Christmas television?

33 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Oh dear.... perhaps SkyArts will show something though I'm not holding my breath.

What about Northern Ballet's Casanova? has that not been filmed?

Yes it was but we are still waiting with bated breath to hear when it will be shown!!  Just as well I'm not holding my breath...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, David said:

Initial press releases include:

BBC2 Matthew Bourne's Cinderella;

BBC4 Richard Jones' new production of La Boheme at the Royal Opera

BBC1 Darcey Bussell - Looking for Fred Astaire

Oh god - I'm not feeling enthusiastic about the Bussell "docu", her voice - and not to mention how she always has to mention her own career. And I love Astaire too.

• Like 8

The Xmas Double issue of the Radio Times will run from Saturday, 23rd Dec and I'm told the official on-sale date is from Saturday, 9th December “in certain parts of the country”. I guess it might start to appear a little earlier than that in some places – it usually does! And other TV listings magazines will also be appearing so not too long to wait!

• Like 1

Thanks, David.  I just picked up the new Radio Times in the supermarket and was flicking through it to try and find that very information - but couldn't!  Nice to know they're not trying to rip us off again this year.

• Like 1

It seems to me the BBC have taken their usual programs and tacked "Christmas Special" onto the title in an attempt to fool us.

Actually, I'm pleased the schedule is mostly tripe - I might be able to get through my ever growing pile of DVDs. :)

• Like 4

Anyway, the best way to celebrate the genius of Fred Astaire, and to enjoy Christmas, is to tuck up with a glass of Harvey's Bristol Cream, a mince pie, and a boxed set of Fred and Ginger ( start with Top Hat and Shall We Dance).

it doesn't get muhc  better than that.

• Like 5

Thanks for the reminder trog, I spent a happy afternoon watching this - though speeding forward some of the daft plot business to the fabulous dance. To think he was - what, 56? - is quite amazing.  The 'Something's Gotta Give' sequence is great. Astaire is an under rated singer I think: he had beautiful phrasing,  timing, taste -and class. Caron is superb- and still with us which is cheering. The ballet sequence reminded me a bit of La Valse!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2017 at 23:58, Sharon said:

Oh god - I'm not feeling enthusiastic about the Bussell "docu", her voice - and not to mention how she always has to mention her own career. And I love Astaire too.

As long as she doesn't try to recreate his dances.....😱

• Like 6

9 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

The ROH website has just told us that we are getting the new Boheme on Christmas Day, and a repeat of last year's programme about Francesca Heyward and the Nutcracker. And that's it!! So order your DVDs, fit out your old videos or whatever and enjoy!

I love opera but ballet on Christmas Day is SO much more festive! What a shame. Why a repeat? As if they don't have anything else to show us... :(

• Like 3

I don't expect this to be a popular opinion around here, but though I'd love to see a more varied programme of ballet on the BBC, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to show a repeat of the (in my view excellent) Nutcracker documentary.  And I'd rather a a few viewers stumbled across this repeat and went to the ballet as a consequence than the BBC gratified what is, let's face it, a rather niche audience.

Though I'd far rather it weren't an either/or, of course.

Better than nothing. The best attitude to adopt to ballet on TV these days seems to be - not to expect much, in order not to be disappointed..

It would have been appropriate, and nice,  to have something on the year's Macmillan celebrations, featuring all the UK ballet companies.

• Like 7

Not all of it ballet, but big chunks of dance:-
There's Moira Shearer in the film The Red Shoes at 12.10pm on BBC2 on Wednesday 27th December.
Channel 5, at 1.05pm on Christmas Day, has Singin in the Rain. And Channel 5 at 9.25am on New Years Day, On the Town with Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra.

Also Christmas Day, 1.40pm on BBC2, this year's semi-staged Prom of Oklahoma(with Robbie Fairchild showing how it should be done!).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MargaretN7 said:

Not all of it ballet, but big chunks of dance:-
There's Moira Shearer in the film The Red Shoes at 12.10pm on BBC2 on Wednesday 27th December.
Channel 5, at 1.05pm on Christmas Day, has Singin in the Rain. And Channel 5 at 9.25am on New Years Day, On the Town with Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra.

Also Christmas Day, 1.40pm on BBC2, this year's semi-staged Prom of Oklahoma(with Robbie Fairchild showing how it should be done!).

Some great films - really love On The Town.

20 hours ago, Blossom said:

Happy to hear they are showing the Nutcracker documentary again - I accidentally deleted it from my Sky box!

So did I when I changed to Sky Q. Lost all my recordings so pleased it’s on again.

14 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

So did I when I changed to Sky Q. Lost all my recordings so pleased it’s on again.

that's interesting - they were trying to get me to upgrade to Q, but I said I had too many recording I didn't want to lose. The chap said they 'could do things' with the old hard disk in the old box, such that i could have kept them, or transferred to the new. Sounds like your chap wasn't as helpful (not that I went for Q, as the rest of my tele technology isn't up to that level)

5 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

that's interesting - they were trying to get me to upgrade to Q, but I said I had too many recording I didn't want to lose. The chap said they 'could do things' with the old hard disk in the old box, such that i could have kept them, or transferred to the new. Sounds like your chap wasn't as helpful (not that I went for Q, as the rest of my tele technology isn't up to that level)

Not given the option, he just said “No”.

Early tomorrow morning (Friday) 6.10am to 9am there is a performance on SkyArts of John Neumier's Bach: Christmas Oratorio a Ballet. This is a repeat as it was originally shown last Sunday but that was a first showing so it is new to SkyArts. I'm not convinced it will be for me as I tend not to enjoy sung ballets but I thought I'd mention it.