Rbs spring intensive London

Balletlife4me

Great news @coniger (and all others with places). We didn't apply this year after having already committed to a local dance festival the same week but great to hear the success rate may be a little higher than it has been for summer schools. Hopefully the Spring course will become a regular thing 😊

Well, it's finally that hallowed yes after years of rejections or wait list places for my (now not so) little girl's dream to come true.....to get to go to White Lodge! Albeit just for one week at Easter but as it's the oldest group before the Summer courses etc are held in Covent Garden, it is thrilling that she will get to dance in the place she has long dreamed of going to!

Very happy email on Friday.....just the minor issue now of how to raise the not inconsiderable sum....Looking forward to being a Royal mum for a day to watch classes there on the last afternoon :)!

• Like 15

It would appear to be similar to a summer school week with one class of 28 in each year group but mixed girls and boys, with more girls than boys, so slightly less places.  Those on the wait list should hear at the end of next week if they have managed to get a place.  Not sure if Associates were actively encouraged to apply (as with summer school where both Associates and those offered places at WL were encouraged to apply or offered places) or if they are also auditioning for full-time places.  The information is contradictory as to whether both the London and Hong Kong course participants have the opportunity to audition or just the Hong Kong ones.  The spring course takes place well after the finals for WL however they were still offering places at the summer school last year.

Edited by junedancer

On their website it says  ''Both courses offer participants an opportunity during the week to audition for The Royal Ballet School's full-time training.'' if that's any help to anyone! My DD is not a JA but would like to audition for WL in January & has applied. I just wondered on the Spring course is it a formal audition like they do in January or do they just observe you throughout the week??

Just now, Dancer123 said:

On their website it says  ''Both courses offer participants an opportunity during the week to audition for The Royal Ballet School's full-time training.'' if that's any help to anyone! My DD is not a JA but would like to audition for WL in January & has applied. I just wondered on the Spring course is it a formal audition like they do in January or do they just observe you throughout the week??

Yes but if you look in the details of each course underneath it notes this for Hong Kong only.  My understanding about a full time audition is that it is not a separate one but if you are interested they will look at you throughout the week.

2 minutes ago, Dancer123 said:

I am assuming if you auditioned in January & got a No I can't imagine much would change or would you still have a chance on the Spring course??

I wouldn't think so but you never know.  Not sure if it was RBS or Elmhurst but a full-time place was offered after summer school to someone who was a no at the audition round.  There is nothing to be lost by exposure to those who are on audition panels - one day they may see something they like that they have missed before.

• Like 1

I read it as only Hong Kong gave the opportunity to audition (which makes sense based on distance & likely home location of participants there) & actually am glad that the week at WL won't get overtaken with the added pressure & distraction of seeing at as audition. Just want DD to have a great time dancing with kids from other schools/places & experiencing teachers new to her  & all that that will bring!

JA's are generally encouraged to apply I think & as they do not have to pay the £27 application fee am sure it's a no brainer to send in those pics! I had heard from a WL mum that they were actively encouraged to apply for both the Easter & Summer courses (indeed comment was they felt quite pressured to do so). No idea if this will mean many are WL full timers on course or not but either way just feel so happy for those non WL kids who will get to experience it & live out their dreams - even if only for a week! :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coniger said:

Hi Peanut68

my son is a JA and we still had to pay the fee and no one was encouraged to apply.

Coniger

We paid the application fee for my JA DD too. We did get email reminders about applying for WL and SS, and encouragement to apply for WL, but I don’t think DD is at any advantage over other children. All SS applications are assessed on photos only xx

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is still to book a hotel for the night before the spring intensive at WL, just a heads up that you may want to do it soon. Loads of the hotels nearby are either full if you want a family room, or have very few rooms left, prob with more organised parents than myself and also the coinciding with easter hols!