Sign in to follow this  
Amelia

Sergei Polunin - news and discussions - cont'd

4 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Such a great shame that someone with a Vladimir Putin tattoo on his chest, who posted on Instagram "to slap fat people" and who had a serious go at the gay community gets so much attention.

There are so many wonderful, intelligent, disciplined dancers who have far more interesting messages to send out into the world, constructive messages for our young people... but they barely get any press attention.

Polunin is not a good role model for our young people and as far as I am concerned Polunin has next to nothing wise or constructive or intelligent to say. 

Honestly, this.

And I feel like dancing is one of those things where separating the artist from the person is not at all easy. He'd be out there dancing Spartacus with that hideous tattoo and as an audience, we're supposed to not care? Nah I'll pass. 

There's a bouquet of incredibly talented, charismatic dancers who can project far more positive, enlightening, delightful things onstage than he can. I often feel that Polunin dances for himself anyway, while a lot of other dancers dance with the audience, so to me that's way more valuable. 

• Like 10

I’m starting to be almost as disappointed with Zelensky as I am with Polunin. Even if he wants to remain loyal to him and still feels sorry for him, allowing him to dance is indulging him. I’m not sure how much he’s distanced himself and by association the company from Polunin’s views, or condemned them in the latest press release, but it’s not good. And I was shocked that the Times describes Zelensky as a friend of Putin which is depressing. Sigh...

• Like 8

This Putin stuff is  tough one.  I hold no brief for the master manipulator, but Polunin has every right to support him if that floats his boat.  What bothers me is when he muddles it up with his art.  There is no way a dancer carrying a face of a famous person on their body can ever be fully in character for roles they play.  

• Like 6

On 20/01/2019 at 02:54, Naomi M said:

Now his Instagram account is hacked and has nothing left inside.

https://www.instagram.com/sergeipolunin/

Call me cynical but the timing of the “hack” is interesting...

How long is it going to be before we’re told that he hasn’t posted himself for months; the hackers must have been making the offensive posts and now they’ve deleted everything? 

• Like 7

It's all such a joke and an insult to so many people. Soon the Polunin camp will declare it all Fake News ( Polunin stated he is a Trump supporter after all) and they will state he hasn't said anything at all.

The interview clearly demonstrates Polunin DID say what he said via his Instagram account: he answered the journalist's questions about him saying "to slap fat people" and "to man up". If it wasn't him, Polunin should have made this clear during the interview. He didn't. 

Lasting damage has been done and cannot be smoothed over simply by deleting his Instagram account and pretending for it to have been hacked. 

Edited by Xandra Newman
typo
  • Like 5

I think Sergei's new role is Philosopher and Prophet.  We've had dancer, bad boy, neglected child, film star, model, starlet, impressario, lover, political commentator all interspersed with poor me.

What next?  Engine driver?

• Like 2

There’s a fitting gif/meme used on Twitter - a waiter bearing a tray, saying “Here’s that attention you ordered”.  Surprised nobody posted it on Polunin’s IG account (pre hack).

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Anna C said:

There’s a fitting gif/meme used on Twitter - a waiter bearing a tray, saying “Here’s that attention you ordered”.  Surprised nobody posted it on Polunin’s IG account (pre hack).

The oxygen of publicity is not doing him any good.  If the press, public and audiences just totally ignored him he might find that he actually has to man-up and do some proper work for a living.....be it creative or otherwise.

• Like 8

This is why I think it might be an idea if we stop mentioning him here on Ballet Co Forum.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

There is no way a dancer carrying a face of a famous person on their body can ever be fully in character for roles they play.

Lowering the tone somewhat, I know, but what about his poor girlfriends? Having to gaze at Putin's face must be such a joy during those intimate moments.

• Like 13

I didn't want to comment on this thread anymore but that gave me a chuckle Scheherazade!! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Anna C said:

Call me cynical but the timing of the “hack” is interesting...

How long is it going to be before we’re told that he hasn’t posted himself for months; the hackers must have been making the offensive posts and now they’ve deleted everything? 

Except that he's already admitted the account was hacked and (I think) that the postings were his.

20 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Lowering the tone somewhat, I know, but what about his poor girlfriends? Having to gaze at Putin's face must be such a joy during those intimate moments.

He was actually asked about that by one of the journalists in the interview :)  Perhaps his next girlfriend will share his political views - that may have been what his answer was trying to imply (although since the text is in German and I doubt he speaks the language perhaps we shouldn't judge by it)

2 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

There is so much I could say that would lower the tone even further.....but I can't!!  :)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, alison said:

Except that he's already admitted the account was hacked and (I think) that the postings were his.

Ah, ok. Mind you, people seem to conveniently forget what they’ve said so they can change their mind at a later date and deny all knowledge.

I'm confused....the account was hacked but the postings were his??  That still makes him the one who posted them, not a hacker!

2 hours ago, Douglas Allen said:

Go on, Sim, go on!

Ha ha I'm a moderator, Douglas....I have to set a good example and keep the tone raised inasmuch as is possible!!

• Like 4

Just now, Sim said:

I'm confused....the account was hacked but the postings were his??  That still makes him the one who posted them, not a hacker!

The account was hacked and all postings deleted. What was there before (the controversial posts) were his. 

• Like 2

Yeah right......but thanks for the clarification!

17 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yeah right......

As he seems to be standing by the content of his posts, I’m not sure that he’d bother hacking his own account. He’s that arrogant. And there were plenty of irate people who may have taken on the challenge. 

Either way - the posts were his and he’s certainly not denying them. I think some people may have been hoping against hope that it wasn’t him... 

I don’t know why some of the above is in larger font... 🤪

Edited by Thalia
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Oh my god,  I have just choked on my tea!  That is so funny.  Perhaps that's what he means by 'getting into bed with Putin?'

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 4

I've seen him in Giselle and Spartacus in Munich and found him as a dancer and artist totally overrated. But since the Zelensky takeover the Munich audience seem to cheer everything and everyone indiscriminately. I'll be attending Spartacus in April and hope fervently not to see him there. I won't know how to boo him and cheer for the rest.

Just sorry that he's getting such a lot of attention and other dancers deserving more don't get it.

• Like 11

43 minutes ago, ChMeBa said:

Just sorry that he's getting such a lot of attention and other dancers deserving more don't get it.

............... and wondering how the lovely Laurretta Summerscales, who is one of the most humane and considerate souls, really feels about having to accompany Polunin on his curtain calls?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Oh my god,  I have just choked on my tea!  That is so funny.  Perhaps that's what he means by 'getting into bed with Putin?'

Purleese, Penelope, that is an image that I would rather not think about too deeply!

• Like 1

From what I can see, the Bavarian State Ballet has not added another press release on their web site following on from the statement dated 17  January 2019. They have updated the web site to confirm that Polunin will dance in Spartacus on 25 March 2019 https://www.staatsoper.de/en/your-visit/aktuelles/meldung/news/kommende-gastauftritte.html?no_cache=1&tx_news_pi1%5Baction%5D=detail&cHash=7172bab216e74aacf7728d2af12cb823

There’s another article in the Sueddeutsche Zeitung though that reports on a statement made by the company yesterday in relation to the issue https://www.sueddeutsche.de/muenchen/staatsoper-polunin-darf-weiter-tanzen-1.4298132  and via Google translate (I haven't used this tool before so I hope that both link and translation work as intended) https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sueddeutsche.de%2Fmuenchen%2Fstaatsoper-polunin-darf-weiter-tanzen-1.4298132&sandbox=1

I had stopped following Polunin quite some time ago and only started to read this thread again when the discussions about him dancing in Paris and now in Munich started a few weeks ago. Just as a lot of posters here, I am shocked by his latest tattoo and his recent controversial statements on Instagram.

What also caught my attention in the current situation was how the organisations that cast him have reacted in response to his actions and the ensuing discussions.

POB announcing him well after the tattoo and the posts on Instagram became public, and then withdrawing their invitation shortly afterwards, it seemed to me, following a public outcry.

Munich, what can I say. There’s been a lot of discussion about the content of the statement dated 17 January 2019. The company had also issued an earlier shorter statement which seems to have disappeared from their web site since (I remember reading it at some stage last Thursday, probably at around lunchtime). Posters on dansomanie discussed this earlier version last Thursday, and one of them also provided a translation into English http://www.forum-dansomanie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3496&start=375&sid=6d671cca90b27a34306cb4085ccb12e0. An article by the Bavarian Radio last Thursday also reported on the earlier statement https://www.br.de/nachrichten/kultur/bayerisches-staatsballett-haelt-an-tanz-star-sergei-polunin-fest,RFPPSDb  - and again using Google translate (the layout of the page in the translation looks a bit odd on my laptop, I don’t hope it will affect the translation) https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.br.de%2Fnachrichten%2Fkultur%2Fbayerisches-staatsballett-haelt-an-tanz-star-sergei-polunin-fest%2CRFPPSDb&sandbox=1

If I read the statement dated 17 January 2019 with unease, I found the earlier version even more dreadful. Adding to that the contents of the newest article in the Sueddeutsche Zeitung, the organisation has been going through an internal discussion process, and it'll be interesting to see whether there'll be further announcements following the internal company meeting that the article refers to.   The outcome of all that so far leaves me hugely dissatisfied though. I hadn’t found the programming in Munich particularly interesting anyway, I guess the newest developments just confirm that I won’t be missing anything there.

@ ChMeBa – if the performance of Spartacus that you’ll be attending in April is the one on Apr 1, you’ll be seeing Vladimir Shklyarov :-)

• Like 5

Now THERE is a wonderful dancer and, it seems, a very nice chap who always has time for his fans.

Thanks for the links, Duck.  I will have a read tomorrow.

• Like 5

There's a new statement by the Bavarian State Ballet on their web site

https://www.staatsoper.de/presse/presseinformationen/presse-infos-ballett/mitteilung/news/presseerklaerung-ergaenzung-zur-personalie-sergei-polunin.html?no_cache=1&tx_news_pi1[controller]=News&tx_news_pi1[action]=detail&cHash=174e87ec643f17759ecc72ec0289ba6e    

and via Google translate https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.staatsoper.de%2Fpresse%2Fpresseinformationen%2Fpresse-infos-ballett%2Fmitteilung%2Fnews%2Fpresseerklaerung-ergaenzung-zur-personalie-sergei-polunin.html%3Fno_cache%3D1%26tx_news_pi1%5Bcontroller%5D%3DNews%26tx_news_pi1%5Baction%5D%3Ddetail%26cHash%3D174e87ec643f17759ecc72ec0289ba6e&sandbox=1

I find the last sentence of the second paragraph interesting as this reads as if they genuinely hadn't had the policies and procedures in place to deal with the recent issue (I would have thought that this was a given but maybe I am expecting too much? Not sure how other large-scale cultural organisations are set up in this respect?) and that instead, they did indeed encounter a range of diverging opinions within the organisation (as referred to in the statement dated 17 January 2019 - "For days now we have been talking to one another"). This would then also explain the change from the initial statement (which is no longer on their web site) to the version dated 17 January 2019. 

• Like 1

The audience voted indeed: booking for Spartacus with Sergei Polunin (25. 3. in Munich) started today, nearly sold out in one hour. The Nationaltheater has approximately 2000 places...

• Like 1