The Royal Ballet: Sylvia, London, November 2017

Many thanks for the photos, especially Lauren Cuthbertson and Reece Clarke, I think I was on such a high after seeing them on Wednesday that I didn't appreciate Friday's as much as I should have, although Vadim Muntagirov's dancing was heavenly as always, still have next week and Natalia Osipova/Federico Bonelli  to go. I was thinking that I would love to see Yuhui Choe and Yasmine Naghdi as Sylvia also! Didn't catch the cast changes on Friday, think they were small roles at the end including Fumi Kaneko.

• Like 1

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Beryl H said:

Didn't catch the cast changes on Friday, think they were small roles at the end including Fumi Kaneko.

Fumi Kaneko replaced Tierney Heap as one of Sylvia's Attendants in Act 1.

Annette Buvoli and Leticia Dias replaced Helen Crawford and Tierney Heap as Attendants in Act 3.

David Donnelly replaced Benjamin Ella as Apollo in Act 3 (with Lara Turk who was listed on the cast sheet).

The cast change notices were not available in some locations before the show and were then difficult to find in the intervals. However, they were inaccurate and an announcement was made to correct the misinformation, which itself caused confusion.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

I find Vadim's costume indescribably awful.  I appreciate it is part of the piece, etc. etc., but really - ghastly doesn't come close.

The first-act one is distinctly meh (such a weird shade), but the other one's all right - suits the rest of the designs, and goes nicely with Sylvia's.  Muntagirov didn't seem to suffer as badly with "tutu rash" as other Amintas I've seen in the role.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Annette Buvoli and Leticia Dias replaced Helen Crawford and Tierney Heap as Attendants in Act 3.

David Donnelly replaced Benjamin Ella as Apollo in Act 3 (with Lara Turk who was listed on the cast sheet).

The cast change notices were not available in some locations before the show and were then difficult to find in the intervals. However, they were inaccurate and an announcement was made to correct the misinformation, which itself caused confusion.

Many thanks!!

On 12/4/2017 at 16:17, capybara said:

Not quite right.

Kaneko replaced Heap as an attendant in acts 1 and 3; Buvoli & Dias replaced Crawford and Turk as attendants in act 3.

Turk and Donnelly replaced Kaneko and Ella as Terpsichore and Apollo.

The cast change slip said Kaneko and Donnelly replaced Turk and Ella, which was the  error as the cast sheet said Kaneko & Ella (see above).  It also omitted Dias replacing Turk.

• Like 2

Great to see Lauren Cuthbertson on such good form tonight: I think possibly the best performance I have seen her give-  relaxed, confident, and sparkling, as required by this demanding role: super.  I must say I did find her characterisation somehow more convincing and meaningful than Nunez's, superb as Nunez's dancing was.

Reece Clarke seems to be fulfilling all the promise as one might have hoped; what a good debut in the role- and what stage presence this young man has. Must mention David Donnelly as a very elegant Eros, certainly looked right in the part. Kish's Orion seemed appropriately menacing.

I thoroughly enjoyed this lovely production again and only wish it were a longer run or coming back next year...and if only there was a live screening to enjoy it up close....there is so much to enjoy. I love all the costumes and scenery and especially the slightly kitsch extravagance of some of it..

The over crowded, boiling hot train packed with dishevelled 'revellers' rustling Macdonald's and pastie boxes was a sad contrast to the beautiful scenes at ROH!

• Like 12

Of all the costumes, the ones I love best are the dresses for, I think, the Spring attendants (or are they Summer?): coral underskirts with green on top.  Just lovely.

By the way, am I the only one who finds herself expecting the music to segue into various items from Manon at times?  (Mind you, the first time I went I thought there was a near-Mayerling bit in the overture somewhere, too)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mary said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this lovely production again and only wish it were a longer run or coming back next year...and if only there was a live screening to enjoy it up close....there is so much to enjoy. I love all the costumes and scenery and especially the slightly kitsch extravagance of some of it..

I couldn't get to any of these performances, so I second that.  

• Like 2

Muntagirov was superb (again), and partnered really well. They couldn't have had much rehearsal time, so all the more impressive. Osipova danced WAY better (to my eyes) then her first show - no mishaps, or fluffed steps, this time. Still makes it look harder than Cuthbertson or Nunez make it look though

Hope Sylvia comes back soon - and we get to see some of the new principals dancing it

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Shade said:

Going by previous experience Osipova tends to get better with each performance. 

I think that is why some of us are waiting for her last performance to pass comment. It seems unfair to compare an artist's debut performance with other more experienced proponents of both the Ashton style and the actual ballet.

I will say now though, if that is what Osipova and Muntagirov can produce at short notice, I can only hope they will be paired together more frequently in the future.

• Like 4

I have been waiting to comment until I had seen all three casts: now I have (but not Bonelli!).

I fell in love with Sylvia when it was revived in 2003/4 and ended up kicking myself that I hadn’t invested in more tickets. I wasn’t going to make that mistake again   .

This is a ballet which should be, and indeed often rightly is, all about the lead ballerina. But that wasn’t altogether the case this time – but back to that later.

All three Sylvias danced strongly and gave us different sides of the character in each act. For me, in Act 1, Cuthbertson was forcefully ‘amazonian’. Osipova was vigorous but somehow less dominant until she was hurtfully rejecting of Aminta’s adoration. Nunez was softer while ‘having a ball’ with her attendants and being disdainful of Aminta. In Act 2, I felt that Cuthbertson’s characterisation of fear and seductiveness was spot on whereas the facial expressions from Nunez and Osipova offered less contrast between being scared and being alluring. For Act 3, all three artists danced with the kind of aplomb associated with a celebration of love and Osipova seemed to add pleasing little nuances to her solo. However, Cuthbertson and Nunez appeared to relate more to the people around them on stage. Indeed, throughout the ballet, both of them came across as ‘real’, and I liked them for that.

I have seen some negative comment about Hirano as Orion but he transmitted to me more powerfully than either Soares (an experienced baddie) or Kish (so glad for him that he is back on stage). But I enjoyed all three – along, of course, with the Slaves (well done to the fleet-footed David Yudes) and, later, the Goats (especially the coquettish Anna Rose O’Sullivan) and the Dianas (Mendizabal, Crawford and Calvert).

Now to the ‘main man’. As I think I said earlier in this thread, Aminta is so often a cypher and can so easily end up being little more that a partner in socks and skirts. But, this time, things were very different.

Reece Clarke was ‘the complete package’. With his height, he would be difficult to miss on stage but he delivered a believable character, danced beautifully and partnered attentively. His stagecraft is splendid,  giving no hint that he is not yet a Principal, and he and Lauren look good together.

As for Vadim Muntagirov........He was simply awesome. His first plaintive solo is danced with a rare eloquent beauty and, despite that and his ‘princely’ track record, he is totally convincing as a lowly shepherd in love. In Act 3, his fabulous technique was on glorious display in Aminta’s variation, last night garnering more cheers and applause than Sylvia’s solo which precedes it. And, added to that, his partnering of both Nunez and Osipova in what is generally reckoned to be a complex pdd has been impeccable. What a truly wonderful artist he is!

So, if I were a critic and wanted to give a review of Sylvia an appropriate headline it would be, “Luminous Muntagirov steals the show!” I am so glad for him that both the formal reviews and the comments online have been unanimous and fulsome  in their praise.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 15

Vadim Muntagirov certainly stole last night's show as far as I was concerned, he looked happy and relaxed and danced and partnered like a dream again, and deservedly got the most applause of the evening after his solo, thought the audience a little muted overall. Lauren Cuthbertson was my favourite Sylvia of the three, with two outstanding Aminta's from Reece Clarke and Vadim Muntagirov, they both transformed  a role that hasn't always been highly thought of. Really glad now that I braved the weather and travel warnings yesterday, didn't want to miss Sylvia!

• Like 14

Interesting to hear peoples thoughts about the Osipova/Muntagirov partnership as, like many others I've been hoping to see them together but it's never happened before. I know this is not a true test as the partnership was very last minute but how did those members who saw them together think they gelled as a partnership? Was it a partnership you would go and see again? Would it be worth repeating as a scheduled partnership? I'm going to the Saturday matinee and keep wondering if I'll see it again when they've had more chance to rehearse together( though I love Bonelli as a dancer also and would be more than happy to see him. Certainly don't want to wish anyone to remain injured longer than they have to.)

• Like 1

May I say a little yay?  Not meaning to disrespect Federico Bonelli, but Muntagirov is so lovely in the role, and I have only seen him once.....

Meanwhile, I hope that Federico recovers very quickly from whatever injury he has, and certainly in time for Giselle if not Nutcracker.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GailR said:

ROH casting showing Vadim Muntagirov partnering Osipova on Saturday matinee.

WOW!! A dream come true to see the 2 of them together but I just wished it hadn't happened like this and I hope Federico recovers soon. I intend to book for his and Laura's Manon on the strength of seeing their amazing Frankenstein and even more amazing Mayerling. Their Manon should be really special.

• Like 2

I thought they were wonderful together on Monday...especially at such short notice. Osipova seemed to have a much greater connection with Muntagirov, especially in the final pdd. I wish Federico a speedy recovery, but am delighted we get the opportunity to see Vadim and Natalia again 

• Like 3

Now feeling a little bit bereft having just completed my run of Sylvias at this morning's very lovely matinee.  I have been lucky enough to see all three casts (sadly not Bonelli this time round) and, thanks to earlier postings, realise I have been lucky to see every cast since the ballet's revival several years ago. This is going to sound extremely bland but, looking back, I've loved every performance I've seen. Yes, there are standouts (Muntagirov of course, for example) but I do agree with the person above who commented that this ballet is almost dancer proof. Given it's demands it shouldn't be - but there is so much to enjoy time after time: the music, the costumes, the sets, yes, the silliness of the story but above all the wonderful choreography - there is so much in there that you see new things every performance. I am surprised every time that a second act of only 20 minutes makes you feel you've seen an amazing amount of dancing. Do hope that we don't have to wait too long to see it again but hope the gap is long enough to fall in love with the ballet all over again.  And thank you to three lovely Sylvias, two fantastic Amintas and assorted goats, Dianas etc. I've loved every minute!

Finally had to pop into the box office after the performance only to see Bonelli in there. No idea what his injury is but no outward sign of anything major. I shouldn't really make personal comments but no-one will be surprised that he was his usual extremely courteous self in a very busy box office!

• Like 9

I’ve just been to the matinee too. It’s years since I’ve seen Silvia and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It does have a 50’s feel but it is fun, beautiful and obviously taxing choreography. Osipova and Muntagirov made it look easy, which was a joy to watch. I also really appreciated they were cast for the matinee as it was the only Silvia I could make. Best wishes go to Bonelli for a speedy recovery. 

• Like 4

Have seen 3 different Sylvia casts and enjoyed them all in slightly different ways. I loved the ballet itself and didn't really notice the rather thin, outlandish plot because there is so much to enjoy in the sets, costumes, lighting and choreography, and above all the wonderful music and high standard of dancing and acting. I thought Marianella scored more as a vamp in the second act; you could really 'see' her working out how to play it to get Thiago drunk. But she was also really strong in the first act and lyrical in the last. Reece Clark was a revelation in the second cast I saw. Difficult to believe he is only a soloist; surely promotion due next summer. He reminded me slightly of Jonathan Cope. Valentino Zucchetti was brilliant as Eros but I also enjoyed seeing Fernando Montanez today and glad to have seen him in a solo role at last. (He may have had others but I don't remember seeing him.) I don't think his walk was quite as 'pantomime' and funny as Valentino's but it was still a great performance. Finally, what can I say about today's principals'? For me, everything came together to make it a magical, unforgettable performance. Vadim danced like a dream; such style and elegance. he made so much out of relatively little. I loved Osipova's performance (apart from a six o'clock' extension she did near the start which I'm sure Ashton wouldn't choreograph for Fonteyn).The Osipova/Muntagirov partnership was everything I'd hoped for over the years and I hope we haven't seen the end of it. I do love seeing Vadim with Marianella but if he could partner Osipova occasionally that would be great. It perhaps wasn't a great ballet to form a partnership as they only have one pas de deux  but you wouldn't think they have had such a short rehearsal time together.  I can only regret the lack of more Ashton this season and hope that will be remedied next season. it would be brilliant to have a Christmas Ashton double bill, perhaps with Pigeons and Patineurs.

The 3 wonderful performances I've seen of this ballet makes me realise all the more what a criminal decision it was not to film it and release it on dvd or possibly even on tv. If you click on the link on the ROH news page about the broadcasting of Boheme over Christmas there is a sentence at the bottom that says 'The ROH and the BBC are partners'. Really?? Haven't seen any sign of that recently. In fact I can't remember a time when so little RB has been broadcast by the BBC. They seem to have taken to producing docs rather than full ballets. This is despite all the cinema broadcasts so the BBC wouldn't even have to film them. I know there are always problems with rights and contracts but presumably this has always been the case. Hopefully Sylvia won't be allowed to languish unperformed for another 7 years and next time it will be broadcast so the world can see this great ballet. In the meantime I'll have to make do with my memories, especially of today. For me, Christmas really did come early.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

They seem to have taken to producing docs rather than full ballets

it would have been good if they had done this for the recent MacMillan celebrations. It seems that while music is pretty well covered, particularly during the Proms, ballet and theatre get very poor coverage.

• Like 1

Today was the first time I've seen Sylvia and I loved everything about it, especially that it makes no claim to be anything other than a beautiful thing to look at.

Fonteyn was before my time, and I've never seen footage of her Sylvia, but I wonder if those who saw her could tell me if I'm being fanciful: I had the curious sensation watching Osipova today that I was seeing a sort of "tracing" of Fonteyn (not really the right word as it implies that Osipova was not full of her customary dynamism, which she certainly was). I've never had that feeling before - do I make any sense? And if I do is it particular to this role?

Apart from that: Muntagirov was just as fabulous as everyone said (I too would love to see him partner Osipova more) and of the rest of the cast Anna Rose O'Sullivan's goat really stood out.

• Like 4