Project Polunin's SATORI - Coliseum, December 2017

Very interesting matinee today.  The Neumeier piece was amazing, Reilley and Badenes were great again, the rest was fine, Polunin was on good form.

Satori is better on second viewing.  While the choreography is quite passable (still better that anything Pita's ever done), I enjoyed the dancing very much.  So all in all, not a bad program at all. 

• Like 4

There are indeed those who seem to go to the ballet on occasion just because it's 'the thing to do' - and some of them do unfortunately seem to be the most crashing snobs.  I have certainly been on the wrong end of a sharp elbow in a fur coat at the ROH main entrance ( don't remind me)  and  Janet's examples are perfectly horrible: it is a sad state of affairs that there is so much snobbery in this country still.

But I would imagine the people who criticised some aspects of Polunin's show were not being 'ballet snobs', they were just ballet lovers who didn't like what they saw or parts of what they saw.

Opinion on his latest show seems pretty evenly divided on this thread.

• Like 7

I attended the performance last night (i got a discounted ticket from londontheatredirect - £35 tkt for £21) and enjoyed most of the first act which seemed a little long - I wasn't blown away by Satori but thought it was better than "walking in the sand" at Sadlers. 

However, today I was lucky enough to attend (by the kindness of Bluebird on this forum who could not use her ticket) and thoroughly enjoyed the performances - I agree with ENBlover, that Satori is better on second viewing).

As far as snobbery goes, we all have our likes and dislikes, and even prejudices - for me snobbery is that sneering tone where the "snob" thinks their opinion is the best and anyone who disagrees is "less than" and this can absolutely happen in any genre.   I learn more from reading the posts on this forum and enjoying the disagreements and not disrepecting anyone, and long may it continue. 

Best wishes to all for Christmas and New Year. 

• Like 9