Sergei Polunin - news and discussions - cont'd

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Fiz. He's wearing too many clothes in this video and his jacket detracts from his amazing synchronicity with the music. I remember reading something about why male ballet dancers wear dance belts. It was to the effect that when the music stopped every part of the dancers body should stop too! 

The video for 'Take Me to Church' is mesmerising to me because it's a perfect combination of Sergei's artistry and Hozier as a musician.

Bavarian Staatsballet    20 January 2019    

RAYMONDA

Raymonda                   - Ksenia Ryzhkova
Graf Jean de Brienne - Sergei Polunin

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/staatsballett/productioninfo/raymonda/2018-10-10-19-30.html

Edited by Amelia
the link is added
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Polunin has given an interview recently in which he says that he intends to rent a flat in Moscow  and to start en educational programme in schools to teach ballet in a ‘positive way’. He compèred  a gala this Summer in the Crimea, arranged by Zelensky and attended by Putin, and there is a big project afoot to build a ballet school and performing arts centre there: I am sure all these events, including the tattoo, are entirely unconnected ...😉

That is true  for all of his cinematic ventures to date (other than Dancer, of course). He has certainly extracted the maximum from these appearances though, in terms of media exposure.

Edited by BeauxArts
correcting an error

By the way: Sergei Polunin is still dancing - and I have never regretted attending one of his performances in Munich.

Here a quotation of the latest information by the Staatsballett:

"Sergei Polunin will return as Jean de Brienne in Ray Barra’s Raymonda on 19 and 20 January 2019.

The online, phone and box office sales has already started. For tickets please check the production website here.

Sergei Polunin will also be dancing the title role in Yuri Grigorovich’s Spartacus on 25 March 2019. Written ticket applications are already possible.

These bookings will be processed starting 22 December 2018. To hand in a written booking please click here.

The online, phone and box office sales start on 25 January 2019. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oberon said:

Sergei Polunin will also be dancing the title role in Yuri Grigorovich’s Spartacus on 25 March 2019.

In many of the Spartacus costumes you will see the tattoo  - I should go just to hear the reactions of the audience at the Munich Nationaltheater when they recognize Putin on the breast of a slave in ancient Rome... 😨😱  Or will he tape it?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Angela said:

In many of the Spartacus costumes you will see the tattoo  - I should go just to hear the reactions of the audience at the Munich Nationaltheater when they recognize Putin on the breast of a slave in ancient Rome... 😨😱  Or will he tape it?

Now you gave me an idea, this would definitely be interesting🙊🙈

On 25/11/2018 at 10:00, Bruce Wall said:

Polunin has got a new tattoo .... See here.  Speaks for itself really.  

I greatly respect Polunin who is brave enough to speak out on issues he believes in.  Art has always been connected to politics and art to sits politely on the sidelines and does not speak out is a dead art.  Besides Polunin and lived and worked in UK, Russia and Ukraine and experienced all three countries personally and in depth so who better to give opinions on the current situation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, annafranklin said:

On 25th November I did make the first posting.  That is the last and ONLY posting I made in the strand that day.  I made NO other comment.  Indeed I have made NO other comment since that first posting.  I am distressed that the second item appears under my name as - as far as I am aware - I did NOT write it.  Indeed cannot find it.  I would not - as far as I am aware - have written it - certainly in the current context.  Please can I have a public explanation.  I am MOST troubled by this.  

AS I CANNOT EDIT OR REMOVE MY OWN COMMENT - LET ME TELL ANYONE READING THIS THAT THE COMMENT MADE BY ANNAFRANKLIN ABOVE WAS ORIGINALLY QUOTED UNDER MY NAME.  IT WAS KINDLY REMOVED FROM MY ASSOCIATION BY A MODERATOR MINUTES LATER AND PUT UNDER ITS OWN AUTHOR'S CREDIT.

Edited by Bruce Wall

10 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

On 25th November I did make the first posting.  That is the last and ONLY posting I made in the strand that day.  I made NO other comment.  Indeed I have made NO other comment since that first posting.  I am distressed that the second item appears under my name as - as far as I am aware - I did NOT write it.  Indeed cannot find it.  I would not - as far as I am aware - have written it - certainlky in the current context.  Please can I have a public explanation.  I am MOST troubled by this.  

I have fixed this  I assume this was a simple error by the poster in using the forum software.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, annafranklin said:

I greatly respect Polunin who is brave enough to speak out on issues he believes in.  Art has always been connected to politics and art to sits politely on the sidelines and does not speak out is a dead art.  Besides Polunin and lived and worked in UK, Russia and Ukraine and experienced all three countries personally and in depth so who better to give opinions on the current situation.

I'm just not sure if I want to be forced to think about today's politics during Giselle or Spartacus because I see a politician's face on a dancer. Speaking out as an artist off stage is different from showing symbols in a performance that was once created by another artist.

• Like 3

Presumably this tattoo, like others, will be hidden/covered when he performs (unless it's some sort of political or personal work where the tattoo is deemed  to be relevant). Otherwise his career as a dancer will become untenable.

I know that very well, bridiem, but you know that tattoos tend to appear during a performance if they are only covered by make-up. Faroukh Ruzimatov taped the tattoos on his arms, the few times I saw Polunin he only used make-up, on the hands for example. I have no problems with tattoos, they are okay for me in modern works, but I don't want to see them in classical ballets - I vividly remember Aurora's mother with a small tattooed rose in her décolleté: it distracts, it makes you laugh. 

• Like 7

I personally can't stand tattoos, and I certainly don't want to see them on my classical princes!  I know that Polunin can hide his body tatts with clothes, but how about the ones on his hands and neck?  I know you can use cover makeup, but doesn't that run with sweat?  

• Like 9

I think I posted my comment under the wrong button.  Anyway I do respect Polunin and that he is brave enough to stand up for what he believes in.  About the tattoos I read an interview where he said that during performances his tattoos are covered with make-up although it sometimes rubs off on the costumes which his partners are not always very happy about

• Like 1

4 hours ago, annafranklin said:

I think I posted my comment under the wrong button.  Anyway I do respect Polunin and that he is brave enough to stand up for what he believes in.  About the tattoos I read an interview where he said that during performances his tattoos are covered with make-up although it sometimes rubs off on the costumes which his partners are not always very happy about

Brave?  Brave enough?  For what exactly?

His tattoos have only one function which is to draw attention and comment.  This is the oxygen which Polunin needs for his existence.  He is, as they say, quickly becoming famous for being famous.  No serious classical dancer can immerse themselves in a role whilst their body bears a picture of somebody who didn't even exist when the work being performed was created by ...yes, another artiste.  Utter disrespect - for his body, his art and the workof the original creator.  Oh, and lets not forget his talent which he has squandered remorselessly.

Polunin is now little more than a caricature.  If this is what makes him happy, then more power to him, but pretending that he is some brave campaigner using his art to highlight... what exactly... is simply ludicrous.

• Like 4