Northern Ballet School (Manchester) audition

balletbean

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Northern Ballet School (Manchester) audition
14 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Oops. Yes. Sorry I’m so used to writing initials for the schools. 😒

I worked for an organisation that spoke almost exclusively in TLAs.  People are always asking me what I am talking about!

I've amended the title for people who don't understand the TLA!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Miracle said:

I have a DD in 3rd year at Northern Ballet School and I am happy to answer any questions on pm.x

Thank you Miracle, I would love to hear anything and everything you are happy to share, either here or PM. Has your DD stayed at New Medlock? :)

• 1 month later...
On 14/12/2017 at 20:23, Shellz said:

Hi 

my daughter also got accepted. Am hoping to find soneine she auditioned with so she has a familiar face. I am new to the forum so please be patient with me 

Hi Shellz, I have an audition on the 5th Feb! I was wondering if you could tell me how long roughly the audition lasted as I have no idea when to book the ticket for a train home! :)

• Like 1

On 16/12/2017 at 15:57, Miracle said:

I have a DD in 3rd year at Northern Ballet School and I am happy to answer any questions on pm.x

could I have possibly have some info on how your DD has found Northern and more about the school please? I have an audition coming up and it's one of the places I really would LOVE to go to! any info would be much appreciated xxx

On 17/01/2018 at 11:57, Balletaddict said:

Hi Shellz, I have an audition on the 5th Feb! I was wondering if you could tell me how long roughly the audition lasted as I have no idea when to book the ticket for a train home! :)

Hi. Audition started with registration at 11.45am. Seated in the little cafe at the school. Then met by very friendly staff for a tour of the school. About 14/15 students some with both parents but many just accompanied by the one. Tour incl studios and viewing a ballet and jazz class in session. Then the other associated rooms incl physio. Very relaxed. General Q & A session in their theatre by the Principal. About the school, funding etc. We had the opportunity to watch briefly a rehearsal of a PDD of the upcoming Nutcracker by the 3rd yr pupils. Return to cafe. Girls taken off to get changed for lessons. Parents in were invited to stay for the duration or visit the accommodation block nearby. 

1hr Ballet 1/2hr Pointe. Slight break then jazz. None of the girls changed clothing for Jazz even though my DD had packed alternative black tights and coloured leotard. Majority wore black plain leotards a couple in the blue RAD leotard and my DD wore maroon. No embellishment or lace. 

We were all given a rough time to return. to the cafe. The girls came back and were gradually called individually for physical assessment then interview with Principal and Deputy. End of day was about 4.30pm.

Sorry can’t provide info on trains as we had a taxi from the airport. 

8 day wait for acceptance letter by post. 

We both loved the school, ethos and general vibe that we felt immediately upon arrival. 

Good Luck. 😊🙆‍♀️

• Like 1

6 hours ago, balletbean said:

Hi. Audition started with registration at 11.45am. Seated in the little cafe at the school. Then met by very friendly staff for a tour of the school. About 14/15 students some with both parents but many just accompanied by the one. Tour incl studios and viewing a ballet and jazz class in session. Then the other associated rooms incl physio. Very relaxed. General Q & A session in their theatre by the Principal. About the school, funding etc. We had the opportunity to watch briefly a rehearsal of a PDD of the upcoming Nutcracker by the 3rd yr pupils. Return to cafe. Girls taken off to get changed for lessons. Parents in were invited to stay for the duration or visit the accommodation block nearby. 

1hr Ballet 1/2hr Pointe. Slight break then jazz. None of the girls changed clothing for Jazz even though my DD had packed alternative black tights and coloured leotard. Majority wore black plain leotards a couple in the blue RAD leotard and my DD wore maroon. No embellishment or lace. 

We were all given a rough time to return. to the cafe. The girls came back and were gradually called individually for physical assessment then interview with Principal and Deputy. End of day was about 4.30pm.

Sorry can’t provide info on trains as we had a taxi from the airport. 

8 day wait for acceptance letter by post. 

We both loved the school, ethos and general vibe that we felt immediately upon arrival. 

Good Luck. 😊🙆‍♀️

Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful! I'm very excited for the audition but also very nervous... but by the sounds of it, it sounds a very enjoyable day! Good luck to your DD, I hope the outcome is what she is hoping for!! and thank you Xx

9 hours ago, Balletaddict said:

Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful! I'm very excited for the audition but also very nervous... but by the sounds of it, it sounds a very enjoyable day! Good luck to your DD, I hope the outcome is what she is hoping for!! and thank you Xx

Thank you. It was my DD’s first choice, first audition and offer. 😊🙆‍♀️  

Good luck. 😃

• Like 3

Hi all, I just thought I would post this on this feed as this is the most relevant place. I had my NBS audition on Monday and found the experience of others useful in preparation and so here is a link to a blog post I have written on my experience on my ballet blog that I hope will be of use to some of you. <3

https://dancemoredances.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/northern-ballet-school-audition.html

• Like 5

Really enjoyed reading your blog @WillowBallerina My DD is 18 as well and she is currently doing her A levels. She has applied for Rambert, LSC, NBS, Middlesex And Roehampton Universities. She has been offered a place at NBS which she has accepted, if she gets a DaDa award!! Unfortunately she didn’t get through to the second audition at Rambert but she really enjoyed every minute of the audition. 

Her LSC audition is this Saturday so your blog regarding this audition was very helpful. Thank you 

Good luck with the rest of your auditions and hope you get good news from NBS. 

• Like 1

Thank you @Ellie1304  , I'm so glad that it was helpful! Good luck to her! Congratulations on NBS and will keep my fingers crossed that she gets a DADA - for me it would be the same if I received an offer. That's a shame about Rambert, I've gathered from those I've talked to about it is that it has been the hardest one they've been to and that not many get through on their first time auditioning. 

It's great to hear from someone else that's doing it at my age too as most people are yr11/12, wouldn't be cool if we ended up at the same place!

Thank you for the wishes. Tell her to be relaxed about LSC as they were very calm in the process and the teachers were very nice. <3

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

my daughter also got accepted. Am hoping to find soneine she auditioned with so she has a familiar face. I am new to the forum so please be patient with me 

Hi 

Have sent you a pm Shellz 

• 1 year later...

My 17 year old daughter has been accepted into the Northern Ballet School. We currently live in Australia and my daughter is considering moving to study there. She is hoping for excellent classical training, I would appreciate any information or contact from anyone who may be of help.

Thanks 

Although there is some good training at Northern Ballet School with a variety of disciplines taught, recent graduates are finding work in more general dance genres and not classical ballet.  Several other members of this board have direct experience of this school and may be able to add more.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Sp
  • Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Northern Ballet School (Manchester)

My DD went to NBS some years ago, so my knowledge may be out of date now, but I can share my thoughts.

It is true that the majority of graduates do not get work in classical companies, but that needs to be considered in the context that the intake is split into 'Classical Focus' and 'Jazz Focus', with the majority on Jazz Focus.  I think there were maybe 6-10 girls on classical in my DD's year and 20 on Jazz.  

My experience was that the dancers they trained were employable and realistic about how to make a living as a dancer.  A lot do cruise ship work, which infact is what my DD ended up doing, which can be a steady, reliable career with the added perks of international travel.

I think that in my DD's year everyone who wanted to work as a professional dancer at the end of the course (which was most of them) was employed as a dancer within 6 months or so of graduation.

I feel that Manchester is a great place for students.  Not as hectic, big and expensive as London, but there is lots going on.  And there is an International Airport near Manchester.  

• Like 1