poodle

Yes, there  are a number of threads and a number of  regular posters have attended. 

They do fill up quickly especially the summer one ,  watch the actual TBR website closely  ... in the  second week of January  as the spring date(s)  and the summer  date  may well  appear there  if I know the  workings of HBs  mind ... last year the August date  was full  by mid  Feb  ( but some  places did  come up on the watign list but not until quite close to the  dates -  how do i know this  ?   the 'old' me  made it onto August's  from that waiting list  )

i don't think it;s  crass or boastful to suggest that the teaching is world class  and the venues are  world class as well.  that said it;s  also extremely accessible  and David Kierce  has  the ability to be teaching   at Advanced / Pro level  one minute and the next minute be teaching someone who  is a genuine  beginner . 

the  Leeds ones  are fabulous  for the space  in the Northern Ballet  Building  - August;s  we basically had the run of the building  for the weekend  meaning  our 'company class'  was in the Stanley and Audrey Barton Theatre   in Studio mode   ( 30 metre * 15 metre  usable floor space in  studio configuration ...    even with the divider across it;s 15 *15  as  are 6 of the ?7  'numbered' studios in the building ...  can't comment on  the London edition  using Rambert Studios  but @sophie_rebecca could as she's done at least one of the London TBRs  if not more ...  Leedsi n august we also had the  advantage of  Andrew Dunlop as  pianist - he is one of Northern;s company pianists  ... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi BalletCoers

Is anyone on here doing the Leeds TBR on the 6 and 7th of Jan and staying at the Ibis Budget hotel close by, as I will be there, arriving at the Ibis late Friday afternoon. If anyone wants to meet up for a drink / evening meal Friday evening, just drop me a PM.

I'm not sure what rep we are doing as Hannah hasn't give much away, according to Hannah those details will be given no later than two days before the retreat starts. However what has been disclosed is "At the moment it’s between Don Q with fans, or one of the Sleeping Beauty fairies solo".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michelle_Richer said:

Hi BalletCoers

Is anyone on here doing the Leeds TBR on the 6 and 7th of Jan and staying at the Ibis Budget hotel close by, as I will be there, arriving at the Ibis late Friday afternoon. If anyone wants to meet up for a drink / evening meal Friday evening, just drop me a PM.

I'm not sure what rep we are doing as Hannah hasn't give much away, according to Hannah those details will be given no later than two days before the retreat starts. However what has been disclosed is "At the moment it’s between Don Q with fans, or one of the Sleeping Beauty fairies solo".

Hannah likes to keep people guessing with the rep ...  I personally think it;s all part of the fun . 

i'm  going to be in Leeds from sometime on Friday  as  it;s also LFF  and a chance to catch up with some of the even more colourful than the ballet lot  ... 

i'm staying in  the travelodge  on Blayd's Yard  (  for those who  were at August's TBR it;s  the one above where some of us went  for the Thai meal on the Sunday) 

On 24/12/2017 at 21:18, Michelle_Richer said:

Hi BalletCoers

I may have been begging Hannah for a Sleeping Beauty Fairies solos for the past 2 TBR's so fingers crossed!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Love the fairy variations even though most are devilishly fast ...in fact I think my favourite is THE fastest one! It may be the song bird fairy one?

Ah you mean the Canari qui chante

Fairys

•Candide (Candor)
•Coulante, Fleur de farine (Flowing, Wheat flour)
•Miettes qui tombent (Falling breadcrumbs)
•Canari qui chante (Singing canary)
•Violente (Force)
•The Lilac Fairy.
•Carabosse, the evil fairy.
•The Gold, Silver, Sapphire, and Diamond Fairies

I guess if any of the Fairies are chosen it will be from the first 6, but I guess I will find out next week as it could equally be something from Don Q. I'm looking forward to my annual pilgrimage tomorrow for ENB's Nutcracker workshop on the Coliseum stage.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

Yes they are all a bit devilish but they are really good at toning them down but still keeping them enjoyable / a challenge.

Past variations are Gamzatti from La Bayadere & the Blue Bird form Sleeping Beauty (that was hard!) 

Canari qui chante always makes me laugh, her role is brilliant & it reminds me of me if I drink coffee :D 

• Like 3

It's interesting that I'm attracted to this variation as I'm about the least suited person to do this as you can think of!

its not just being taller ....I'm just not that quick a mover when it comes to it! But still love having a go and it is a particularly great satisfaction if can finish bang on time with the music....about one in twenty goes!! 

Ive only learned the unadulterated version once ....mostly they are adapted ...but learning these variations just gives you so much greater respect for the professionals!! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sophie_rebecca said:

Yes they are all a bit devilish but they are really good at toning them down but still keeping them enjoyable / a challenge.

Past variations are Gamzatti from La Bayadere & the Blue Bird form Sleeping Beauty (that was hard!) 

Canari qui chante always makes me laugh, her role is brilliant & it reminds me of me if I drink coffee :D 

i think that is part of what makes TBR so enjoyable , the fact that   David ,  Hannah  and co  who make up the  faculty   know just  how to pitch stuff to make it accessible  but  not to seem  that  it's being dumbed down for the sake of it.  

Edited by Nicola H
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pixiewoo said:

I hope everyone had a lovely time.

I was waiting at Northern Ballet this evening for DD to finish at Renaissance Scholars, and saw everyone come out. It definitely looked like you all had a great time. 😊  

Hi Pixie, yes we did  thank you ! 

• Like 2

Yes is was one of the best yet, the atmosphere was just brilliant, everyone's lovely but there are so many regulars who only see each other at TBR's that as the year has gone on everyone's gotten to know each other a little better & it's like a family reunion each time, was lovely to meet Michelle too but with so much dance we didn't get a lot of time to chat, hope everyone is still moving today ;)

• Like 2

Sophie makes a valid point about   the days themselves being full , even if  we aren't chased out of the building at  the end of day  there's still not a huge amount of time  for  chatting   especially  when  you  want to catch up with so many  different people. 

perhaps once we know  who is going to which  of the rest of the years  we can  be a bit more  pro active in developing the social side  instead of  people starbursting  away   ... ( obviously some  people have got things to get  back  do  ( partners,  kids,  dogs  etc ) 

but  another fabulous weekend and a  last minute treat on Saturday  due to faculty travel  difficulties ... 

I think another few dates dropped into,my email box today in March, June and October 2018

There are three in London at the fab Rambert studios so will definitely do one of them in either March or June

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I think another few dates dropped into,my email box today in March, June and October 2018

There are three in London at the fab Rambert studios so will definitely do one of them in either March or June

plus  the Leeds dates are coming on Friday  as well  although i strongly suspect that one of those will be the  august bank holiday weeked for  the three day  version 

• Like 1

Yes Sophie I agree the atmosphere was brilliant, there were dancer there I had met before and of course the lovely Andrew on the piano. The workshop itself was brilliant, however in saying that, if I had full disclosure of the style of the Kitri variation from Act 3, I would never have attended it. There are two fairly distinct styles for that variation, one with attitude turns and buree’s the other with Grand jete’s. I had actually run through the attitude version several time and loved it. I was reluctant with the Grand jete style as my right leg hadn’t fully recovered from injury.

It wasn’t until half way through Saturday it became clear which style we were dancing. It sort of started off ok, then my right leg with the developpe that followed the grand jete became weaker and weaker and I could barely lift it by the end of the day. In the evening I ran through the developpe and passé section in my bedroom (as you do), there was next to no strength left. I forced the developpe as best as I could, the thigh muscle went solid into a very nasty cramp, my thought then was if to continue the next day and risk re-injury or not.

The next morning I was very undecided weather to continue and risk it, or just go in and say my goodbyes and leave.  I guess I ended up with a halfway solution, I told Hannah and David of my injury and I decided to do what I could, but knowing the risk could cost me months of recovery having already been off ballet since the last injury for 4 month and had to pull out of our last show.

Luckily I did everything to the end and survived and only minor cramping taking place on the last 20minutes of the train journey home.

I even managed body conditioning and ballet the following Monday morning but I ached like hell.

Conclusion, TBR a brilliant weekend with lovely people.

• Like 2