Jan auditions. There really isn't a lot of provision over Christmas so DD did Danceworks in London, stretched, did pilates and swam every day she wasn't dancing. This year we have the opposite problem. She is doing a Nutcracker and it is a gruelling 12 hour day.  

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 20:16, mnemo said:

Enjoy it while you can, if you can. Dc do not stay this age for very long, and as  the non vocational schools finish around now for Christmas, no-one is at a particular disadvantage when it comes to auditions. This time next year they might be feeling nostalgic when they are doing their end of term ballet assessments, writing essays and not coming home for another 2 weeks.

I agree, DD's Dance school broke-up for the hols last weekend.

Her RAD Grade 7 was today, so she hasn't had any lessons all week!

Academic school broke-up yesterday, holidays now taken up with Panto performances and revising for Mock GCSE's starting the 4th January. 

As long as they use the hols to maintain their strengthening and stretching exercises.  

I do think that after the holidays that all those auditioning early in the new year are on an equal footing (en pointe obviously) in their preparation.

Good Luck to all those that are.